Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 water problem

Bobt4westy1998

Bobt4westy1998

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi I’ve only started using my van again after having other commitments ,
I’ve been away in it 2 times doing around 250 miles on each journey , and noticed the water needs topping up a bit when I get back.

I’ve had the engine pressure tested that seems fine. ..................any suggestions.

What’s your engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you see any leaks outside the van? If it is parked after a longer run, do you see water under the van?
If you open the bonnet, can you see any signs of pinkish traces somewhere around the engine or the radiator? (Or another color if your coolant isn't pink)
If not, there might be an internal leak?
How is your engine oil level? If it is too high, there might be water in the oil.

No I can’t see any leaks outside the van or under the van , no pink traces around the engine. I know things are not right even though it’s only a small amount of water.

The only thing I’ve had done on the van is the cam belt when I first got it
but where I haven’t not used it it’s not come to light till now. :confused:

do you see any leaks outside the van? If it is parked after a longer run, do you see water under the van?
If you open the bonnet, can you see any signs of pinkish traces somewhere around the engine or the radiator? (Or another color if your coolant isn't pink)
If not, there might be an internal leak?
How is your engine oil level? If it is too high, there might be water in the oil.

No I can’t see any leaks outside the van or under the van , no pink traces around the engine. I know things are not right even though it’s only a small amount of water.

The only thing I’ve had done on the van is the cam belt when I first got it
but where I haven’t not used it it’s not come to light till now. :confused:

Yes he did.

That’s good. It should eliminate the pump as the problem. There are quite a lot of joints on the cooling system so it could be that a pipe has perished and is no longer sealed properly. When you say it needs topping up a bit, how much coolant are we talking? If it’s just a splash I’d be tempted to leave it, assuming it’s not below the minimum and see if it still loses more coolant.

That’s good. It should eliminate the pump as the problem. There are quite a lot of joints on the cooling system so it could be that a pipe has perished and is no longer sealed properly. When you say it needs topping up a bit, how much coolant are we talking? If it’s just a splash I’d be tempted to leave it, assuming it’s not below the minimum and see if it still loses more coolant.

I would say the last time I went away I checked the level and it was bang on the max ,
Drove for about 180 to 240 miles when I got back it was on the min.

Just had a water leak fixed on my AAB syncro. Was leaking from the metal coolant header pipe down at the bottom of the engine bay and also the engine thermostat which is plastic and prone to leaking. Worth a look on both.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I would say the last time I went away I checked the level and it was bang on the max ,
Drove for about 180 to 240 miles when I got back it was on the min.

Hi , do you think it’s worth trying to trace all the hoses that would of been taken off.

Just had a water leak fixed on my AAB syncro. Was leaking from the metal coolant header pipe down at the bottom of the engine bay and also the engine thermostat which is plastic and prone to leaking. Worth a look on both.

Have you had any work done on the engine before the leak,or did it just start leaking.???

Have you had any work done on the engine before the leak,or did it just start leaking.???
Just started leaking. Mine sits for a long time each year like yours. I'd noticed the header pipe was badly corroded but the dude who fixed mine in Scarborough also noticed the thermostat too

Back