Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 / T6 advice please

Daveb999

Daveb999

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi

Looking to buy my first Cali (also first camper van) . I have two ive seen, one is £32 k, T5, standard setup with 61k. The other is a T6, £36k, same mileage but leather Seats, auto and a few other small upgrades. It’s also two years younger. Is it worth the extra £4K?

there is a lot of info missing (Beach or Ocean, year of manufacture, engine spec) but I’d say yes, it is worth it if the newer vehicle spec is at least equal or better than the T5.1.

I’ve owned a T5.1 manual and now own a T6 auto. The auto box makes driving far more relaxing, I personally prefer a leather interior and some of the other small differences between the models make enough of a difference to just make things nicer. The other upgrades you mention could either add a lot of value, or not depending on what they are.

Obviously the market is flat currently, so you are in a strong position as a buyer. Don’t rush, look around to double check pricing but otherwise you should be good.

Hi

Looking to buy my first Cali (also first camper van) . I have two ive seen, one is £32 k, T5, standard setup with 61k. The other is a T6, £36k, same mileage but leather Seats, auto and a few other small upgrades. It’s also two years younger. Is it worth the extra £4K?
If it is the 3rd vehicle, only used in the summer and not outside the U.K. then the T5.
However if you plan on using it all year round and touring a Europe then it might be advantageous having the Euro 6 engine.
Remember there are certain service items that are time/or milage sensitive so factor that into your decision.
Cambelt 4yrs or 80,000 miles. DSG oil change etc.

Maybe of interest to you.
Summary - we chose a T5 2.5 174bhp rather than a T5.1 180.

Assume it’s a Beach as a T6 Cali would be over £36k

Ah yes sorry. T5 is a 14 plate, T6 is a 16 plate. I would be planning on using it all year, definitely in Europe once allowed to go over again. It’s the Ocean model. They have said they will cover the first MOT (Due late June) and also giv e a 6 month warranty on either van. I would need to check on the cam belt but doubt it will have been done on the T6, the T5 has had it done recently.

The leather seats will be a factor if you want leather seats, but doesn't really affect the valuation to a signifiant degree, I think.

Same engine size, 140bhp I think. I’d rather the leather trim as I have a dog, easier to clean, plus the seats on the other one are marked with spills (only cosmetic I know but still).

I’m thinking the T6 but just want to make sure the extra is worth it. Would want to add solar panel and parking sensors as neither have them.

I’m thinking the T6 but just want to make sure the extra is worth it. Would want to add solar panel and parking sensors as neither have them.

Where are these advertised, sounds very odd. I’ve never seen or heard of a California / Ocean without parking sensors.

£36k for a T6 Ocean is very low so don’t mean tI sound rude but are you sure they are genuine California’s?

Is the newer one ex-hire, near Wigan? If so, then I know the advert and the leather seats look to be covers....if fitted from day1 great. If fitted to hide shabby seats, not good.

Used values are in a bit of disorder at the mo, even before Covid came along. There were some very keenly priced end of line T6s (some still knocking about pre reg) and many used adverts haven’t adjusted, so you need to be cautious to find the well priced vans. Some 2 year old vans are for sale for the same money as a pre reg / unused models.

Some ex hire are +vat so double check.

T6 Ocean on a 16 plate for £36k is a good price. Make sure the front seats rotate (it was possible to spec non-rotating seats, which was mad).

In normal times, that would be under priced. Check carefully and if all is legit then it seems good.

Same engine size, 140bhp I think. I’d rather the leather trim as I have a dog, easier to clean, plus the seats on the other one are marked with spills (only cosmetic I know but still).
Single turbo was bumped up from 140 to 150 on the T6.

I’ve seen online the two vans you’re talking about. All I would say is that both vans you are referring to have been for sale for quite a long time (since last summer for the 16 plate) at keen prices, although look to have been reduced further, so do check them over carefully. Being ex-rentals they might not as clean as privately owned Calis when viewed in person.

I’ve seen online the two vans you’re talking about. All I would say is that both vans you are referring to have been for sale for quite a long time (since last summer for the 16 plate) at keen prices, although look to have been reduced further, so do check them over carefully. Being ex-rentals they might not as clean as privately owned Calis when viewed in person.
Exactly, 61k miles on a rental. How many people have had a go in that who haven't a clue. But it's cheap. Go in with eyes wide open.

I'd personally suggest taking a little time to research before jumping in, especially as going camping most likely isn't a possibility right now.

The difference between a T5 and a T6 isn't that great, but Manual vs DSG that's a big one (search on here)

That’s really handy info, thanks

Back