Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 navigation issue and recall for door cable

Wembley

Wembley

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi guys – I thought I would share some recent experiences I had with the touchscreen infotainment system on my T6.1 freezing, and also a recall notice for a door cable issue in the driver’s door. I suppose others with a similar van may have got the recall notice, and the infotainment issue might give you some clues if you’ve had any similar problems.

The touchscreen system malfunctioned about 10 days back: whenever we would start the vehicle, or just try to switch on the system with the power button on the left, it would come up with a message saying “Welcome – Loading user profile”. It would remain stuck on this message, and never advance to actually show the menu screen. I could not find much online about this, so just tried holding the power button down for an extended period – eventually it would go black and then show a “Welcome – Volkswagen” message, but then revert to the earlier “Welcome – Loading user profile", which would remain stuck on the screen (photo attached). As a side note, the system would appear to connect to my phone by Bluetooth, but with no means to use functions such as making calls or playing media from it.

I contacted the local VW dealer (not where we bought the van as that is further away and they recommended servicing etc at the nearest one, since they are all part of the network). The service contact there suggested holding the power button down (as I had already tried), and also said that holding 2 fingers on the top right of the screen may also be a means to reset the system – tried this, but it did nothing. I know there is usually a combination of buttons to press to perform a hard reset, and I guess that’s one of the frustrations of a full touchscreen system, as these button combinations are not easy to identify. Anyway after these attempts the guy said bring it in and gave me an appointment within a day. I took the van there Tuesday evening, and while there the service guy told me there was a recall issue with the driver’s door that they would fix while I left it with them. I returned home to find a letter in the post from VW about the door cable recall – happy coincidence!

From what I could gather from the letter (my German is far from perfect) there is an issue with the Bowden cable in the driver’s door, which means it could malfunction if the temperature is zero degrees Celsius or below, possibly opening the door. I suppose I was lucky that this recall coincided with my issue with the infotainment system, as they managed to resolve it all with one visit, and I picked the van up yesterday evening. The service consultant told me that they updated the software on the infotainment system and this has resolved the issue – I can confirm this proved to be the case when I took the van home, although it did start up with the dreaded “Welcome – Loading user profile”, before then showing the home screen. It still remembered the phones we had paired with the system and connected with no issues.

A bit annoying to have an issue like this with a relatively new vehicle, but I guess there will be teething issues with software, and I’m relieved it did not need a hardware fix / replacement, which may have taken longer. The local VW dealer deserve some compliments as they were quick and efficient in dealing with the issues. Hope this might help if anyone else is having similar issues.

IMG_1940.JPG

Good to hear the software update resolved the issue. Collect my T6.1 tomorrow so fingers crossed!

There is indeed a safety recall (57H5) and this applies to all T6.1 vans not just Californias. In the UK this work is undertaken before handover.

Good to hear the software update resolved the issue. Collect my T6.1 tomorrow so fingers crossed!

There is indeed a safety recall (57H5) and this applies to all T6.1 vans not just Californias. In the UK this work is undertaken before handover.
Hopefully they will have already performed any software upgrades you need - mine was registered in Jan 2020 so if you're picking yours up tomorrow they'll hopefully have addressed this as well as the door recall issue.

Good luck with the pickup, and have fun in your new ride!

yes i had bowden cable replaced when getting bike rack good job at Donnellys NI

Yup, Bowden sorted on mine before collecting van and yes I get the same "loading......." message when switching on but found that on starting the engine it goes away.

Yup, Bowden sorted on mine before collecting van and yes I get the same "loading......." message when switching on but found that on starting the engine it goes away.
Mine was the same initially - i.e. that loading message stayed on the screen until I started the engine. Then one day it didn't go away! It's the same now after the software upgrade, so fingers crossed yours will be fine and has already benefitted from whatever software upgrade they did for me this week

But it didn't go away today on the way to the stealers, being looked at along with a couple of other minor issues.

Nope, but to be honest I didn't get there until going home time so not a lot was said.

I searched the board for a recall Bowden Cables thread and was very surprised to see a 18 month old thread! I have today received a recall (Code 5711) on my MY21 Cali, advising me that when the temperature reaches 0 or below the front doors could "spontaneously open when driving". I am struggling to understand why I am now being advised of an issue 18 months after it was known about and on a van that is 10 months old.

I searched the board for a recall Bowden Cables thread and was very surprised to see a 18 month old thread! I have today received a recall (Code 5711) on my MY21 Cali, advising me that when the temperature reaches 0 or below the front doors could "spontaneously open when driving". I am struggling to understand why I am now being advised of an issue 18 months after it was known about and on a van that is 10 months old.
There have been two recalls regrading the Bowden Cables. The first 'fix' has not worked correctly so VW has issued a second. Your vehicle rolled off the production line with the first 'fix' already applied.

I was driving my Cali a two weeks ago we had just had a spell of cold weather, but the night I was driving it was quite mild (9C) … all was fine when suddenly all the interior lights came on both in the cabin and the habitation area and the dash showed the drivers door unlocked. Thank goodness it didn’t fly right open and I managed to pull over and shut it. Does this sounds like the Bowden cable issue?? - I’ve also had the navigation problem and the electric sliding door has stopped opening from the inside (I have to use the key). It’s booked in for a software recall and I’ve added on the two door issues. I love the van and can cope with the nav software issues but I’ve been worried about using it with these door safety issues which is really annoying on a new van so I haven’t used it much in the last 3 weeks.

I’ve had the same recall (door cables and infotainment issues) but the fix from my dealer wasn’t done very well which resulted in a noisy rattle in the door. It was like a spanner had been left in there!

A friend who does conversions said that putting the door panel back on is awkward and said the gap in mine at the top showed it wasn’t on properly. So I booked an appointment with the dealers for them to take another look, and also clear the service inspection message that they’d not cleared from the last service.

I was told all had been resolved and duly collected my cali last night. No sign of the rattle (yet) but the top of the panel is still showing a gap that can be squeezed.
c8744c43f72cbad300efd76141526186.jpg

Had anyone else had the same experience. Should I book another slot with the dealers or am I just being unreasonable?

Like the OP I bought my cali from a main dealer who is a long way from where I live so I’m using my local main dealer for servicing etc. I get the impression that they do the least possible as they didn’t get the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When mine was done it was put back with no noticeable issues...I think I would take it back for them to sort as it would annoy me for weeks.....and it would also annoy my wife with me going on about it endlessly!:)

Back