Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Westfalia newbee

T

T4westy

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all,
I have a T4 westfalia 03 plate.
I have had this van for 6 years and we love it,I recently took it to the Belgium Gp for a boys jolly.
Only one problem my new leisure battery didn't like the hot weather and just didn't work on the 2 hot days we had.
Question is do I need a vent in the side of the wooden panel or go back to a proper Gel battery like god created..
I'm sure the later is the correct way to go or will the price difference really make the difference.
I've only had the van with a non Gel battery.
Thanks all

Hi all,
I have a T4 westfalia 03 plate.
I have had this van for 6 years and we love it,I recently took it to the Belgium Gp for a boys jolly.
Only one problem my new leisure battery didn't like the hot weather and just didn't work on the 2 hot days we had.
Question is do I need a vent in the side of the wooden panel or go back to a proper Gel battery like god created..
I'm sure the later is the correct way to go or will the price difference really make the difference.
I've only had the van with a non Gel battery.
Thanks all
Are you sure that was the reason? Standard Lead Acid batteries have usage range of -20c to over 50c . Been in some pretty high ambient temperatures in Italy and never had that problem.
Did the engine battery fail as well?

Last edited:
Are you sure that was the reason? Standard Lead Acid batteries have usage range of -20c to over 50c . Been in some pretty high ambient temperatures in Italy and never had that problem.
Did the engine battery fail as well?
Hi, No engine battery a ok. Had this happen twice now on 35 degrees days. Got a new leisure battery 2 weeks before I set off and now still working fine just hot days it suffers. Is your battery stored away in a cupboard ?

Hi, No engine battery a ok. Had this happen twice now on 35 degrees days. Got a new leisure battery 2 weeks before I set off and now still working fine just hot days it suffers. Is your battery stored away in a cupboard ?
On the California 1 is in a cupboard and the other in a thick rubber cover under the passenger seat. Your problem is not something I've seen mentioned before by other owners.

Hi, I only have one in the cupboard as i have captain seats in the front!!

Hi, I only have one in the cupboard as i have captain seats in the front!!
On the California both front seats swivel. That’s standard. Fixed seats are optional.

Hi,so are you saying I have another battery under my seat?

Hi,so are you saying I have another battery under my seat?
Possibly. I’m no expert on the T4 Westfalia. If you have, move the passenger seat forward and look from the rear. On the California the Battery has a large rubber like cover over it.

For the 2003 model I’m not sure where a 2nd Battery might be.
This might help.
Scroll down to the 12v electrical system

Last edited:
The T4 only has space for the battery under the wardrobe in the back. Some vans had two batteries, but I think that was only the early ones? Check out the T4 website here for more info.

With regards battery type, the space under the wardrobe is only designed for Gel batteries, there is no ventilation for lead acid batteries and putting vents into the compartment will only vent dangerous gasses into the living space. Don't skimp on the batteries, get yourself a good gel battery like Westfalia intended.

The T4 only has space for the battery under the wardrobe in the back. Some vans had two batteries, but I think that was only the early ones? Check out the T4 website here for more info.

With regards battery type, the space under the wardrobe is only designed for Gel batteries, there is no ventilation for lead acid batteries and putting vents into the compartment will only vent dangerous gasses into the living space. Don't skimp on the batteries, get yourself a good gel battery like Westfalia intended.
Hi, Agreed had to much troble so I will ve doing this asap. Thanks all.