Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 2008 Cali on eBay - damaged sill. Peoples thoughts sought.

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
As per a previous post, we’re looking to upgrade from a t4 reimo camper to a Cali.
After dreaming of new, then nearly new, then 40k, then 35k it seems that 30k is probably where we should be looking.
The perfect van is for sale on this forum as a t5 4motion, but at the moment our money is tied up in our 2 other vehciles, which we’ll look to sell, but I fear the Cali will be sold before we can sought out finances.
In the meantime we spotted this one on eBay.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223416413695

She looks ‘well used’ with a fair amount of wear and tear both inside and out.
She seems great value for money though and I suspect may get sold sub 25k, but the damaged sill puts us off 100%

What are people views on this damage? Are we daft to rule this van out as a cheaper way to join the Cali family?

Personally I'd ask for some more photos of the areas that cause concern. If the seller is genuine then this should not be a difficult request.

Once you have the good clear photos then you can post a specific message on here to get reaction.

Price seems very reasonable, but you need to know how much it will cost to fix the issues.

Ask for photos of the damaged sill area with the door open.

If it were closer I’d pop along and have a look in the flesh, but I won’t be in London for a few weeks.
The sill damage is on the passenger side and looks to be towards the rear, so not near the door.
I guess we’re not too bothered about a cosmetic issue, but would be more concerned if it were structural. (Pair of side bars could hide it and would be cheaper than a repair.)
I think we’d ask for an Mot pass before we parted with any cash if we were to proceed.
I know there’s only 2 poor photos to look at so it’s not great, but does the sill form part of any structural strength of the van?

That sort of damage is common on vans and easily done when a corner, which has a low bollard or wall on the apex is taken wrongly. I did it to a previous T5 van I had on contract.

As a result a good body shop (such as MG Cannon in Westbury, or SJ Curtis in Bristol) will be able to repair it leaving you with a decent Cali and some money in your pocket.

Alan

If your heart is saying yes but your head is saying no. Go with your head. £25k is still a lot of flaming money for what is still a 11 year old vehicle.

I personally wouldn't buy blind as you may have a potential money pit to contend with. I'd suggest using an independent inspection supplier to check it over and get a fresh MOT done and see what advisories are showing.

Example of inspection supplier (never used personally)
https://www.nationalvehicleinspections.com/

Example of risk is that my neighbours son bought a Ford Connect van to do odd jobs that only needed 'a couple of gaiters replacing for the MOT'.
Ignition switch was a bit loose also. He took it to local Ford dealer for MOT & the minor repairs to ignition switch and the couple of gaiters. Final bill was £1750.00 mainly for ignition switch as it was virtually a new steering column required, not obvious until dismantled.
What looks minor on the outside usually isn't in cost terms.

12 hours to run and no bids.

I would be on my way to go and look at it.
It could be had for 21,000.

If your heart is saying yes but your head is saying no. Go with your head. £25k is still a lot of flaming money for what is still a 11 year old vehicle.
Its not just an 11yr old ´vehicle´ its a 5 pot California.

A mint T4 can be 20k + and they can be 16-20 yrs old.
A T3 Bluestar, a t2 westy, a T1 ????

The age really doesn't come into it.

What’s wrong with a 5 pot Cali?
It seems for our budget it’s about all we can stretch to.
I’ve always had vehicles with a bit of poke, so don’t want to consider a 140 and and feel the bitdi 180’s in our budget are ages 2010/2011 so could be at risk of known issues.
Is there anything I should be aware of re: 2.5 ?

What’s wrong with a 5 pot Cali?
It seems for our budget it’s about all we can stretch to.
I’ve always had vehicles with a bit of poke, so don’t want to consider a 140 and and feel the bitdi 180’s in our budget are ages 2010/2011 so could be at risk of known issues.
Is there anything I should be aware of re: 2.5 ?
No nothing wrong at all.
Some say they are the best ones ever made.

Minimum requirement for a German vehicle is 5 cylinders, preferably 6.

FACT

:) Been in 5 pot Volvo’s for the last 15 years and always enjoyed them, but a few more bhp in my current chariot.
Watch for a new thread as I’ve given the thumbs up for another 2008 Cali this eve as my head said to walk away from this one on eBay for many reasons. (Damage, private sale, shoddy photos, no photos of roof up, tatty paint work etc etc.) It could be a steal, but both head and heart have agreed on a different one.
Once deposit has been paid I’ll share details and seek thoughts/advice for viewing.

(Only been on this forum a short while and loving the support/contributions - hope to be in ‘the club’ soon.)

Well I wouldn't be interested if I were in your position. Just wait a little longer and the right unmolested vehicle will turn up, probably younger and in much better condition.

I've bought a lot of items from Ebay and with only one minor exception, I've never had a problem. However buying a vehicle for that much requires a full and close inspection that should involve every aspect of the vehicle. Only then would you be in a position to make a considered decision. Unless you can see it in the flesh best avoid it.

Also unless you are happy to live with the body damage it will probably cost thousands to put right.

Like you said, 'mint' so yes, age does come into it if it isnt mint and that 11 year old cali aint no mint cali ;)

When you see it, if it sounds right and drives right
Like you said, 'mint' so yes, age does come into it if it isnt mint and that 11 year old cali aint no mint cali ;)
The Cali on ebay could probably be had for around 20k, i didn't say
that is was mint, i said a mint T4 can be 20k +
A minter would be more like 30k.

For the right person, the ebay one will be a good buy.
i.e. his best mate is a panel beater.
Although Iver never understood why people would sell a car
on ebay.

I’ve an 11yr old 174 “5 pot” - in really good condition with 139k on the clock still worth £22k!

The damage to the sill looks pretty significant to me so wouldn't go anywhere near it. Looks like it's sold now anyway , bide your time and you will drop on a good one. Best to sell your other vehicles first so you have the cash to make a serious offer.

Ours is 11 years old 76k one previous owner fsh in mint condition and we wouldn't let her go for less than 28k.

As per a previous post, we’re looking to upgrade from a t4 reimo camper to a Cali.
After dreaming of new, then nearly new, then 40k, then 35k it seems that 30k is probably where we should be looking.
The perfect van is for sale on this forum as a t5 4motion, but at the moment our money is tied up in our 2 other vehciles, which we’ll look to sell, but I fear the Cali will be sold before we can sought out finances.
In the meantime we spotted this one on eBay.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223416413695

She looks ‘well used’ with a fair amount of wear and tear both inside and out.
She seems great value for money though and I suspect may get sold sub 25k, but the damaged sill puts us off 100%

What are people views on this damage? Are we daft to rule this van out as a cheaper way to join the Cali family?
Just been relisted.

I would consider it. Check it out thoroughly and price up the repair work... you would be getting a Cali with the same bells and whistles as the newer vans which you can keep for a season or two then decide to go newer if needed later. You will get your money back. we have had Type 2s two T3 Westfalias and an early T4 Westfalia which have all been fantastic and all sold for more than I purchased for. Currently have a 2006 Cali bought from this forum which was high (ish) mileage and needed some bodywork. Now all fixed up with new wings and some ace metalwork from a friend and serviced by my trusted old skool vw mechanic. Its the best bus we have owned! Reliable, usable and always ready to go... Its way better than a newer conversion IMHO. Structurally its just a T5 so easy to get advice and work done if you decide to go for it?!

Have a day out in London and check it out...

T2 bought for 3K in 1998 sold for 7K in 2002.
T3 early westy bought 2002 for 3500 sold 2007 for 8K
T3 late westy bought 2008 for 8K sold 2010 for 11k
Early '91 T4 westy bought 6K in 2011 sold 9K in 2014

Cali holding it own and will go up as its a future classic...

No nothing wrong at all.
Some say they are the best ones ever made.

Awsome engine and on a cam chain not a belt, our first cali was a 130 and felt more pokie than the 150 we just sold (but loved)
The t4 will also be a 5 pot grunt low reving and last forever

Back