Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Auxillary Heater - time setting issues

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm in the Swiss Alps and the heater isn't working on my 4 week old T6.1 Ocean and it's bloody freezing....... It was working intermitently but although the control panel shows it's on nothing is happening. I'm hooked up to 230v and it's on Heat Immediately. I've also tried Heat Continuously and that doesn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Screen seems to scroll through too many times....video attached.

Update, now getting this message about maximum running time being reached - but it hasn't been on all night so don't think this can be right.....

20200825_084514.jpg

Assuming there’s a timer/programming function.... is there an option to set a “run time”? Like home heating controls that allow you to extend the “CH ON” by increments.

T6.1 owners are so blessed having that new control unit...if it would fit my SE i swap it without a doubt ....not...;)

Could it be you have it set on a program ?

I think the panel can be resetted but i'm not sure how to , T6.1 owners complain a lot about strange notifications .
Would like to see what the new manual says , has anyone seen a digital manual allready ?
We could put it in the downloadsection .

Last edited:
What does it say about heater controls in instruction manual?
Pretty much nothing and what it does say makes little sense. I was hoping some other T6.1 owners have had this problem.... Quite a lot of other issues too, not on when you've paid North of £60k...

T6.1 owners are so blessed having that new contron unit...if it would fit my SE i swap it without a doubt ....not...;)

Could it be you have it set on a program ?

I think the panel can be resetted but i'm not sure how to , T6.1 owners complain a lot about strange notifications .
Would like to see what the new manual says , has anyone seen a digital manual allready ?
We could put it in the downloadsection .
No, checked that, made sure there is no programme set ..

I'm in the Swiss Alps and the heater isn't working on my 4 week old T6.1 Ocean and it's bloody freezing....... It was working intermitently but although the control panel shows it's on nothing is happening. I'm hooked up to 230v and it's on Heat Immediately. I've also tried Heat Continuously and that doesn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Screen seems to scroll through too many times....video attached.
I am currently sat on our driveway trying the heater.

Within "Operating mode" I have set "Air aux. heater" and then in "apply setting" I selected 10.

In "settings" all the "Departure times" are set to the default "00:00" and "Running time" to "30".

At the bottom of the screen if I select "Heat continuously" and then "Apply setting" I have selected "10" and then "ok". After a few seconds I get the 2 fans by the driver's B-pillar pushing out warm air.

Hopefully there is something useful there. Good luck.

Thanks very much but nothing happens with mine.. ..ffs at this price there should be a dedicated hotline to a VW engineer, the electrics on the T6.1 are all to sh*t...

Would a control panel reset help? Or a search for error codes? Sorry that doesn’t seem very helpful.

You could try starting the heater with the engine running. We have an Eberspacher diesel heater on a boat and it has a check that there is sufficient voltage to start. It draws power to warm the glow plug enough to ensure combustion - if there's not enough power detected to get the glow plug hot enough the heater won't start. If you try with the engine running you'll then know its not that at least. Hope the weather warms up until you get it sorted!

California Chris posted a YouTube video on the 6.1 Aux heater last month. Mentioned something about selecting the correct operating mode to get heater to work, "Air Aux heater mode" not Air ventilate if I remember.

May be worth viewing to see if it helps to resolve the problem.

No may do, but how do you do a panel reset ?? Thanks

California Chris posted a YouTube video on the 6.1 Aux heater last month. Mentioned something about selecting the correct operating mode to get heater to work, "Air Aux heater mode" not Air ventilate if I remember.

May be worth viewing to see if it helps to resolve the problem.
Excellent informative video.

Can you hear the fan start to blow at all by listening to the vent on the B pillar? The fan is integral to the heater unit and may be an indicator that its getting power. If not - fuse?

Unfortunately the T6.1 has the new touchscreen Control Panel.

Can you hear the fan start to blow at all by listening to the vent on the B pillar? The fan is integral to the heater unit and may be an indicator that its getting power. If not - fuse?
No can't hear anything, however not sure where the fuse is - doesn't say in the handbook..

Looks like my MFD is playing up now, can only get the clock and a data transfer share my position message as photo......not sure what is going on.....20200825_204935.jpg

Back