Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 150 DSG MY20 engine cutting out on motorway !!

E

EmrysGlynnDunn

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
My MY20 T6.1 California Ocean 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... It started up first time on both occasions. My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
1. Does anyone know of this problem ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty. Thanks

My MY20 T6.1 California Ocean 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... It started up first time on both occasions. My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty. Thanks
That sounds very scary! Are you able to switch off the Eco mode on your Cali’? If so might be worth a try.
There are members on here with a very good understanding of legal rights who can answer your questions but I would say that you should politely appeal to your garage for a loan vehicle. I’d stress that this problem is a safety critical issue and that you cannot risk driving the vehicle until they can ‘fit you in’.

I presume you are still in Warranty. If so contact VW Assistance. Run by AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority access to VW Dealerships and carry a lot of clout. They can also arrange a courtesy vehicle if unsafe to drive.

I presume you are still in Warranty. If so contact VW Assistance. Run by AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority access to VW Dealerships and carry a lot of clout. They can also arrange a courtesy vehicle if unsafe to drive.
Can I call them out now I'm at home ? The van starts and runs ok - when it's on the drive !

Can I call them out now I'm at home ? The van starts and runs ok - when it's on the drive !
Yes. As you said, it is unsafe to drive. There maybe codes stored in the engine management computer that the technician can access and help to diagnose the fault.

Have you tried the T6 forum? you will get wider coverage on there as it deals with all derivatives of the T6 not just the Californias.

There's a chap called Rowles1958 with an identical problem on there.

Good news all sorted - VW Assist technician attended, fuel valve sensor needed replacing - he's gone off to get the part ! I had to push really really hard to get a VW technician out rather than an AA patrol but well worth it. Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.

Note to All.
You only get 3 yrs VW Assistance on a new vehicle even if you have the 5 Yr Factory Warranty.
The good news is you can renew the VW Assistance within 1 month of the end of the 3 yrs for £160 for a 2 Yr extension with the same pan-European cover and benefits.

Note to All.
You only get 3 yrs VW Assistance on a new vehicle even if you have the 5 Yr Factory Warranty.
The good news is you can renew the VW Assistance within 1 month of the end of the 3 yrs for £160 for a 2 Yr extension with the same pan-European cover and benefits.
Hi, I am interested in renewing my VW Assistance as mentioned above - how do I go about doing so?

Hi there,

Having looked at the options (£99 for one year, £160 for two years), and what is covered I have come to the conclusion that I have exactly the same cover through my Nationwide FlexPlus bank account (both managed by the AA as of 1st March). I even phoned the AA, Nationwide and VW to double check I had not missed anything.

The Nationwide FlexPlus cover costs £13 monthly, but I consider better overall value for money due to other benefits and the cover not vehicle specific. If you have a joint account, both account holders can have the same benefits.

Thanks for directing me to the VW Roadside Assistance link.

You could do the Hat-trick yet, just saying :D

Last edited:
Edited due to protect Rowles1958 over sensitive nature.

Last edited:
Post nr6 above was subtle hint that we knew who he really was.

Now who wants to buy a van that cuts out on the motorway........
You really are a sad obnoxious little man - it was a fuel pressure sensor, a known fault on the T6.1. Mine now has the newly designed sensor so job sorted, noone has to worry about that problem. Childish beyond belief, grow up.

Name calling - is that anyway for a grown man to behave in public?

It’s no less than we have come to expect from you Rowland.
Good luck with selling the van!

What's going on?
Totally unacceptable behaviour. Go and sit on the naughty step, and no playing on the forum until you've said sorry.

I agree, post number 13 by AiL was totally disgracefull and I would have hoped moderators would step in and stop that sort of childish behaviour. The thread was full of helpfull and informative information untill AiL decided without any provacation to post a childish and potentially damaging comment. Moderators ?

Sorry Rowland - none of the above makes any sense without referring to the other posts before mine that have now been edited.

There has been plenty of provocation from you as usual.

@SusiBus in case you hadn't realised EmrysGlynnDunn is the latest user name under a new account of Rowles1958 who has a long history of basically name calling & insulting anyone that didn't agree100% with his point of view.

Sorry Rowland - none of the above makes any sense without referring to the other posts before mine that have now been edited.

There has been plenty of provocation from you as usual.

@SusiBus in case you hadn't realised EmrysGlynnDunn is the latest user name under a new account of Rowles1958 who has a long history of basically name calling & insulting anyone that didn't agree100% with his point of view.
No Andy, l was not aware of the history regarding our Welsh member. Perhaps rather than being sent to the naughty step, he should be shown a red card. Which would be a shame because l like a bit of lively debate, but what l read was, well to quote EGD, a little childish.
I can't read your posting that seems to be the contentious one due to it's deletion. So l won't let the fact that as you live in Luton affect my thoughts that you might deserve a red as well.

This is all such a shame, all I did was ask for advice and I did indeed received lots of very helpful and constructive advice, apart from AiL, moderators please read the thread. His post is childish and quite frankly damaging. I did not provoke him at all. AiL is determined to hijack every post I make and make childish, patronising or insulting remarks. Yes perhaps I shouldn't have said what I said but his behaviour is as described. Another post was just taken down because he again hijacked it and made false representations against my vehicle. Quite frankly, if he does it again he will be hearing from my sicitor - no joke. I fully accept I perhaps shouldn't have said what I said but was highly provoked by him.

This is all such a shame, all I did was ask for advice and I did indeed received lots of very helpful and constructive advice, apart from AiL, moderators please read the thread. His post is childish and quite frankly damaging. I did not provoke him at all. AiL is determined to hijack every post I make and make childish, patronising or insulting remarks. Yes perhaps I shouldn't have said what I said but his behaviour is as described. Another post was just taken down because he again hijacked it and made false representations against my vehicle. Quite frankly, if he does it again he will be hearing from my sicitor - no joke. I fully accept I perhaps shouldn't have said what I said but was highly provoked by him.

I think you would find that the other thread was pulled because as usual you started to call people names.

Also that thread could be construed as you trying to sell your van on here without paying the advertising fee.

If you had read the rules threads such as " what's my van worth" are not allowed for that reason.

Now calm down & shut up before you give yourself a heart attack.

a new account of Rowles1958 who has a long history of basically name calling & insulting anyone that didn't agree100% with his point of view.
I think you mean Rowls1958. Having multiple accounts on a forum is often a banning offense and for good reason. Moderators?

Back