Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Isolite

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, just wondering if its worth purchasing an isolite reflective window kit for the T4? From my initial thinking about it, I presume it would reduce heat in the summer and also keep out sunlight.
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

I'm more a fan of the external style of screen cover. More effective at reducing condensation in the colder months because they fit tighter to the glass. Great at reducing unwanted light but you can fold a section down in the daytime. And as you say makes a reduction of heat in the summer. Only a small one though in reality. Ours came with a bag for storage too.

Okay, I was hoping for a big noticeable difference in hat reduction during the summer, even here in Ireland it can get quite hot in the morning when the sun is shining directly on to the camper, can only imagine what i could be like in France or Italy!!!!

Also bear in mind there are a load of these available but only a few are genuinely any good and fit nicely. Ours came from here.

Okay, I was hoping for a big noticeable difference in hat reduction during the summer, even here in Ireland it can get quite hot in the morning when the sun is shining directly on to the camper, can only imagine what i could be like in France or Italy!!!!
We've just got back from France. Used ours all the time. I'm sure it did contribute to a lower internal temperature, but other things worth doing are leaving the vents in the canvas open and investing in a Brandrup Airsafe for the tailgate - this securely holds the door open around 10cm and allows the air to flow.

Thes,e along with roof topper things remain a mystery to me.

Not once have we ever felt too cold/hot and I certainly don't need another thing to pack/unpack.

The normal windscreen curtains should be pretty effective and keeping out sunlight/heat?

I guess the only way is to try it.

Thes,e along with roof topper things remain a mystery to me.

Not once have we ever felt too cold/hot and I certainly don't need another thing to pack/unpack.

The normal windscreen curtains should be pretty effective and keeping out sunlight/heat?

I guess the only way is to try it.
The one thing the outer screen cover is definitely effective at is reducing the build up of condensation on the inside of any of the cab glass during camping in the colder months. Certainly with four onboard. Using it in the summer may (or not) provide some temperature regulation but it certainly frees up the top of the dashboard to use as and extra 'shelf' whilst most definitely stopping any light ingress. Still there are curtains around the other 75% of the vehicle that certainly aren't blackout material.

Cheers, I'll have a think about it. I'm still not convinced either way.

I'm using internal silver screens that suction cup to the inside of the glass. As pointed out though, I do suffer from condensation in colder weather, though not too much. I may well investigate external screens when it comes to replacements, we'll see.

In Croatia and Slovenia this summer they were invaluable in reflecting direct sunlight away from the van and keeping things a little cooler in there. With external temperatures of 35 degrees, it wouldn't be uncommon to see internal temperatures of over 40 degrees when parked up in the sun in carparks. However, in campsites, with the screens on and curtains drawn this would be considerably lower.

I also find them really effective in keeping light out. So much so, that really bright mornings don't wake us up as it's still dark in the van. With two small kids, we use the area behind the swivel seats and the cab in general as storage space quite a lot, so having full access without a curtain in the way is really useful.

Theres three screens in total and I find that they sit nicely on top of the top bunk when not in use and the roof just about closes down with them there.

I'm using internal silver screens that suction cup to the inside of the glass. As pointed out though, I do suffer from condensation in colder weather, though not too much. I may well investigate external screens when it comes to replacements, we'll see.

In Croatia and Slovenia this summer they were invaluable in reflecting direct sunlight away from the van and keeping things a little cooler in there. With external temperatures of 35 degrees, it wouldn't be uncommon to see internal temperatures of over 40 degrees when parked up in the sun in carparks. However, in campsites, with the screens on and curtains drawn this would be considerably lower.

I also find them really effective in keeping light out. So much so, that really bright mornings don't wake us up as it's still dark in the van. With two small kids, we use the area behind the swivel seats and the cab in general as storage space quite a lot, so having full access without a curtain in the way is really useful.

Theres three screens in total and I find that they sit nicely on top of the top bunk when not in use and the roof just about closes down with them there.
Cheers for the info, it might be worth trying to find a decent set to try them. I believe Brandrup do a kit for the T4, but I've only seen them for the front windscreen and front door windows.

Cheers for the advice and tips so far. I took the plunge and bought the Brandrup kit for the windscreen and front door windows. I'm sure the Brandrup kit is its usual quality. I don't think Brandrup do a kit for the rear windows, or I haven't found it yet. I'll see how I get on with the front ones and report back.

Back