Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 says "Roof open" when I tell it to open the roof!

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
In a case of pointing out the blindingly obvious, our T5.1 has taken to raising the roof a fraction when I press the "Open" button, then stopping and displaying the "Roof open" message (the same as if you were to try and drive off with the roof up). I then have to back out all the way to the 'main' control panel screen, go back into the roof menu and select "Open" again, at which point it behaves impeccably and raises the roof the rest of the way. It's only happening intermittently, which is frustrating, and is booked into the main dealer from whom we purchased it so that it can be inspected on Monday. Just wondered if anyone else had ever had anything similar (forewarned is forearmed in discussions with dealer, etc!). Sounded perhaps similar to symptoms described here, but a search didn't throw up anything else. Thanks!

In a case of pointing out the blindingly obvious, our T5.1 has taken to raising the roof a fraction when I press the "Open" button, then stopping and displaying the "Roof open" message (the same as if you were to try and drive off with the roof up). I then have to back out all the way to the 'main' control panel screen, go back into the roof menu and select "Open" again, at which point it behaves impeccably and raises the roof the rest of the way. It's only happening intermittently, which is frustrating, and is booked into the main dealer from whom we purchased it so that it can be inspected on Monday. Just wondered if anyone else had ever had anything similar (forewarned is forearmed in discussions with dealer, etc!). Sounded perhaps similar to symptoms described here, but a search didn't throw up anything else. Thanks!
Have you checked for any Diagnostic Codes on the Control Panel . Details on the Thread you linked to.

No fault codes, and no issue found by the main dealer. We agreed I'd video the two different ways the roof reacts when I open it, so will update if/when that happens and hopefully compare to everyone else.

Stupid question, but did you have the engine running? Mine sometimes does the same, but think it only happens when the engine’s running (as it thinks you might drive off with it open). Don’t think it happens if it’s just the ignition on. I’ll check myself tonight!

I didn’t have to go back through the menu though, just wait for the message/beeping to stop after a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Funny as i had my roof up just now since a long time....:mad:
Engine running (always) , at first it said "roof up" while it was down .
Then pushed button again and all normal .

So I tried mine out this evening, starting with roof fully closed then trying to open it:
  • With engine off (just ignition on) I do not get the 'Roof Open' message
  • With engine running but cable connected I also did not get the message, but did get the 'Cable' warning as soon as the engine was started.
  • With engine running and cable disconnected I did get the 'Roof Open' warning as soon as the roof cracked open slightly. As the the OP says, I did take me back to the start of the menu and I had to re-select 'Roof' and 'Open'. I repeated this several time, though on one occasion I did not get the warning.
Personally I didn't think of it as a fault - I just assumed that there is some trigger that latches the first time the roof registers as open with the engine on, irrespective of whether you're inadvertently about to drive off, about to close it or have just selected 'Open'. I guess it's not smart enough to figure out which buttons you've pressed.

I stand by to be corrected if they is not how everyone else's behaves....

Thanks all - after further investigation, mine behaves exactly as @MeltedGoldfish described. Apologies for any confusion caused, but prior to investigating I would have bet a large sum of money that I had always raised the roof with the engine running and that I had never seen that warning before. Clearly I was wrong!

Further update: seems the behaviour isn’t so consistent after all. Opened the roof this weekend on arrival at campsite, engine running with cable not yet connected, and it opened fully without the ‘Roof Open’ warning appearing.

So, I can’t fully explain why it appears in some instances and not others. I’m not convinced it’s clever enough to know that I’ve just driven to the campsite, but there might be some kind of timer mechanism in the software code. Who knows, but it’s not enough to worry me, just mildly annoying when it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back