Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Auxillary Heater - time setting issues

Re heater - check the fuses under the passenger seat (slide seat to get access) - I have a T6 and can't find for that which fuse does what for the camping gear. They should be opaque enough to see if there's a break. If all good there - check the fuses by the battery compartment. Its freezing here in Blighty - so I feel for you!

I too have a one-month-old T6.1 Ocean and have just had similar issues with the heater (with wife and kids in the van complaining about how cold it was)(not fun):

Problem 1: in operation mode set to “aux heater” and activated “heat continuously” level 7, at about 11pm. Starts heating nicely. I wake up at 2am, heater is deactivated (heater led not lit, that is completely turned off, not just not blowing hot air). Isn’t it supposed to stay on until turned off by user? (Plenty of petrol in tank) So I decide to try “heat immediately” function...

Problem 2: I press “Heat immediately” and get the “Please wait” screen. Stuck on that screen for hours (literally, I was up at least two hours) without a way to exit. Panic! I have to lower the roof in the morning... will I be able to?! In the morning the screen is magically unstuck, thank the Lord. Still slept without heating tho.

VW really need to sort out the new control panel issues.

Another thing, why is it that I have to turn on the ignition to change the heater mode setting? What if it’s 11pm in a dark campground... At a minimum my daytime running lights wake up my neighbours.

Lastly, does anyone know how to do a control panel reset *ON A T6.1*? Thanks all!

/end rant

I too have a one-month-old T6.1 Ocean and have just had similar issues with the heater (with wife and kids in the van complaining about how cold it was)(not fun):

Problem 1: in operation mode set to “aux heater” and activated “heat continuously” level 7, at about 11pm. Starts heating nicely. I wake up at 2am, heater is deactivated (heater led not lit, that is completely turned off, not just not blowing hot air). Isn’t it supposed to stay on until turned off by user? (Plenty of petrol in tank) So I decide to try “heat immediately” function...

Problem 2: I press “Heat immediately” and get the “Please wait” screen. Stuck on that screen for hours (literally, I was up at least two hours) without a way to exit. Panic! I have to lower the roof in the morning... will I be able to?! In the morning the screen is magically unstuck, thank the Lord. Still slept without heating tho.

VW really need to sort out the new control panel issues.

Another thing, why is it that I have to turn on the ignition to change the heater mode setting? What if it’s 11pm in a dark campground... At a minimum my daytime running lights wake up my neighbours.

Lastly, does anyone know how to do a control panel reset *ON A T6.1*? Thanks all!

/end rant
With regard to your problem 2, I have the same. Putting the key in the ignition and turning it briefly (not turning the engine on) seems to sort it.

In fact, doing this for most ‘Please Wait’ or ‘Loading Profile’ issues seems to work.

Putting the key in the ignition and turning it briefly (not turning the engine on) seems to sort it.

Thank you, that’s good to know. Although there are situations when doing that would disturb others due to the fact that the exterior lights turn on.

I think it’s a software issue that should be addressed by VW.

When we first tried ours out, it seemed to start and them stop almost immediately. Not having much need, due to the season, have only played with it, since, and thought there might be something up with ours, due to it coming on and then going off. We had seen somewhere that having it set on quite low was more than adequate for a cold night, and therefore did not ask it to go beyond '4'. then, remembered it was summertime and tried it out turning on a lot higher setting (9 I think) and it did seem to work. But, will be sure to test it again in the next few days.

California Chris posted a YouTube video on the 6.1 Aux heater last month. Mentioned something about selecting the correct operating mode to get heater to work, "Air Aux heater mode" not Air ventilate if I remember.

May be worth viewing to see if it helps to resolve the problem.

I thought ours was broken and this was the issue. Also, we tried a T6 that kicked out very hot air fast, the T6.1 seems to heat more slowly. When I got it working it would heat to a temperature, but the heater never seemed to be kicking out loads of heat.

Also agreed the manual is absolutely shockingly awful. Like they just couldn't be bothered.

I thought ours was broken and this was the issue. Also, we tried a T6 that kicked out very hot air fast, the T6.1 seems to heat more slowly. When I got it working it would heat to a temperature, but the heater never seemed to be kicking out loads of heat.

Also agreed the manual is absolutely shockingly awful. Like they just couldn't be bothered.

Someone posted a comment on the California Chris video that they are now fitting a much smaller Aux heater on the T6.1 California, does anyone know if that is actually true.

I discussed the auxiliary heater of my T6.1 with my car seller, not sure if he is correct, but he told me that:
1) Heater between the T6 and the T6.1 is the same
2) the control of the T6.1 is totally different though, the modes(e.g. heating level 6 have nothing to do between the T6.1 and T6/5. My friends with a T6 never go to much above level 4-5. But I need to go to level 6-7 to have some heat.

But when it heats, it works pretty well.

I never understood the "heat immediately" feature, I feel that when I activate it, nothing happens(and not sure how the other settings are involved in the immediate heating).

Its always running these types of heaters 'flat out' for a bit - they get 'coked up' (yes like an EGR valve) if they work for long periods on low heat.
'Always worth - should have said

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the Swiss Alps and the heater isn't working on my 4 week old T6.1 Ocean and it's bloody freezing....... It was working intermitently but although the control panel shows it's on nothing is happening. I'm hooked up to 230v and it's on Heat Immediately. I've also tried Heat Continuously and that doesn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Screen seems to scroll through too many times....video attached.
You need to contact the nearest AMAG garage and get them to fix this. They are often reluctant to help but you still have a warranty. (I had a failing catalyser but had to get a report from TCS, the Swiss equivalent of RAC/AA), to stop them fobbing me off. Hold them to account for all of us owners.

My heater works fine but it can be stinky with the delightful scent of diesel.

I'm in the Swiss Alps and the heater isn't working on my 4 week old T6.1 Ocean and it's bloody freezing....... It was working intermitently but although the control panel shows it's on nothing is happening. I'm hooked up to 230v and it's on Heat Immediately. I've also tried Heat Continuously and that doesn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Screen seems to scroll through too many times....video attached.

Hi all,

Did you finally solved the problem? I do not managed to make the auxiliary heater work and winter is coming!!!

Same symptoms, anybody has the solution?

Its always running these types of heaters 'flat out' for a bit - they get 'coked up' (yes like an EGR valve) if they work for long periods on low heat.
'Always worth - should have said
I didn't think they actually ran on anything other than either flat out or off, thats why they keep cycling on & off. On a high setting it runs for longer to achieve the higher temp before cut off. On Low temps it just gives a short burst of heat each time.

I didn't think they actually ran on anything other than either flat out or off, thats why they keep cycling on & off. On a high setting it runs for longer to achieve the higher temp before cut off. On Low temps it just gives a short burst of heat each time.

Could be that way in the California - I have one on a boat (Eberspacher) and that does run at a lower heat output. Eberspacher say it runs on about .10L on low heat and .5L on high heat - so delivering a higher drip rate on higher temp settings. Thought the California would be the same - but seems to come on in 'blast mode' every now and again to keep the temp up. Not sure if its Eber or Webasto or something else on my 2017 T 6... but I know it will be getting some use soon!

Hi all,

Did you finally solved the problem? I do not managed to make the auxiliary heater work and winter is coming!!!

Same symptoms, anybody has the solution?
When I reinserted fuses 5-8 to sort the roof out it appeared to kick the heater into action - presumably as it reset the control panel. However, on any level up to 8 it just churns out cold air although on 9 and 10 it is very hot and very noisy. This can't be right, why bother having 10 levels if only the top two are hot ????

When I reinserted fuses 5-8 to sort the roof out it appeared to kick the heater into action - presumably as it reset the control panel. However, on any level up to 8 it just churns out cold air although on 9 and 10 it is very hot and very noisy. This can't be right, why bother having 10 levels if only the top two are hot ????
What's the ambient temperature inside the vehicle?

I have removed and reinserted fuses 5-8 and the control panel has been fully switch off but theaux heater still does not work.
Thanx anyway

I have just experienced the same. Did anyone get a resolution on this?

Has anyone had a specific problem with setting the time for the Setting function on the auxillary heater on the new T6.1 Ocean ? Every time I set a new time the "Save" function does not work - it shows the new time for a couple of seconds then reverts back to the previous time.

It has now been in the dealers for 4 days and they and VW technical support cannot find the problem.

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Other issues with the new heating system are well documented on this forum so it is just this specfic problem I would like responses on please - thanks very much.....

I think there has been issues with the heating system on here,
but cant recall issues with the timer though.
Pulling the fuses can reset the system on the CP.

The time setting on the auxillary heater in my new T6.1 was not working. You set the time in 'Settings" and it simply does not save it and reverts to a random time.

It has been in the dealers two weeks (!!!) and neither they or VW support have been able to solve the problem - they have even fitted a new camping control unit. However, they have now discovered that if you set the general time for the vehicle in the main display to 'manual' rather than 'gps', it works !!!!!

This can not be right - whats the point of having the gps time function if it 'messes up' the time settings in the auxillary heater. Can anyone confirm that their auxillary heating time settings work ok with the general time set to gps in the vehicle.

Thanks a lot.

Back