Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Westfalia Freestyle - worth the money??

E

emile_b

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for your advice on this.

We currently own a knackered T25 that we are planning on upgrading from. We have around 20k to spend and have been looking at used T5 conversions.

All set to find ourselves a 2rd party conversion, I've confused the matter by just finding a mint 2003 T4 Westfalia Freestyle. It's a lot of money for a T4 at £23k, but being a Westy it's a very different conversion to the 'man in shed' style T5 conversion we'd get for similar money (we just don't have the cash for a T5 Cali at the moment), and it's fully loaded with everything from heated seats and cruise control to double glazing etc...

Ultimately we want to spend our money on a van that will last us for years of trecking up and down the country loaded with dog, mountain bikes, climbing gear, roughing it in the middle of no where and using the van to it's fullest potential. My gut tells me the conversion in the Freestyle will wear and work a lot better then the 'fancy' 3rd party conversions with their wood cabinets and finished worktops.

I guess the bottomline question is - if you were in my position would you go with the late factory fitted T4, or an early T5 conversion? And is the T4 priced right for what it is, or just overpriced?

Your help would be much appreciated! It goes without saying if I am posting in the wrong place then apologies...maybe you could point me to a more suitable forum?

Cheers

Emile

Hi Emile welcome there are a lot of t4 Cali owners on here who will be able to advise you
We have had a t4 Cali come in for sale today. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6543

If it's the right van for you, then yes, the Westy T4's are highly regarded

They're a lovely vehicle and may prove a safer bet than an unknown conversion, you will have the support of a large community.

I would probably take it over a T5 homebrew. It's also likely to keep it's value and certainly be collectible.

So, yes :)

I would say that the Freestyle is around the right price.

However, I've seen T5 Cali's around £26/27k, especially if you consider a LHD one which the Westie will be.

Some will say the Freestyle will hold it's value, but I guess the question is, would you prefer a early T5 or a late T4 if they were the same price, as in 1 to 2 years T5's will most likely be available for the same money as you would pay for a late T4 now.

I should add that personally I would rather get a 'proper' conversion so if it's a homebrew T5 or a factory T4, i'd go factory everytime.

reserves said:
I would say that the Freestyle is around the right price.

However, I've seen T5 Cali's around £26/27k, especially if you consider a LHD one which the Westie will be.

Some will say the Freestyle will hold it's value, but I guess the question is, would you prefer a early T5 or a late T4 if they were the same price, as in 1 to 2 years T5's will most likely be available for the same money as you would pay for a late T4 now.

Very good point :). You could import an t5 Cali and it would come in around that price.

I'd take the T4 Westy over the early T5 conversion.

But I might be a bit biased :D

I've been in a couple of late Westys and they are very nice.

The Westy will hold it's value much better than the conversion over time. It will still devalue, but the Westy market seems to bottom out around 7k-ish? Even for 20+ years and big miles. LHD isn't a problem for most people.

And most importantly, you've got us to chat with ;)

Hi guys thanks for all your replies - really helpful.

The idea of sourcing and importing from abroad really isn't on our radar at the moment, plus to be honest the T4 interior seems so usable for us - it's got cubbyholes and pockets galore!

So the general consensus is price is right and and solid purchase?

How do you guys find the driving experience between these late T4's and early T5's ?- is it going the be comfy and easy enough to use as a daily driver? I know the T5 is more refined, but will we really be giving away that much given how sorted this particular T4 is?

Thanks agin for the help!

Back