Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 Cali parking sensor fault... where is the rear sounder???

• Thread starter Mofty in Meysey
  • Start date
M

Mofty in Meysey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello everyone - a little help required please.

A while back we had a front end smunch in the van and today the body work is fixed but the guy doing the body work (amazing BTW) has a fault code come up which indicates the rear sounder is shorted or there is a ground fault.

All of the damage to the van was front end which is odd but this is the question, an anyone advise where exactly the sensor is please so we may help the poor fellow?

thanks in advance.

Martin

Hello everyone - a little help required please.

A while back we had a front end smunch in the van and today the body work is fixed but the guy doing the body work (amazing BTW) has a fault code come up which indicates the rear sounder is shorted or there is a ground fault.

All of the damage to the van was front end which is odd but this is the question, an anyone advise where exactly the sensor is please so we may help the poor fellow?

thanks in advance.

Martin

Hi it’s in the most awkward of places to get to screwed to the side of the body control module carrier bracket on the drivers front behind the lower dash trim facing the inside of the lower a pillar

It may seem a bit simple but has he checked all the front sensors are firing? It's easy done and if one isn't working for whatever reason it can throw the entire system out. It's a simple test - ignition on, select reverse gear, go and listen to each sensor - they make a high frequency but audible sound. If one isn't playing ball it could be the sensor that's at fault or there's a break in the wire to it.

thanks everyone, The sensors are working it seems, (both front and rear). The problem is the system has recognised a fault and is now not wanting to work. It flashed a fault B107C14 and the comments indicating the rear sounder had an earth problem and so now the system has totally shut down... no sensors, no rear camera....it just wants to give up!
The accident was all at the front end so the rear sensor failure is a mystery other than a potential loom short. The loom weaves its way around the front bumper so we are more curious about damage from there which we have not been able to spot.
It appears there are mixed views on where the sounder is... some say it is behind the driver above the "B" post... others way toward the back.
Last night the mechanic found another Cali and did a rearing test trying to find the sounder - he swears that he heard it somewhere close the the gas bottle :). ..

any more?

Hi it’s in the most awkward of places to get to screwed to the side of the body control module carrier bracket on the drivers front behind the lower dash trim facing the inside of the lower a pillar
Thanks for that.... I'm finding it difficult to imagine, could you post a photo of roughly where you think it is please?

it sounds like you are describing the Front sounder?

What happens if the code is reset? Does it come straight back?
Well, interestingly, the code has disappeared and there is nothing to reset.... and still nothing works.

Do you get any signs of life from the system when engaging reverse? A long beep tone or other sound.

Do you get any signs of life from the system when engaging reverse? A long beep tone or other sound.
I think so. I saw it yesterday and I can't remember now... whats your theory?

I think so. I saw it yesterday and I can't remember now... whats your theory?
Given your recent front end accident repair and now the parking sensor failure I'm inclined to think it's sensor or circuit related. It's quite common with most VAG vehicles that one failed sensor or circuit to it can render the entire system useless. Have you got the vehicle accessible? You can check the sensors yourself if you've two minutes and a quiet place. Dead easy to do.

On my Transporter Kombi, the sounder is located in the left hand rear behind a trim panel. Its near to an earth point near the back about a foot up from the floor. Not sure if it's located in a different place in the Cali.

Given your recent front end accident repair and now the parking sensor failure I'm inclined to think it's sensor or circuit related. It's quite common with most VAG vehicles that one failed sensor or circuit to it can render the entire system useless. Have you got the vehicle accessible? You can check the sensors yourself if you've two minutes and a quiet place. Dead easy to do.
I believe he has tested all of the sensors and can feel them vibrating when in gear so the sensors appear to be working... what next?

Snip

Last night the mechanic found another Cali and did a rearing test trying to find the sounder - he swears that he heard it somewhere close the the gas bottle :). ..

any more?
I would agree with that, The rear sounder on my 2010 Cali is definitely coming from the rear N/S corner and becomes muffled when I have the back loaded with bedding. The front sensors sounder is from under the dash and a lot louder. The tone is different too.

Alan

Number 6 is the offending item.
perhaps - I've linked in my body shop so they can dig.
Also, just tried to connect with you over conversation and failed, do you need to allow me to follow you.
Many thanks for the diagram.
Is there a wiring diagram too? it would be good to deduce the logic of the system and start to draw some conclusions. I can't see why the rear sounder has failed in this circumstance - it doesn't make any sense!

perhaps - I've linked in my body shop so they can dig.
Also, just tried to connect with you over conversation and failed, do you need to allow me to follow you.
Many thanks for the diagram.
Not sure what 'Conversation' is. Sounds like it might be a VIP feature. Sorry.

Back