Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean battery Level Status Fluctuating

HectaTheSpecta

HectaTheSpecta

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all

I’ve tried to have a good search but unable to find anything relatable but as the title says my battery levels go up and down quite a lot On minimal usage.

Having recently returned from an off grid trip for 5 days I was interested in how much my battery level would display. With only the fridge on level 2 I was surprised to see it jump around from > 60H to 12 then up to 18. To be honest it would go and down quite a lot even with a few trips / drives in between. Knowing it was doing this, I paid particularly attention to the battery level status on the return drive home and it was stuck at 28H for approx 2 hours of a 4 hour journey which then increased to 29H by the time we got home. we checked it a couple of hours later and it was back up past > 60H.

Checking it again this morning and it was back into the 30s!

A bit of a mystery. Any ideas and has anyone experienced this?

Hi, the amount of hours left is pure guess work by the algorithm. It will go up and down wildly all depending on the draw at that particular moment it is sampled. For example if your fridge has cut in and drawing a few amps, the hours drop because the algorithm thinks that draw will continue at that level. Of course the fridge cuts out again a while later because it's cold enough and cuts out. At that point the algorithm resamples with less load and the numbers shoot back up. Be more informed by the voltage left. There are a good few tables posted on here and elsewhere indicating that something above 12.6v means your pretty much fully charged and something dropping towards 11.6 means your getting close to the point where you should be thinking about topping up before they become unusable. Hope that helps. I too get obsessed about the amount of hours left, but it can be just another one things to worry about, when you should probably just be concerned if the beer in the fridge is cold :thumb

As Stu@rt says it's to do with the algorithm.
I'm surevive read or seen somewhere that it gradually learns your behaviour off grid and becomes more accurate. It also depends on things like the temperature so how hard the fridge has to work etc.
The voltage is far more accurate and important.