Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean Bench seat Jammed while we’re away!!

Dark Ocean

Dark Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Ok, so picked up the new camper last week and I have set the downstairs bed up nearly ten times now showing friends and family. We are away for the bank holiday weekend and just setting the downstairs bed and it’s jammed!!! Kids are upstairs so we need our downstairs bed. I have read the forum back to front and tried everything including putting a rod down the runner. The seat is in its furthest back position and won’t slide forward as it’s jammed at the back on the drivers side runner. The passenger side moves but the driver side won’t. When pulling the lever, the front of the bench lifts about an inch or two but the back doesn’t budge. You couldn’t make it up!! How to spoil our first weekend away. Bad nights sleep on it’s way and a trip to the dealers next week.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Gutted.

I think the usual advice is to sit on it and push it back and forth with feet on the floor.
My legs aren’t long enough so I usually do it crouched in front or even from standing outside.
It could just be out of alignment between driver and passenger side?
I have had more trouble with the T6.1 Beach than the T6 Ocean.
Not much help for you right now though.

Awful situation to be in esp at night and esp when inexperienced.

We’ve had that a few times. Always sorted it by sitting in middle of seat and jiggling it forward and back, forcefully. One person only on seat for maximum movement.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I’ve managed to source the issue but can’t fix it, the lever isn’t disengaging the drivers side rear mechanism locking catch. There are four in total, two on each side. It looks like a dealer visit and back home tomorrow. The good news is the aux heater works a treat as it’s only 1c tonight.

Thanks guys, I’ve managed to source the issue but can’t fix it, the lever isn’t disengaging the drivers side rear mechanism locking catch. There are four in total, two on each side. It looks like a dealer visit and back home tomorrow. The good news is the aux heater works a treat as it’s only 1c tonight.
Really feel for you Dark Ocean. A rotten thing to happen. Here’s to your next trip away.

Hey Camperfamily, yes I read Grumpygranddad’s thread and think it’s the same issue. I’m just worried this may happen again when we’re abroad.
Sounds like exactly the same issue. To reassure you @Dark Ocean ,it hasn’t reoccurred but having said that i’ve only tested it a few times since.

Hi,
Can i ask how things worked out for you?
I have the same problem with my 2seat bench in my beach, I was this morning with VW but they din't fix it... Im a littlebit worry now.
Im still in warranty so let's hope !

Grts from Belgium

Hi,
Can i ask how things worked out for you?
I have the same problem with my 2seat bench in my beach, I was this morning with VW but they din't fix it... Im a littlebit worry now.
Im still in warranty so let's hope !

Grts from Belgium
Hi @thesurfervanbeach
My bench seat stuck when the van was new in November 2020 and following repair has not reoccurred since.

It was sorted out quickly by my VW local workshop under warranty, but not on the first visit as they needed to order spare parts.

I believe they replaced the complete seat base rather than attempt a repair.

From memory I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to get the parts and then 1 day to do the repair.

Good luck.

Hi @thesurfervanbeach
My bench seat stuck when the van was new in November 2020 and following repair has not reoccurred since.

It was sorted out quickly by my VW local workshop under warranty, but not on the first visit as they needed to order spare parts.

I believe they replaced the complete seat base rather than attempt a repair.

From memory I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to get the parts and then 1 day to do the repair.

Good luck.
Allright, thanks for the info!
Im still in warranty so let's hope. They where allready trying to put the fault on me but that's not gonne happen.
We are a family from 4 with 2 little children so 3 weeks gonne be hard ^^

Allright, thanks for the info!
Im still in warranty so let's hope. They where allready trying to put the fault on me but that's not gonne happen.
We are a family from 4 with 2 little children so 3 weeks gonne be hard ^^
When you pull the release handle up, it should release 4 ‘locks’ (1 on each corner of the bench) that latch into the upside down ‘rack’ in the floor rails. The fault on mine was that 1 of the ‘locks’ was not moving when the handle was pulled up. I believe a linkage arm had become detached. Should be repairable but getting access to the mechanism is fiddly and time consuming hence why my dealer replaced the bench.
There are instructions on accessing the mechanism on this forum somewhere.

When you pull the release handle up, it should release 4 ‘locks’ (1 on each corner of the bench) that latch into the upside down ‘rack’ in the floor rails. The fault on mine was that 1 of the ‘locks’ was not moving when the handle was pulled up. I believe a linkage arm had become detached. Should be repairable but getting access to the mechanism is fiddly and time consuming hence why my dealer replaced the bench.
There are instructions on accessing the mechanism on this forum somewhere.
Oke thanks!
How long did it take for the new bench :/?

Oké so my local vw garage want to let me pay the bills for a repair..!
They say you forge a cable are somthing and the repair gonne be 800€ without work hours.
They opend the seat and put it back in sit position.

What now?...
I dint so anything wrong with the bench, I just go to Volkswagen for to show that it's stuck.
They try to put it up with 4 peaple.
Sad

If you haven’t damaged the seat by misuse or accident then it should be a fault covered by warranty (if your van is still covered). How do they suggest it is possible to ‘force a cable or something’ through normal operation of the seat?

Oké so my local vw garage want to let me pay the bills for a repair..!
They say you forge a cable are somthing and the repair gonne be 800€ without work hours.
They opend the seat and put it back in sit position.

What now?...
I dint so anything wrong with the bench, I just go to Volkswagen for to show that it's stuck.
They try to put it up with 4 peaple.
Sad
We had the same issue on our 1st van just outside the warranty. (note UK van) VW picked up 90% of the bill. Think your dealer if you have a warranty is talking rubbish. I would go to VW direct or a different dealer. If you are within warranty you have a fault in a part that should be covered.