Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California SE - Driver's door window being unpredictable!

Mike Frost

Mike Frost

2009 130 T5 SE - "BARBARA ANN"
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,

My third request for advice, and we've only been owners a couple of weeks!

While we were away over the weekend, the driver's side window started playing up. It would lower an inch, stop, lower another inch, stop. Lower halfway to the bottom, stop, wind nearly all the way up, stop. And etc. ad nauseum. Also at one point it was 3/4 way down and completely unresponsive to the control. We did have this happen once two weeks back in Suffolk, but I used the override with the key in the lock and that seemed to fix it that time - thank goodness for the manuals!

We were in the New Forest, going over uneven road surfaces; once we left the forest and joined the M27, I wound the window all the way up and thereafter it behaved.

I'm concerned, as not only is this grossly inconvenient, especially if it's raining, but I'm concerned that an intermittent short may be occurring within the body of the door, and of course these can be fire hazards. I intend booking the 'van into VW to get it fixed, but thought I would consult the oracle first!

Any thought please?

Mike

There has been an issue with the window "sticking" in the rubbers around the window. When the motor senses resistance it stops. Here is a YouTube video from VW showing how to reset the window. It may help.

Simon, very many thanks for this invaluable bit of tech advice; I'll apply tomorrow and see how it goes, but at best you have saved me at a minimum £85:00 - the VW tech consultation fee, plus any parts they felt they could wish on me...

Simon, very many thanks for this invaluable bit of tech advice; I'll apply tomorrow and see how it goes, but at best you have saved me at a minimum £85:00 - the VW tech consultation fee, plus any parts they felt they could wish on me...

Other articles mentioned the friction from the rubber itself and saying that a small application of silicone to the rubber might also help. Perhaps spray it onto a cloth and wipe the cloth along the rubber where the glass slides.
The problem has also been seen by some members who have fitted wind deflectors that are held on by clips. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/dubflecta-wind-deflectors-not-letting-window-back-up.11460/
Good luck - Simon

Thank you again Simon. Just cancelled my booking with Lookers VW; shall pick up a silicone spray when next I'm near a motor factor's.

Back