Shire Cali

Shire Cali

Shire Cali
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi

Can anyone advise on the following ?

I’ve been advised by VW dealership the all up weight (AUW) for a roof box on an Ocean is 50kg , that will include the bars and the box , which on average will be in the region of a combined weight of 20kg , leaving approx 30kg for storage.
But is the AUW only 50kg as it’s factoring the electric motor to lift the roof with the box fitted , can you load more without damaging the roof ( up to the box capacity ) but empty the box before lifting the roof so not to put undue pressure on the motors and the aluminium roof ?
Most boxes are a minimum 50kg upwards capacity, so if you’re stuck at 50kg AUW there’ll be a lot of empty space in the box

Cheers

Hi

I’ve been advised by VW dealership the all up weight (AUW) for a roof box on an Ocean is 50kg , that will include the bars and the box , which on average will be in the region of a combined weight of 20kg , leaving approx 30kg for storage.
But is the AUW only 50kg as it’s factoring the electric motor to lift the roof with the box fitted , can you load more without damaging the roof ( up to the box capacity ) but empty the box before lifting the roof so not to put undue pressure on the motors and the aluminium roof ?
Most boxes are a minimum 50kg upwards capacity, so if you’re stuck at 50kg AUW there’ll be a lot of empty space in the box

Cheers
The manual states clearly that the 50kg limit is with the roof down. With zero for the roof up.

Thanks , appreciated..I would have found that if I’d had read the manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that’s CYA text .lifting an empty box was ok according to non-binding advice from a dealer
Agree, but someone has clearly thought about it as T5 had different figures 100kg shut and 50kg raised.

Hi

Cheers
We had an average Kameii roof box and Thule bars. Had a pram, lots of nappies and Weber bbq in it. Took out the pram and bbq before putting roof up. It was absolutely fine. Used it for about 18 months, including a 4 week tour of Spain.

We fitted uprated roof struts to our manual roof Beach, as we wanted to be able to open the roof with additional weight of solar panels, surfboards, SUP’s on the roof otherwise the Cali would be useless as a campervan for us - obviously surfbords etc are removed at destination to enable solar panels to work - So roof will now support up to 50kgs when open with no roof sag.

Have loaded up to 100kgs with roof closed from time to time, without any issues.

But ours is T5.1 and mentions 50kgs in the handbook. Think text was removed in later handbooks, even though roof design remains unchanged.

IMG_8868.jpeg

Thule bars payload would be spread along the v sturdy aluminium rails on full length of the roof. The bars that hold the roof up are incredibly sturdy and lock in a T when raised. It all looks v VW over engineered. I suspect with the roof sagging problems - which are surely pump related - someone has said ‘no more roof boxes’.
But it was designed and built with chunky great roof bar channels.

We fitted uprated roof struts to our manual roof Beach, as we wanted to be able to open the roof with additional weight of solar panels, surfboards, SUP’s on the roof otherwise the Cali would be useless as a campervan for us - obviously surfbords etc are removed at destination to enable solar panels to work - So roof will now support up to 50kgs when open with no roof sag.

Have loaded up to 100kgs with roof closed from time to time, without any issues.

But ours is T5.1 and mentions 50kgs in the handbook. Think text was removed in later handbooks, even though roof design remains unchanged.

View attachment 107781
Hi there, where is the pull out tray from? And how deep is this one?

It’s the club shop one I think
FD7E4614-E664-4F02-A0F6-72F333E199C0.png
Hit ‘visit shop’ at top of the page

Last edited:
Hi, it’s Calicap. approx 75cms deep.

Still allows 7 seats to go in the Beach, without having to remove the sliding tray.

Hi

Cheers
We occasionally use a roof box on our T6 Cali ocean and it has been totally fine to raise it with stuff in although I always have taken the heavy stuff out with the 50kg limit in mind. Typically I put the stuff in a pup tent before I raise it. Clearly when the roof is up it would be a pain to access a roof box so a bit of planning is required.

Even with the roof down it requires a small step ladder or similar. You’re supposed to put it dead the centre of the roof. But if we had we wouldn’t be able to reach it at all. A proper phaff. We needed it when we went to Spain with a 3 month old and 3 yr old for 4 weeks. A third of it was nappies! I kept it on the van for a year but was very very happy to take it off.

As I believe @GrannyJen says ‘if you need a roof box, you’ve bought the wrong van’.

As I believe @GrannyJen says ‘if you need a roof box, you’ve bought the wrong van’.

I can't think of anything worse. fixing something relatively heavy to the most vulnerable and inaccessible part of the van.

Just my opinion. A Trailer is better, a tow-ball bike rack with a box on it is better, but depending on the space needed and the people being carried do what I did when my Sister insisted on joining me for trips to see Mum ..... stuff a caravan on the back :D

I can't think of anything worse. fixing something relatively heavy to the most vulnerable and inaccessible part of the van.

Just my opinion. A Trailer is better, a tow-ball bike rack with a box on it is better, but depending on the space needed and the people being carried do what I did when my Sister insisted on joining me for trips to see Mum ..... stuff a caravan on the back :D
They are not for everyone, lifting them on/off requires a bit of physical effort.

Roof box works well for occasional use for longer trips. We have a long skinny box on one side, with a stack of surfboards / Sups on the other; Roof box comes off when we get to campsite and gets used for dry lockable storage.

Towbar not an option as we have a sliding boot tray + tailgate tent that gets used for changing etc.

For access, tend to stand on the top of the wheel, inside open sliding door or on top of the Yeti box.

Fair enough, I already had the roof box from my prior vehicle so this was the easy option and worked for us. Plus I am not keen on losing 10mph on the speed limit due to the trailer. I am thinking of the long journeys to south of France or alps.

Fair enough, I already had the roof box from my prior vehicle so this was the easy option and worked for us. Plus I am not keen on losing 10mph on the speed limit due to the trailer. I am thinking of the long journeys to south of France or alps.
A trailer on a Cali looses you a lot more than 10mph on a French motorway 90kmh v 130kmh.
I think a back box on a towbar mount is the best compromise, assuming you are not already using the towbar.