Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean under passenger seat wiring question

Viktorgeorge

Viktorgeorge

Starlight Blue Ocean 4Mo MY2023 older bellows
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I think it is unlikely, but does anyone have a photo similar to below showing the wiring and fastening clip below the passenger seat?

My photo below is taken with the seat facing backwards (and lifted at an angle for visual access).

The retaining clip has come away, as the photo shows, and I am struggling to put it back in a correct position so as not to cause the wires to tangle or foul when the seat is rotated.

Underseat seat wiring.jpg

Looks like it goes way up inside and clips on to something.

Thank you, that is helpful @Californication69.

I think those are the cables from the connectors going up inside into the seat. You probably cannot get a shot of the other side of the connectors i.e. the cable that comes up from below the seat, and joins the above connectors. That is ideally the view I need.

And if you or anyone can give me that view, it would be helpful to know if it is taken with the seat facing frontwards or backwards.

Last edited:
I think this clip on the right with a tie clip on, circled in yellow, should clip on the yellow circled bit where there’s a hole.
0FC30491-79F6-4B9A-81BC-E24CD903AA00.jpeg

Thank you @Californication69.

From your photo immediately above, it looks as if your black rectangular clip is detached as well, or is it actually attached?

Chair facing backwards.
Looks like they just hang down…

996A2B40-8F21-4F1E-AED6-16A39801803B.jpeg
Yep, not clipped in anywhere. Just hang down.
7F663B3F-9545-4AC0-ABF0-8E1C8E6E65F8.jpeg

If I could send you a video, I would.

Thank you. You have given me all you can, if your clip is detached. Really kind of you to give me your time.

I have leather retrimming last week, DK Schweitzer, and on my return got an airbag warning lamp - the first time the passenger seat was rotated and occupied. I concluded that the passenger seat had been put back with the wires tangled. I have untangled them, and ordered a Carista and a boroscope off Amazon, which come tomorrow, and I will continue the investigation and see if I can clear permanently the airbag warning with the Carista, and check the cables are not snagging with the boroscope as I rotate the seat. It is interesting that your clip is detached. My driver's seat clip is attached and the cable appear snag free in rotation, but it looks as if that clip has a precise position to not pull free.

I could have done without this as I had an Continental holiday booked for Thursday which I have put off whilst I sort the problem, did not want any risk of airbag failure on the autoroutes etc.

Last edited:
Thank you. You have given me all you can, if your clip is detached. Really kind of you to give me your time.

I have leather retrimming last week, DK Schweitzer, and on my return got an airbag warning lamp - the first time the passenger seat was rotated and occupied. I concluded that the passenger seat had been put back with the wires tangled. I have untangled them, and ordered a Carista and a boroscope off Amazon, which come tomorrow, and I will continue the investigation and see if I can clear permanently the airbag warning with the Carista, and check the cables are not snagging with the boroscope as I rotate the seat. It is interesting that your clip is detached. My driver's seat clip is attached and the cable appear snag free in rotation, but it looks as if that clip has a precise position to not pull free.

I could have done without this as I had an Continental holiday booked for Thursday which I have put off whilst I sort the problem, did not want any risk of airbag failure on the autoroutes etc.
If you place the seat in the forward position, undo the 4 bolts/nuts holding it to the sliding rail you can lean the seat forward to rest on the dashboard. You can then disconnect the 2 plugs of the wiring that go to the seat, Airbag and Heated seats. Untangle, secure the clips and re-connect the 2 connectors. Use Carista to clear the airbag fault warning light.
That's what the garage would do. Trying to check out and untangling with the seat insitu using a boroscope would be extremely difficult.

If you place the seat in the forward position, undo the 4 bolts/nuts holding it to the sliding rail you can lean the seat forward to rest on the dashboard. You can then disconnect the 2 plugs of the wiring that go to the seat, Airbag and Heated seats. Untangle, secure the clips and re-connect the 2 connectors. Use Carista to clear the airbag fault warning light.
That's what the garage would do. Trying to check out and untangling with the seat insitu using a boroscope would be extremely difficult.

Thank you @WelshGas. I am back at DK Schweitzer and they are doing pretty much as you suggest, except they have taken the seats out to check all the cables for damage, there appears to be none. They are going to reset and we will see.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved but the Carista and boroscope may prove useful, after I have left, if the fault is not resolved: allowing me to check that all the cables move freely and safely. DK Schweitzer are already starting to say it might be a separate (ECU) problem but I am not convinced. I think it was a cable tangle temporarily stressing the yellow connector.

Thank you @WelshGas. I am back at DK Schweitzer and they are doing pretty much as you suggest, except they have taken the seats out to check all the cables for damage, there appears to be none. They are going to reset and we will see.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved but the Carista and boroscope may prove useful, after I have left, if the fault is not resolved: allowing me to check that all the cables move freely and safely. DK Schweitzer are already starting to say it might be a separate (ECU) problem but I am not convinced. I think it was a cable tangle temporarily stressing the yellow connector.
It used to be a problem on the T5, mainly the passenger seat being turned stressing the airbag connector.

It used to be a problem on the T5, mainly the passenger seat being turned stressing the airbag connector.
I think that is exactly what happened.

Both of the cable supplies from below the seats have a black rectangular clip that looks like it is meant to attach somewhere. But I could not work out where. Wherever I tried (over the weekend) the cable then snagged at seat rotation. @Californication has a similar T6.1 and his clips are detached so I am wondering if the clip is simply temporary whilst the seats are in transit from the factory pre-fixing.

With good intentions (but perhaps wrongly) DK Schweitzer may have attached those clips to the circular opening on the seat underside when putting the seats back after re-trim. That is my current theory.

Anyway another technician at DK Schweitzer has taken the seats out, checked them all over and put them back (with the clips loose). I have left there and parked up and putting things to the test. So far no problem .

Hi
T6.1, 6 month old demonstrator.
Here are some pictures of my underseat.
I don't think it has been tampered with, the clip part it dangling on mine as well. It looks like it should push onto an edge. I will try and see if I can get it upto the hole that was mentioned above.

20230411_114110.jpg

20230411_113633.jpg

20230411_113405.jpg

Just looked and think you would need to be doctor(surgeon) to get up there without the seat off. Has anybody else got a picture of the clip in place. It is possible to get a picture with the seat slid forward.

It looks like the clip supports the cable, mine is putting stress on the cable connectors under the seat. A problem waiting to happen.

Just realised, I'm looking at my drivers seat.

Think I just need to find an edge to push the clip onto.

20230411_124042.jpg

Last edited:
W
Just looked and think you would need to be doctor(surgeon) to get up there without the seat off. Has anybody else got a picture of the clip in place. It is possible to get a picture with the seat slid forward.

It looks like the clip supports the cable, mine is putting stress on the cable connectors under the seat. A problem waiting to happen.

It difficult to get under there with the seat bolted down. Think I just need to find an edge to push the clip onto.

View attachment 107150
@CalforniaPhil, I think you may be making the same mistake that DK Schweizer and I made, i.e. assuming that the black cable tied clip has detached itself. On the contrary I now suspect - subject to any further feedback - that is should be detached, and that it is purely a temporary clip to hold the cable out of the way from damage during production, and now redundant. I realise that at first seems is counter intuitive, but wherever you put the clip, it creates strain on a part of the harness during rotation.

I think that is why I got the airbag warning message after my retrim, DK Schweitzer fastened the clip when it should have been left loose: and the wires then got caught.

This is , of course, only my layman's theory so I would be interested to hear if other as new T6.1 California have 'hanging' clips (as visible in my photo in posting #1 above) on both seats. I agree that these are hard to see, though if you pull off the lower back valence (easy to do, snap on snap off fixings, with integral light which cable can be unclipped so as to put the valence aside) and rotate the seat to suit you can see quite well with a torch.

Currently I am strongly inclined to remove the two black cable-tied clips completely, subject to any further intelligence from others, because it is now my guess that, left in-situ, they are an inadvertent trap that I and others fell into, which others again may fall into.

Last edited:
W

@CalforniaPhil, I think you may be making the same mistake that DK Schweizer and I made, i.e. assuming that the black cable tied clip has detached itself. On the contrary I now suspect - subject to any further feedback - that is should be detached, and that it is purely a temporary clip to hold the cable out of the way from damage during production, and now redundant. I realise that at first seems is counter intuitive, but wherever you put the clip, it creates strain on a part of the harness during rotation.

I think that is why I got the airbag warning message after my retrim, DK Schweitzer fastened the clip when it should have been left loose: and the wires then got caught.

This is , of course, only my layman's theory so I would be interested to hear if other as new T6.1 California have 'hanging' clips (as visible in my photo in posting #1 above) on both seats. I agree that these are hard to see, though if you pull off the lower back valence (easy to do, snap on snap off fixings, with integral light which cable can be unclipped so as to put the valence aside) and rotate the seat to suit you can see quite well with a torch.

Currently I am strongly inclined to remove the two black cable-tied clips completely, subject to any further intelligence from others, because it is now my guess that, left in-situ, they are an inadvertent trap that I and others fell into, which others again may fall into.
Any updates ?

Back