Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California Brake discs. Are they the same as the Transporter

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi I just put my winter wheels on my van and noticed or should I say , I was alarmed at the amount of corrosion on the outer edge. The vans done 35,000 miles a 63 model
I'm wanting to source these myself and fit and I dare not want to ask what the dealer price is ! Searching for them nothing seems to come up for California, all i want to know is are they the same as a Transporter and would anyone recommend a make? What about drilled and grooved types?

Thanks, Ray

Yes it is the transporter.
You have to fill the search in with your engine size and year.
Try OEM but not from a dealer or Brembo.

Hi I just put my winter wheels on my van and noticed or should I say , I was alarmed at the amount of corrosion on the outer edge. The vans done 35,000 miles a 63 model
Thanks, Ray
Why alarmed, on average you do 135 a week, it is a commercial vehicle.
Have you had cambelt and water pump replaced?

Hi, when I took it for the service last year i was told after 3 years it needs a new cam belt . I had done less than 20K then so I decided to leave it till this year to have it done , hence my decision for me to do the discs -something I can do. What the issue with the waterpump or is it advisable to do this at the same time to avoid another strip ?

Hi, when I took it for the service last year i was told after 3 years it needs a new cam belt . I had done less than 20K then so I decided to leave it till this year to have it done , hence my decision for me to do the discs -something I can do. What the issue with the waterpump or is it advisable to do this at the same time to avoid another strip ?
Water pump can fail, causing cambelt to fail leading to at least a new top half of engine,
Hence when cambelt changed water pump changed also. in your case due to lack of mileage corrosion can build up in pump. cambelt needs changing at 4 yrs

35k miles out of the original disks?! Not bad at all that :thumb
HI Thanks I am going to have the cam belt done this year seeing its 5 years old and if i get the dealer to do the discs I am sure they wont be much left from a grand !

Water pump can fail, causing cambelt to fail leading to at least a new top half of engine,
Hence when cambelt changed water pump changed also. in your case due to lack of mileage corrosion can build up in pump. cambelt needs changing at 4 yrs
Ok thanks I will get that done as well
There seems to be a HUGE difference in prices between the discs so I dont want to get a set thats not so good that will want doing again in no time.

142000 miles on 2nd set of discs
Thats great , I live in a hilly part of Yorkshire thats probably why mine have gone sooner . Milage isn't so relative to wear if your on the motorway all the time or traveling on the French motorways top to bottom

Thats great , I live in a hilly part of Yorkshire thats probably why mine have gone sooner . Milage isn't so relative to wear if your on the motorway all the time or traveling on the French motorways top to bottom
Disc pads wear from use, Brake discs wear from lack of use. If used infrequently they will rust which is then stripped off by next use of brakes and so on leading to increasing scouring and damage.
If you want some idea of costs for Cambelt, pads or discs then see here. Post 3

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4-years-and-77-000-mile-service.27581/

One of the disadvantages of alloy wheels over the steel ones is that they are generally very open to the elements and allow rain directly onto the discs when parked. Even worse if parked on a street when spray from passing vehicles (salt etc) gets blown/blasted in.

The new 18" retro wheels would be an expensive remedy.

One of the disadvantages of alloy wheels over the steel ones is that they are generally very open to the elements and allow rain directly onto the discs when parked. Even worse if parked on a street when spray from passing vehicles (salt etc) gets blown/blasted in.

The new 18" retro wheels would be an expensive remedy.
With mine it was scouring etc on the inside face of the front discs that prompted me to change them. Both sides and not the outside face. Don't know the reason for that.

Brembo are good, Eurocarparts, check what you buy has high temperature paint coating on the edges, will help a little with corrosion "creep", + put a small smear of high melting point grease on the the caliper piston 'pot' to pad contact area when replacing the pads, this will help prevent corrosion creep around the contact face of the piston which unchecked will work its way down to the hydraulic cylinder rubber seal. Garages will hate me suggesting this, replacement callipers are a regular money earner . lol ..

With mine it was scouring etc on the inside face of the front discs that prompted me to change them. Both sides and not the outside face. Don't know the reason for that.
Usually a sticking piston, 2 at the same time ??

Would have been difficult to get new pads in as the pistons wouldn't go back in easily. I can see how the reason was never uncovered.

Usually a sticking piston, 2 at the same time ??

Would have been difficult to get new pads in as the pistons wouldn't go back in easily. I can see how the reason was never uncovered.
No, no problems with the pistons - just corrosion damage on the inside face. both sides.

Back