Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California drivers seat

billyhedge

billyhedge

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I've just switched from a T4 Westfalia to a T5 California (11 plate) - I'm just getting to know the van, but found that the drivers seat won't turn round fully. It either catches on the steering wheel or bottom of the door frame. Surely this can't be right?

Welcome to the wonders of T5 ownership.

This is as designed by VW...

You have to adjust the seat, move it back and forth, tilt it etc.

It works and you do get used to it but terrible design.

Process is not easy, but you do get used to it....

- Ensure vehicle is in gear (or in Park if DSG)
- Release hand brake so the seat can rotate fully
- Drivers door must be open
- Using the adjuster, turn the seat back forward quite a way
- Start to rotate the seat
- Adjust steering wheel if it's in the way
- When seat is rotated half way, move seat forward/back to ensure it clears the B pillar
- When fully rotated remember to put the handbrake back on

Pain in the backside, but with a bit of practice it gets quite quick. Worst bit is when you've attached a side awning, windscreen cover etc etc which covers the drivers door and then you remember you hadn't moved the seat yet!

With continental models it is even worse because the driver's seat is on the kitchen side, giving you even less room to manoeuvre. Can't be done without pushing the steering wheel all the way up and in, and the hand brake all the way down.

We have all struggled with this, everyone has their own method. This little video was what made it easier for me.

Thanks for the detailed replies. How ludicrous! Don't even get me started on the lack of a drop-down draining board...

Shh most on here won't know of the drop-down draining board, you may cause a riot!

I have a little piece of black insulating tape on the bottom edge of the seat trim. This shows me how far I need to run the seat forward to miss the door pillar and the steering wheel when it is adjusted up and fully in.

I usually forget the hand brake though...

The worrying part is when you have the van on the leveling ramps and release the handbrake, it will move slightly down the ramp. I am always convinced the van is about to disappear across the site.

Alan

I usually stick a small child down there to keep their foot on the brake....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shh most on here won't know of the drop-down draining board, you may cause a riot!
Know what you mean, our Westfalia T4 had a fantastic drop down draining board,
I know what you mean, our T4 had one and Mrs DoH was much put out when our T5 arrived and had a glass (yes glass.... glass) worktop and no drsining board

After a quick practice I now have the drivers seat nailed! Happy days. I am looking into producing a stainless steel draining board though; seems there's a need.

Oh how we miss the beautiful formed, practical, stainless steel drop down draining board/stove cover on our T4...as mentioned above, replaced with glass!!!

Oh how I don’t miss faffing about with that T4 roof, just have to faff about with that seat now!

Oh how we miss the beautiful formed, practical, stainless steel drop down draining board/stove cover on our T4...as mentioned above, replaced with glass!!!

Oh how I don’t miss faffing about with that T4 roof, just have to faff about with that seat now!
Oh yes, I had almost forgotten that tricky roof.When we were in Spain I managed to bend the fixing bolt that hung down and had to tie the roof down with an old guy rope as not would not lock. Very impressive service form the local VW garage who fixed it for me there and then and would not take any money ( apart from a tip I gave the guy who did it)

And once you've gone through the palaver of turning the seat, you realise you didn't lower the sun visor first, so you have nothing to hang the windscreen blind onto...

;)