Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Westfalia Roof Canvas Replacement.

Hazeandfizz

Hazeandfizz

All,

Please find attached photos of my recent roof canvas replacement.

Not a bad job to do, started at about lunchtime on Sunday and finished 1st atage at 8pm. This just left the bottom seal to secure, I made a special tool to help push the bottom seal in (also used Fairy liquid/water on the seal), this was the only difficult part of the swap.

Regards,
James.

Clock 044.jpg Clock 045.jpg Clock 047.jpg Clock 048.jpg Clock.jpg

Looks good, where did you get the replacement tent, is it the Gunzl one?

While ours isn't as bad as yours appeared to be (ours is mostly stains, with a few patches at the front) , it's on the list of things to change eventually.

Thanks, I take it you are happy with the quality of the replacement tent?

ta,
dan

Hi,what kind of special tool did u make to fit it,just ordered one for my westy,got any tips?? Good job on yours. Thanks Neil

I made a flat nylon tool, 100mm long, 50mm wide and 5mm thick. I then put a large chamfer on one end. This made the corners very sharp so I then rounded them off incase I slipped!

Make sure if you use a lubricant (fairy liquid etc) on the seal it does not come into contact with the canvas as it can wash the waterproofing agant off.

Regards,
James.

Great info James - Thanks!!
I've just ordered one from Gunzl and plan on fitting it myself. It seems a lot less daunting when someone has already done it and given tips, so thanks!!
When fitting the replacement did you start with the top of the canvas first i.e. attached to the pop-top, then the base of the canvas which clamps to the roof?
Think i'll get a tool made up ready too :thumb

Yes I started at the top.

Started in one corner at the front, then finished the front section then did each side and finished at the back.

When fitting the lower seal I started in the middle at the back and worked round.

Regards,
James.

Cheers James. Received my new canvas from Gunzl, really chuft with it as the quality is spot on!!
Tool also ready, just need some dry weather and I'm good to go!
I also ordered the rubber seal that sits on the base of the poptop as this was knackered. Again the quality looks great so will feedback how it all fits :thumb

Would any of you fine fellows be willing to part with your old roof canvas? I'd be very interested to have a look for obvious reasons! ;)

I did think about putting it on ebay but I'm sorry to say it went in the bin.

James.

Hi again,still haven't got around to fitting mine yet! Do you need any sealant or anything to do the canvas swap,or does it just go under the metal rail that's screwed down? Thanks in advance,Neil
:help

Hi Neil,

No sealant required. Top part just clamps under metal ring and lower section is held in place by the runner seal.

Good luck,
James.

So do you need to take all the screws out of the bottom rail to fit the seal in or does it just push in the metal rail with the canvas under it,was gonna give it ago,but noticed about 4 inches of the seal missing at the back of mine so gonna order another. :thanks

No don't remove screws from lower rail.

Your correct, rubber seal will trap the canvas in place as you push the seal into the groove. As you go you can stretch the seal and then the ends should meet. It's not a problem if you have a small gap in the seal at the back as the roof over-hang keeps the rain off this area.

Regards,
James.

Ndh511 said:
So do you need to take all the screws out of the bottom rail to fit the seal in or does it just push in the metal rail with the canvas under it,was gonna give it ago,but noticed about 4 inches of the seal missing at the back of mine so gonna order another. :thanks

Thanks ever so much for all your helpful answers James
Neil

Finally got started on replacing my canvas today - well the rubber pop top seal anyway ;)
Wanted to make sure it was all watertight before fitting the new canvas so it doesn't end up black with mildew like the original.
The ends of the old seal weren't glued together so wasn't watertight :evil:
The replacement from Gunzl is spot on. It's welded together at the ends so no worries there!
Fitting was easy enough, just had to warm it slightly with a heat gun to allow it to expand a bit as it's quite a snug fit.
Glad I revisited this post though, as after I'd finished the seal I started removing all the screws on the bottom channel to remove the canvas!!
I'm going to have another look after the kids have gone to bed, is it just a rubber seal/strip that holds the lower section in?

Yes, it's just the rubber seal holding it in. I've just pulled out mine with some trepidation and am a touch nervous at getting it back in but was relieved to see this thread making it seem relatively simple.

diyhell said:
Yes, it's just the rubber seal holding it in. I've just pulled out mine with some trepidation and am a touch nervous at getting it back in but was relieved to see this thread making it seem relatively simple.

Sound, thanks for clearing that up. Going to have another go this week and will post up some pics! Good luck with yours :thanks

I'm glad this post is providing useful to you guys.

Happy camping,
Jim.

Had another go at the canvas last night while the weather was decent, the rubber seal securing the lower section of the canvas can be seen below
[album]1434[/album]
This simply pulls out leaving the canvas free to pull out of the alu channel
[album]1435[/album]
I then worked my way round the van pulling the canvas from the channel
[album]1436[/album]
Then time to start on the upper side of the canvas attached to the poptop. This is secured by the alu trim so just remove the screws and the trim will come away as well as the canvas. This shows has nasty my canvas had got - look at that mildew it looks worse in the pics too!!
[album]1437[/album]
Once this trim is removed the canvas can then be pulled over the poptop and removed.
[album]1438[/album]
Once all this lot was off I spent the next couple of hours cleaning it all ready for the new canvas!! No more nasty mildew :p

Had to stop due to psychosis / exhaustion but hoping to start the refit tonight!! Will keep you posted

Hi all
Finally got the canvas on my pop top finished, hope this info proves useful for anyone else tackling the job.
Started the refit on Thursday night as we had plans to go camping on the weekend so no pressure :crazy
First job was to secure the canvas to the underside of the pop top using the alu trim.
This took me and a mate 2 hours to complete starting in the middle at the front and working our way round to the back.
It's a fiddly job and an extra pair of hands really helped!!
We loosely fitted the channel to the pop top first then gently pushed the canvas into the trim, before tightening once happy with the position.
The canvas has string sewn into the seam and it's this that is clamped in the recess of the trim.
No real issues with this, just took our time and made sure the seams in the centre of the canvas aligned with the centre of the roof.
Once this was done it was time to secure the lower part of the canvas into the other alu trim using the rubber seal.
[album]1446[/album]
This was pushed in using the tool James suggested and worked sweet :thanks
The corners were a bit reluctant to go in so a blunt punch and mallet was used here to 'help' things along, being careful not to slip!
Really pleased with the quality and fit, it's spot on, here's a few pics all finished :thumb
[album]1447[/album]
[album]1448[/album]

Top job.

James.

Daveyr1974 said:
Hi all
Finally got the canvas on my pop top finished, hope this info proves useful for anyone else tackling the job.
Started the refit on Thursday night as we had plans to go camping on the weekend so no pressure :crazy
First job was to secure the canvas to the underside of the pop top using the alu trim.
This took me and a mate 2 hours to complete starting in the middle at the front and working our way round to the back.
It's a fiddly job and an extra pair of hands really helped!!
We loosely fitted the channel to the pop top first then gently pushed the canvas into the trim, before tightening once happy with the position.
The canvas has string sewn into the seam and it's this that is clamped in the recess of the trim.
No real issues with this, just took our time and made sure the seams in the centre of the canvas aligned with the centre of the roof.
Once this was done it was time to secure the lower part of the canvas into the other alu trim using the rubber seal.
[album]1446[/album]
This was pushed in using the tool James suggested and worked sweet :thanks
The corners were a bit reluctant to go in so a blunt punch and mallet was used here to 'help' things along, being careful not to slip!
Really pleased with the quality and fit, it's spot on, here's a few pics all finished :thumb
[album]1447[/album]
[album]1448[/album]

Good job well done :thumb

My turn next :eek: ordered new canvas from gunzl last week all pic and info will come in handy, I will read the post a couple more time before starting :crazy

Back