Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 options - standard wood look floor?

.Billy Ocean.

.Billy Ocean.

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Afternoon all,

We ordered an Ocean back in August and requested a number of options at that time. What I didn’t do at that time was take a copy of the online configuration sheet. I’ve just put our requested spec through the VW configurator, and I’m sure there have been some minor tweaks since our order, but wondered if anyone could advise on the following please:

We’ve currently ordered the ‘Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat’ but have noticed this has possibly resulted in ‘Luggage compartment cover’ being deleted. Based on posts here, I think we’ll mostly sleep upstairs. I’ve read the downstairs mattress can be removed, but does this mean there will be an open view in to the boot area? It’s really tricky to picture how the rear space works.

We’ve also ordered the ‘Wooden floor with plastic lining’ as we understood the standard floor to be the rubber grey dots. However, on the configuration it shows that ‘Reinforced pastic floor covering in wood look’ has been deleted. Does anyone know if the latest version comes with a wood look floor rather than the dots. We’d rather not pay £500+ for something that is standard now.

Doubt the wood effect flooring would be standard. Its still an option on the German configurator, so continues to be offered at least in this market but maybe not Uk spec Cali's.

Doubt the wood effect flooring would be standard. Its still an option on the German configurator, so continues to be offered at least in this market but maybe not Uk spec Cali's.
Agreed, but that’s how it appears on the configuration system. I’ve now found a previous topic about the flooring, it was referring to a Coast rather than an Ocean, but doesn’t appear anyone figured it out. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ng-in-california-coast-2022-production.42869/

Surely if you've ordered an Ocean, the rear bed extension and comfort sleeping mattress will be standard equipment?
The bed extension - ie the parcel shelf that makes up the boot end of the bed is standard. . The padded small mattress that covers just the bed extension is also standard. The comfort mattress - a 3 way folding thin slab of foam that covers both the folded down bench and the bed extension is optional even on an Ocean.

‘Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat’
With hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought this. The Zonesleep is superior and folds up the same way, and others are available for less money. If you can, I'd delete it.
Wooden floor with plastic lining
This on the other hand is great...

With hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought this. The Zonesleep is superior and folds up the same way, and others are available for less money. If you can, I'd delete it

I totally agree with that, but disagree re the "wooden" floor. I think the money is better spent on a decent set of carpets. A full set makes a big difference in sound deadening, nicer to stand on for cold mornings, & stops everything sliding around in the boot.

Thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated.

We’re waiting to hear if we can make any changes, but after reading @andyinluton comment confirming the bed extension bit comes as standard, I think we’ll try to delete the mattress option. We have some duvalays from camping that would hopefully soften the downstairs bed on windy nights. And based on our current Cali stash, we could do with all the extra space we can get!

As for the floor, I’ve tried a few different options but still can’t work out if the standard floor is now grey dots or wood effect. I would have assumed when selecting the wood floor option, the configuration sheet would show something like “grey dot floor” crossed out, whereas it currently shows ‘Reinforced pastic floor covering in wood look’ crossed out. As @Corradobrit suggests, no doubt it’s just another glitch in the system.

I totally agree with that, but disagree re the "wooden" floor. I think the money is better spent on a decent set of carpets. A full set makes a big difference in sound deadening, nicer to stand on for cold mornings, & stops everything sliding around in the boot.
I have some good carpets that I use when camping, but the "wooden" floor is easier to clean than the carpets (or the notchy slightly rubberised standard floor) and looks better, so when I'm not camping the carpets are in the boot.

I have some good carpets that I use when camping, but the "wooden" floor is easier to clean than the carpets (or the notchy slightly rubberised standard floor) and looks better, so when I'm not camping the carpets are in the boot.
We’ve only hired two Oceans, one with and one without the wood floor, but we much preferred the wood effect floor. The standard floor doesn’t feel very nice, neither does it look as good. It’s a costly option and then seems a shame to cover it with carpet but we’ve still optioned it.

I’m still wondering if VW have changed the standard Ocean floor from the grey dots to a ‘Reinforced pastic floor covering in wood look’. We’ve of course tried to contact our dealer for clarification…

I was watching a California Chris video recently and he very clearly pointed out that the ‘Wooden floor with plastic lining’ option is made with wood, so I can see why that would still be sold as an option over a plastic floor, even if that plastic floor now looked like wood rather than dots.

Has anyone recently received an Ocean* with a wood look floor who didn’t specify the wooden floor option? If so, any chance of some photos please?

* Apologies, I’m not familiar with the Beach and Coast options, so not sure what would be standard or an option.

I’m still wondering if VW have changed the standard Ocean floor from the grey dots to a ‘Reinforced pastic floor covering in wood look’. We’ve of course tried to contact our dealer for clarification…

I was watching a California Chris video recently and he very clearly pointed out that the ‘Wooden floor with plastic lining’ option is made with wood, so I can see why that would still be sold as an option over a plastic floor, even if that plastic floor now looked like wood rather than dots.

Has anyone recently received an Ocean* with a wood look floor who didn’t specify the wooden floor option? If so, any chance of some photos please?

* Apologies, I’m not familiar with the Beach and Coast options, so not sure what would be standard or an option.

We picked up our Ocean this month - grey dot floor as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think VW have neglected to include the no cost flooring option on the configurator. The only choice is a 500+ quid wood effect floor.
Best get the carpet - saves on the knees.

Interesting comments on ‘floor preferences’ . I can understand why the standard grey with dots floor is carpeted to keep the toes warm but carpets do get dirty. We went down the black rubber covering, sold in the club shop as we have a dog and it’s so much easier to clean. Fits in the boot too and stops any potential ‘sliding’ of luggage.

I prefer the rug option. I've customised 2 marvel rugs from dunelm so that they fit perfectly and I can lift 1 and place on the other when the lower bed is needed.
I chose these because they're rubber backed so if any liquid is split it doesn't go into the runners. Also, after spending 3 weeks touring Cornwall, the rugs are so easy to lift up and shake outside to get rid of all that sand that inevitably gets in the van.

20210819_180405.jpg

I prefer the rug option. I've customised 2 marvel rugs from dunelm so that they fit perfectly and I can lift 1 and place on the other when the lower bed is needed.
I chose these because they're rubber backed so if any liquid is split it doesn't go into the runners. Also, after spending 3 weeks touring Cornwall, the rugs are so easy to lift up and shake outside to get rid of all that sand that inevitably gets in the van.

View attachment 95504
Great job! Those mats are excellent- we have a few around the house.

View attachment 95504
They are excellent. Did they not fray when you cut them or did you/someone, sew them round the edge?

They are excellent. Did they not fray when you cut them or did you/someone, sew them round the edge?
They are rubber backed so no fraying so far. 12 months down. I bought 2 wide runners (they do normal width and wide) moved the bed forward as far as it would go and put some tap to mark the spot. Then moved the bed to where we normally have it and fitted the 1st 1 using scissors and a Stanley knife. Then placed the 2nd 1 down, trying to match the stripes, and fitted it so it goes behind the front seats and over the cab/living area join.
They've been washed 5/6 times in the washing machine. Constantly removed and shaken whilst away, and had plenty of leftovers for the door step mats. Still got some left stored in the loft for when the doorsteps wear out. I bought a matching 1 but different shape for the boot. Not quite big enough but nobody knows that but me

They are rubber backed so no fraying so far. 12 months down. I bought 2 wide runners (they do normal width and wide) moved the bed forward as far as it would go and put some tap to mark the spot. Then moved the bed to where we normally have it and fitted the 1st 1 using scissors and a Stanley knife. Then placed the 2nd 1 down, trying to match the stripes, and fitted it so it goes behind the front seats and over the cab/living area join.
They've been washed 5/6 times in the washing machine. Constantly removed and shaken whilst away, and had plenty of leftovers for the door step mats. Still got some left stored in the loft for when the doorsteps wear out. I bought a matching 1 but different shape for the boot. Not quite big enough but nobody knows that but me
Very nice, thank you

Two 50cm wide Marvel matts fit perfectly in the 2-seat Beach and presumably the Ocean. The leftovers from trimming the ends can be used to make matts for the steps :)

Afternoon all,

We ordered an Ocean back in August and requested a number of options at that time. What I didn’t do at that time was take a copy of the online configuration sheet. I’ve just put our requested spec through the VW configurator, and I’m sure there have been some minor tweaks since our order, but wondered if anyone could advise on the following please:

We’ve currently ordered the ‘Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat’ but have noticed this has possibly resulted in ‘Luggage compartment cover’ being deleted. Based on posts here, I think we’ll mostly sleep upstairs. I’ve read the downstairs mattress can be removed, but does this mean there will be an open view in to the boot area? It’s really tricky to picture how the rear space works.

We’ve also ordered the ‘Wooden floor with plastic lining’ as we understood the standard floor to be the rubber grey dots. However, on the configuration it shows that ‘Reinforced pastic floor covering in wood look’ has been deleted. Does anyone know if the latest version comes with a wood look floor rather than the dots. We’d rather not pay £500+ for something that is standard now.
What you ordered in August should be what you get now. We picked ours up last week (July order) and all options, including the ones you have, were exactly as expected. Due to spec changes and the global issues todays configurator, which is for todays orders, bears little resemblance to what it did this time last year. Given the price hikes that’s a relief!