Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Leisure Battery Advice Please

Simon67

Simon67

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just getting the Westy ready for the spring and realise that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in a new leisure battery. Just wondering what experiences you have had? Wet, gel or AGM seem to be the main options. Existing battery is a Varta truck battery. Bit concerned about wet as presumably potential to vent Hydrogen in a small box under my head when on hook up I'm no electrical expert so would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Simon

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just getting the Westy ready for the spring and realise that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in a new leisure battery. Just wondering what experiences you have had? Wet, gel or AGM seem to be the main options. Existing battery is a Varta truck battery. Bit concerned about wet as presumably potential to vent Hydrogen in a small box under my head when on hook up I'm no electrical expert so would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Simon

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/420000/part_id/3707145/lang/e

Parts 31 and 31A, show you what was originally fitted.

• Part Number : Sonnenschein Battery ( GF12110V / GF 12 110 V )
  • Manufacturer : Sonnenschein
  • Voltage (V) : 12
  • Ah : 120
  • Cold Cranking : n/a
  • Battery Application : Deep Cycle

Incl. VAT: £291.00

got this one for my T4 california exclusive...Battery megastore Tewkesbury

I replaced mine with a AGM and been pleased. When I bought the van I feared it wasn't charging correctly and didn't want to fry such an expensive replacement. Was only about 120 delivered (and lifted in.... Mine has a bigger battery). 5 year warranty.

Is there anything special about AGM charging?

Is there anything special about AGM charging?

I've not changed anything, although there has been talk here about dip switches behind the control panel, for different batteries.

After much research, decision made. Going for a Varta LFD 140ah. About £165 all in. Was tempted by 180 ah but some suggestions that the charger might struggle leading to undercharged battery and possible damage to charger. Now need a starter battery too