Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean - Recall

H

Hamish S

Making up for the years spoilt by school and work
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I have just been advised that my new T6.1 Ocean, meant to be picking up next week, has a recall which they will fix before I collect. Does anyone know what the recall is for? If not I will ask on Monday.

Not really a recall. More like the dealers are now the last step of the manufacturing process.

Sounds more like a service action rather than a recall. Last minute software change that got released after production and added to the PDI.

Make sure it doesn't involve changing the control panel to a white one, with a black screen and some buttons on it!

Maybe it's a software update of the control panel?

Haha, Nice try, don't think I would go for that option, horses of courses though. I do believe it is something to do with the doors. Water ingress can cause the front doors to open at will whilst travelling. If it is I think I may wait for that to be fixed...……..

That’s interesting, I didn’t know they’d changed the doors on the 6.1.

I think it's the locks?

and the answer is: -
Water ingress at temperatures below freezing point may affect the function of the door lock mechanism. The driver’s and front passenger’s doors, as well as the rear door on the double-cab version, could open unexpectedly while driving.

With a recall under the internal code “57H5“, the Bowden cables will be checked and sealed. According to a spokesman for the German commercial vehicle division of VW, the repair should take a maximum of 2.5 hours. He also stressed that due to the availability of spare parts, owners will be invited to an authorized service center in June at the earliest.

Nothing too really worry about then.....;)

Water ingress at temperatures below freezing point may affect the function of the door lock mechanism. The driver’s and front passenger’s doors, as well as the rear door on the double-cab version, could open unexpectedly while driving.

With a recall under the internal code “57H5“, the Bowden cables will be checked and sealed. According to a spokesman for the German commercial vehicle division of VW, the repair should take a maximum of 2.5 hours. He also stressed that due to the availability of spare parts, owners will be invited to an authorized service center in June at the earliest.

Sounds like Volkswagen added the Vietnam style open door option...

I have just been advised that my new T6.1 Ocean, meant to be picking up next week, has a recall which they will fix before I collect. Does anyone know what the recall is for? If not I will ask on Monday.
I have just had a blown 75A leisure battery box fuse fixed (T6.1 MY21) by VW in Southampton and when I picked my Cali up they advised me that they had fixed a precautionary recall under warranty.
This was "97EY Steering harness check". Apparently there had been a notice issued by VW themselves where they had discovered that the wiring loom had been subject to "chaffing" around the steering shaft.

Just had the same fix on Monday. Cables duly re-rooted.

I have just had a blown 75A leisure battery box fuse fixed (T6.1 MY21) by VW in Southampton and when I picked my Cali up they advised me that they had fixed a precautionary recall under warranty.
This was "97EY Steering harness check". Apparently there had been a notice issued by VW themselves where they had discovered that the wiring loom had been subject to "chaffing" around the steering shaft.
This might be the answer to the strange noise I am experiencing when turning right!

We has something similar ish on an early T6 LWB we had converted.

When it was frosty and the sun hit the van the alarm would activate, took it into Liverpool van centre who diagnosed an issue with the rear door lock and replaced the whole assembly. Problem solved but interestingly the rear of the van was the last area reached by the sun and the alarm would already have been activated.

The below is a googleated version of the linked article in German, referring to recall 57i7 :
https://www.focus.de/auto/news/wege...ocus-online-auto&ts=202108131308&cid=13082021

Friday, August 13th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Divided into several stages, Volkswagen has launched a recall for 239,000 VW buses. The return campaign begins in northern Europe and continues in the south. The reason for this: At lower temperatures, the door lock may seem to lock.

Yesterday the action began in so-called “cold countries”, said a spokesman, citing Scandinavian nations and Russia as examples. In our latitudes, repairs on almost 76,000 units of the T6.1 will probably start in mid-September. Finally, the "warm countries", such as in southern Europe, come up. The start of the campaign is planned for mid-December.

There is a reason for the regional staggering, because on the one hand it is about large quantities and thus complex parts logistics. The driver and passenger door and, in the case of double cabs, also the rear doors of a good 239,000 buses require new door bottom cables with improved sealing and additional sealing foils on the door locks.

Lower temperatures can trigger dummy locking in VW buses
On the other hand, the error pattern also requires priority for areas with an early onset of winter. “Penetrating water can impair the door locking mechanism at temperatures below freezing point and consequently cause the door lock to appear to be locked,” said the spokesman.
There was already a recall last year, but for significantly fewer vehicles. Now the T6 models that rolled off the production lines in Hanover and Poznan between July 1, 2019 and May 5, 2021 must (again) go into contract operation. The measure with the internal code “57i7” takes about three and a half hours according to the manufacturer.

... Now the T6 models that rolled off the production lines in Hanover and Poznan between July 1, 2019 and May 5, 2021 must (again) go into contract operation. The measure with the internal code “57i7” takes about three and a half hours according to the manufacturer.
Phew… I‘ve picked mine up June 24, 2019 in Hannover!

Which puts your build week what, about 8 weeks earlier? I'm not sure you're out of the woods here.
if the models concerned are from 1st July 2019 onwards, my van was built before that...
Let see if I get a letter from VW when it starts getting colder. Today was 30°C here, it shouldn't affect the door lock for the time being....

Back