T5 STYLE BIKE RACK suitable for T6

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
After approaching VW why the previous T5 Style bike rack, suitable for the T6 has been available in other European countries, but not available to UK customers, they have now agreed that it will be made available in the UK.
Initially only to people who are informed via the forum, and then later on via dealers once it is added to the dealer configurator.

If you wish to order the alternative to the Quasimodo rack you must contact-

dominic.stephenson@vwg.co.uk giving,
  1. Your full name and address,
  2. Van centre where the order has been placed,
  3. Salesman's name,
  4. Order / Commission number or registration if applicable.
The part number for the rack is 7EO 071 104A (A designates the difference)

As stated this is not available via the dealer configurator at the moment, and the UK price has yet to be confirmed.
I know this seems rather complicated but this is what VW have requested we do at this stage.

Problems other than bike rack related will need to be emailed to customercare@vwcv.co.uk

Last edited:
Please note email address has been changed for Dominic Stephenson. The one above is correct.

Do you mind if I ask why the previous rack is considered better than the T6 rack?

It's just aesthetics. I'm pretty sure the new rack is functionally better!

Although the more photos I see of the new rack, the less ugly it is becoming!

As Stuart says it's mainly down to aesthetics. VW went around the exterior of the T5 and made a minor design tweaks here and there to sharpen up the exterior, then appear to have got someone who must have previously been a scaffold erector to design a new bike rack.

Yes almost certainly it appears stronger, but that might not be required by all owners, and previously to my knowledge, despite many other parts the Cali causing problems, there have been no adverse reports on the T5 rack.

To summarise,
  1. Both carry four bikes,
  2. T6 style, further away from the tailgate reducing risk of bodywork damage from bikes,
  3. T6 projection may be a disadvantage in some situations,
  4. If you carry four full-size bikes the T6 style is probably a better option,
But,
The bike rack has become part of the Cali image, like the o/s awning, (derided by some who point out that you seldom see bikes on T5 bike racks), but you see a lot of California's with empty bike racks, so it must be a common thought.

For me, I'm in the camp that thinks the VW T5 style is best looking rack and enhances the look of the CaIi, and as we only seldom carry a couple of bikes it suffices, and more importantly without it we have nothing to hang our washing on to dry!

( And if it's on your original purchase order from new, it will be covered by either the VW three year or extended warranty)

Having persuaded VW to make both types of bike rack available to UK customers, I would appreciate some feedback on how this process is working. So if you could just post that you have contacted Dominic Stephenson at VW to place an order, and any information on how this has progressed, would be most helpful.

I think it would also be helpful if anyone who is speaking to a VW dealer for whatever reason mentions that this is now available, this may help speed up getting the dealer configurator updated ASAP so that people purchasing Californias, who are not members of the forum are aware of this option.

Thanks, Graham.

After approaching VW why the previous T5 Style bike rack, suitable for the T6 has been available in other European countries, but not available to UK customers, they have now agreed that it will be made available in the UK.
Initially only to people who are informed via the forum, and then later on via dealers once it is added to the dealer configurator.

If you wish to order the alternative to the Quasimodo rack you must contact-

dominic.stephenson@vwg.co.uk giving,
  1. Your full name and address,
  2. Van centre where the order has been placed,
  3. Salesman's name,
  4. Order / Commission number or registration if applicable.
The part number for the rack is 7EO 071 104A (A designates the difference)

As stated this is not available via the dealer configurator at the moment, and the UK price has yet to be confirmed.
I know this seems rather complicated but this is what VW have requested we do at this stage.

Problems other than bike rack related will need to be emailed to customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Great work Susibus, has VW given any indication of the price of the 7EO 071 104A bike rack. I want to order one but I dont want to do so without having an idea of the price first.

Last edited:
Hi - i have asked Dominic to get me one for summer hols - i am waiting on info / dates / prices etc - i would suspect it wont be any cheaper that the £500 is T5 model. Banwy have a reputation for competing so i will go there when i know they are available.

Thanks Steve - can you get me one please

Certainly can do.... with your VIP discount it brings it down to £405.00+vat.
Being a back order part it will take a few weeks. Can you Pm your details so I can contact you when its in.

Thanks

Steve

me too please, PM sent Steve. Many thanks.

me too please, PM sent Steve. Many thanks.

Please note, VW for what reason I'm not sure, but I think it is because 7EO O71 104A is not generally available in the UK at the moment, VW has requested that Forum members notify Dominic Stephenson the details of the bike rack order as per my original posting,

Last edited:
Is it possible to order outside of UK? For some reason it is more expensive here ;)
615 pounds with vat.

Any VW dealer can order it as it is a Genuine German VW Accessory. If it was a UK only accessory then it would only be available in England. Price wise it retails at £538.00 inc vat but you will pay £486.00 inc as a VIP

I mean to order at that price from UK and deliver outside UK.

I mean to order at that price from UK and deliver outside UK.

Shipping abroad from UK would be really expensive I think. It cost around £40.00 to ship anywhere in UK. It weighs 14KG and the box dimensions are 1.7m x 1.0m x 0.40m.
If this helps to get quotes.

What really puzzles me that my dealer said 7E0071104A is still that new ugly one just different weight limit.
And I see in lots of places online that new rack sold by that code.
http://www.ideas4cars.be/nl/Fietsen...fietsen/wagen-accessoire/1269.1269.1277/22181

Hi...

I have just downloaded the VW fitting instructions and the rack looks the same as the T5 one just with the new part number. The ugly rack instructions look like the ugly rack. The replacement parts available for the new rack are the same as the old T5 so I think 7E0071104A is the rack we want.