Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 bike rack questions

K

KBR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I'm a new Cali owner and have figured out most things, but i'm a bit stumped on a couple of bike rack related matters. I have a 2014 California SE with the standard T5 bike rack for 4 bikes. Issues/questions are:

- The longest of the bike rack arms blocks the movement of the rear wiper. I can't seem to move it in such a way as to solve the issue
- The middle of the 3 main bike rack arms is not attached at all.... it was given to me loose. I can't figure out how to attach it

If anyone has any thoughts or info on the bike rack arms in general and how they should be mounted and then stored whilst not in use, would be really grateful. I'm not very logically minded when it comes to stuff like this so may be missing the obvious.

I also seem to be missing the bike to bike arm for the 4th bike, but i'm sure I can find one online to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all,

I'm a new Cali owner and have figured out most things, but i'm a bit stumped on a couple of bike rack related matters. I have a 2014 California SE with the standard T5 bike rack for 4 bikes. Issues/questions are:

- The longest of the bike rack arms blocks the movement of the rear wiper. I can't seem to move it in such a way as to solve the issue
- The middle of the 3 main bike rack arms is not attached at all.... it was given to me loose. I can't figure out how to attach it

If anyone has any thoughts or info on the bike rack arms in general and how they should be mounted and then stored whilst not in use, would be really grateful. I'm not very logically minded when it comes to stuff like this so may be missing the obvious.

I also seem to be missing the bike to bike arm for the 4th bike, but i'm sure I can find one online to purchase.

Could you possibly put a picture on to show exactly what you mean..I have the same rack and haven’t had any problems with anything fouling The rear wiper..We have 2 bikes so have taken one of the arms off.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Here’s some pics. There is little to no clearance for the rear wiper. Then I have the space arm that I don’t know how to attach.

Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• D6D87695-C27F-4E52-9C83-2D2D54D6A036.jpeg
    D6D87695-C27F-4E52-9C83-2D2D54D6A036.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DEA60108-B72C-4DB0-A534-F7143995C541.jpeg
    DEA60108-B72C-4DB0-A534-F7143995C541.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 104
  • A1187CF4-D405-4093-A8AE-47747E931668.jpeg
    A1187CF4-D405-4093-A8AE-47747E931668.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 95
Looks like your space arms are the wrong way round. I will send a photo.

Photo as promised.
image0.jpeg

Hi all,

The spare arm attaches one bike that has been fixed by an attached arm to another bike that the other arms do not reach. Not sure if that makes sense!!
Or maybe this is easier: Fix bikes 1, 2 and 3. Then attach bike 2 to bike 4 with spare arm.

TBH I haven't used it yet.
I was hoping the picture may have helped. Are these any better?
Sorry if it doesn't:Depressed20201221_132830.jpg20201221_133335.jpg

Hi, thanks for the reply. Here’s some pics. There is little to no clearance for the rear wiper. Then I have the space arm that I don’t know how to attach.

Appreciate any help.
If you unscrew the black knob at the end, you will be able to move
the bar along to give clearance for the wiper.

The bar that you have in your hand will need unscrewing fully and
then fitting back on to the rack.
It could be that the last owner only ever carried 2 bikes so removed it,
the fixing arms can all be slid along to whatever suits your needs.

Yours is the newer T6 version, when you do use it
don't trust the wheel chocks with straps.

Better to add extra straps through the wheels yourself, there has been
a couple of failures posted on here.

Thanks for the that.

In all fairness my wife and I don't own bikes and nor do we intend on doing so. I will be taking this off and putting it up for sale.
I did take it off but this revealed a 1/2inch scratch which has took the paint back completely. So I've put it back on to stop the elements getting to it until my paint repairer arrives.

@KBR Just to confirm.
We are talking about a T5 Cali and a T5 bike rack?
Have you got installation instructions?
Pls advise.

Thanks for the that.

In all fairness my wife and I don't own bikes and nor do we intend on doing so. I will be taking this off and putting it up for sale.
I did take it off but this revealed a 1/2inch scratch which has took the paint back completely. So I've put it back on to stop the elements getting to it until my paint repairer arrives.
When fitting the rack, there are 4 points where it clamps on that need
a protective film.
If you search for 3M clear film for bike rack you might find it, if you
had a small strip you could protect the paint with that instead of using the
bike rack.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ll try and rearrange them a bit and see how I go.
The spare arm knob actually seems jammed and the screw thread looks a bit rusted up so might have to replace it prior to trying to attach it.
Thanks all.

@KBR I suspect your "bike arms" are installed incorrectly. I attach a photo with an overlay. The overlay (in blue) is how your arms are installed. This is incorrect. they should be installed as in the photo.

As to
I can confirm ;)

The avatar says T5 and the pics say T5.
Ah, but they are not always correct as you know and it becomes more confusing when pictures of a T6 set up appear. So to be certain I check.

@KBR
I attach a photo and a schematic that might help your problems.

1608752000655.png
1608752072854.png
The four bike arms do not need to be in this order.
Hope this helps.

This is great thanks. So to detach and reposition them, I just need to fully unscrew the knob on the opposite end to where it’s attached?
Yes, that should allow you to disassemble the end attached to the horizontal frame bar and reassemble in the correct way.

Reactions: KBR
You might struggle as they always seize up solid in no time at all

Certainly looks like the arms are on the wrong way round. If you turn them round they fit tight to the bike rack and away from the rear screen and wiper. As far as the bolts seizing up they do and a careful squirt of WD 40 should get them lose. I normally take mine apart every year an re grease them and give them a good clean. The T5 and T6 racks are different designs.

First part done, managed to remove all the arms. Will clean and WD40 them then try and put them back on correctly. But that will wait until after Xmas. Thanks all.

All sorted I think. Got them taken apart with a bit of WD40, cleaned off some corrosion, greased, re-assembled and put back on the right way now I think! Looks like my rear wiper now has clearance... although I need to get that fixed as it does not work since it hit the bike arm pre-Xmas. Hope it's nothing too expensive gone wrong.

Thanks to all who helped with this.

Stupid final question. I assume I use the locking knob on whichever bike arm is the outermost in use, depending on number of bikes?

Cheers.

IMG_0842.jpeg

Back