Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 fittings for VW T6 rack - do they exist?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can buy the appropriate fittings to mount the official VW T6 rack onto a T5 tailgate. However, extensive searching both here and elsewhere has turned up nothing. Is it possible? Does anyone know where I can get the bits?

This isn't a purely cosmetic consideration - I run 2.5" tyres on a modern bike with a long wheelbase, and the T6 rack seems to have wider trays than the T5 version (but if anyone can point me to exact specs regarding length and width, that would also be very helpful!). Prior experience has shown that the Fiamma trays are too short and too narrow. I can't afford a towbar and a rack, so it has to be tailgate-mounted, and I want to get into the boot while bikes are loaded, so the Thule Wanderway is no use either.

Why can’t you open the boot with the Thule rack?
You can get the Thule rails seperatly in the form of the 3rd & 4th bike kit & fit those to a vw rack.

I assume it's not rated enough in a particular direction of force. Their website is silent on the matter, so I emailed them to ask specifically about raising the tailgate, and they replied to say that it's not possible "of course".

Have you considered a Thule Raceway? Tailgate mount and as it supports on the frame no issues regarding wheel size.

Maximum bike weight 15kg unfortunately.

VW T6 rack looks like the best option, I just can't find any trace of being able to fit it to a T5.

For reference if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, VW Van Centre Birmingham have just told me that it's not possible to get alternatives brackets to fit the official VW T6 rack to a T5 tailgate.

For reference if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, VW Van Centre Birmingham have just told me that it's not possible to get alternatives brackets to fit the official VW T6 rack to a T5 tailgate.
Bear in mind that most dealers tell you that you need to buy a whole new rack if one of the clamping screws fall off (£10 posted in the end from Liverpool) so don't necessarily give up just on their word.

Thanks. Alas, all Googling has also drawn a blank. I shall keep investigating!

They are right you cant buy the bits to convert a T6 rack to fit a T5

I add a question on this thread: My original T5 bike rack is now 12 years old. I need new protection film to put on the tailgate AND new rubber strips for the clamps. Anyone knows where I can find ? Thanks