Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 headlight covers

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just a tip if you are fitting these for protection or going abroad.
We had one fly off and hit the bonnet a while ago and checking them over the fit is very loose.
The top metal securing strap doen't have enough adjustment to pull the covers tight so the solution is to slightly elongate the slot in the cover downwards. This then enables the strap to be adjusted to hold the covers firmly.

We had one fly off and hit the bonnet a while ago and checking them over the fit is very loose.
The top metal securing strap doen't have enough adjustment to pull the covers tight so the solution is to slightly elongate the slot in the cover downwards. This then enables the strap to be adjusted to hold the covers firmly.
Thanks as was looking to get some fitted before we head over the water to meet Miss Ellie's hubby... :Nailbiting

Did the screw come out for it to fly off?

I had a screw come out of mine when in France
Went into a VW garage and screw was replaced on the spot with no fuss
Wasn't even asked for any particulars or money
Don't know how long I had been driving like it but seemed to have held on ok

Alan

What are 'headlight covers'? 'for protection or going abroad'?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

What are 'headlight covers'? 'for protection or going abroad'?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Both or either.

The plastic covers can be used just to protect your headlights from damage from flying stones etc.
But they also come with black sticky patches and appropriate markings to allow you to blank off the dazzling part of our UK headlight when abroad.

I guess they are available on mainland Europe with patches for UK road use too.

Alan

OK, thanks! So, something like this, then:

headlighy002.jpg

Interesting... We had never heard of or seen them before... We can't find them anywhere on the continent with Google, must be a very British thing, like bonnet bra's etc. Next thing is probably a €25 cut-to-measure adhesive plastic film to protect the headlight protectors :D

When we are in the UK or Ireland, we use a €0.01 piece of duct tape on the right spot of the headlights to avoid blinding oncoming traffic... We are Dutch cheapo's... :cool:

Yes, just like that.

The retaining strap with the slot which needs to be elongated downwards.

OK, thanks! So, something like this, then:

headlighy002.jpg

Interesting... We had never heard of or seen them before... We can't find them anywhere on the continent with Google, must be a very British thing, like bonnet bra's etc. Next thing is probably a €25 cut-to-measure adhesive plastic film to protect the headlight protectors :D

When we are in the UK or Ireland, we use a €0.01 piece of duct tape on the right spot of the headlights to avoid blinding oncoming traffic... We are Dutch cheapo's... :cool:

I tried that on our first trip to France in the Cali and failed dismally.

When headlight had prisms molded into the glass lens that did the beam shaping, then I always used 'sticky backed plastic' (sorry, that is a reference to a BBC children's TV show) to cover the parts of the beam that upset oncoming traffic on the continent.

But now the glass is plain, all the beam shaping is done by the reflector and so makes masking it much more difficult. Hence the posh solution.

I got my set from my VW dealer.

Alan

The VW are not that good a fit....one of my first set went skyward....on my second set now and always check the lower part is pushed in nice n tight....or it will fly.....

The VW are not that good a fit....one of my first set went skyward....on my second set now and always check the lower part is pushed in nice n tight....or it will fly.....
Tried to fit mine at the weekend. First one ok. Second one the gap between headlight and body work is too right. Result = cracked protector. Bring back the days of poor manufacturing and large panel gaps .......

Tried to fit mine at the weekend. First one ok. Second one the gap between headlight and body work is too right. Result = cracked protector. Bring back the days of poor manufacturing and large panel gaps .......
"Tight" rather than "right "

I fitted some to my T6, they have done the job but they have cracked where the screw is, I used locktite so the screw would not work loose.

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 17.26.26.png

Cali went in for a software update recently. Mentioned the problem re fitting. VW adjusted the gap between headlight and panel and will replace broken protector.