Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 quality drop?

Most vehicles I've owned, including a T5.1 and T6 had a convenient place in the glove box to store the handbook. It may not be mandatory, but it's certainly is very convenient. The California may have loads of storage in your opinion, but I don't know whether you've actually looked at a T6.1 dashboard, the lack of storage box on the top, and silly little slots for pens to get stuck in. The whole design his pants. IMO
I have seen it on the Caravelle but not on a California and to be honest I didn’t pay much attention to the glove box. We have been thinking of trading in our T6 Beach (which has very little covered storage in the builders van dash) for a 6.1 before production ends. I’ll go and check one in more detail. Although having read in various threads about some electrical issues with 6.1 dash and camping control unit, I’m starting to think we should just keep the T6.
Really like this forum for all the views and advice

We still have our 2019 Ocean but went to check out the new T6.1 and were shocked at the quality of the dash and door cards. The new California's appears to be based on the van interior, like most VW conversions. The T6 Cali uses the interior from the executive Transporter so has soft touch door tops with cloth trim sides and an almost Audi like dash panel. We will be holding on to our T6 for the foreseeable but has anyone that's moved from a T6 to 6.1 noticed the change in quality or are we a one off??
We have a 2008 California and I am constantly impressed by the durability of a vehicle that is now 13 years old. Everything works and we have only ever had minor issues that were an easy fix. Admittedly the vehicle has only done 145,000kms (90,000 miles) but still impressive

as A recent california owner, it all comes down to expectation I guess.
coming from a fully airsuspended w212 e-class with exclusive pack interior (and roof tent), I am finally done rubbing and maintaining (white) nappa leather, leather dash trim etc...
the California has so much more on offer (about the same money), much much more, the Downgraded interior trim is the least of my worries. I am even very impressed with driving seat quality, for a standard seat. That was really my biggest concern, having a bad back. Off course the sofa in the merc was better, but not that much.
with buying driving And using the Cali daily, it Has moved much of the driving comfort into the living comfort, which the merc has not.
For a van, the interior trim and quality is very good I find. Even though this is an expensive vehicle (which all of us enthusiasts keep high), it is not a premium vehicle. The dealership treats it that way, delivery as quick as possible, attention only to the transporter part. What to expect from a big-mass commercial vehicle seller accidentally having to sell campers because vw has it?

i have not sold my merc. If I use it now, I look to the interior and have to say wow, still after 5 years. But other than that it does bring nothing. The best value on the merc is it’s 4corner air suspension, the only real noticeable enjoyable plus of the merc.
The merc will probably get sold (still giving it a chance), with that cash I could (and probably will) upgrade the Cali with the merc’s best thing: the air suspension, which no Cali has from factory, t5 or t6.
I can off course not speak of a t6 t6.1 comparison, but when the the6.1 interior does not fail a previous ’exclusive’ interior e-class owner, it says something.
the price of that exclusive interior and air ride is apparently the whole living and sleeping features of a Cali...
it is that van-ish driving experience that bothers me the most.
just my 2c... from a happy new California driver.

as A recent california owner, it all comes down to expectation I guess.
coming from a fully airsuspended w212 e-class with exclusive pack interior (and roof tent), I am finally done rubbing and maintaining (white) nappa leather, leather dash trim etc...
the California has so much more on offer (about the same money), much much more, the Downgraded interior trim is the least of my worries. I am even very impressed with driving seat quality, for a standard seat. That was really my biggest concern, having a bad back. Off course the sofa in the merc was better, but not that much.
with buying driving And using the Cali daily, it Has moved much of the driving comfort into the living comfort, which the merc has not.
For a van, the interior trim and quality is very good I find. Even though this is an expensive vehicle (which all of us enthusiasts keep high), it is not a premium vehicle. The dealership treats it that way, delivery as quick as possible, attention only to the transporter part. What to expect from a big-mass commercial vehicle seller accidentally having to sell campers because vw has it?

i have not sold my merc. If I use it now, I look to the interior and have to say wow, still after 5 years. But other than that it does bring nothing. The best value on the merc is it’s 4corner air suspension, the only real noticeable enjoyable plus of the merc.
The merc will probably get sold (still giving it a chance), with that cash I could (and probably will) upgrade the Cali with the merc’s best thing: the air suspension, which no Cali has from factory, t5 or t6.
I can off course not speak of a t6 t6.1 comparison, but when the the6.1 interior does not fail a previous ’exclusive’ interior e-class owner, it says something.
the price of that exclusive interior and air ride is apparently the whole living and sleeping features of a Cali...
it is that van-ish driving experience that bothers me the most.
just my 2c... from a happy new California driver.
A great perspective. My T6 has been my only vehicle for the last 4 years. Before that it was a Ford Transit based self-built campervan in the USA, before that a pickup and a Defender in Africa. I’ve got used to driving ‘trucks’. While my California is in the garage for a diff-lock repair, I’ve got a Passat for a courtesy car. It drives so much better. I don’t think a van can match that. I do miss my camper already though.

A great perspective. My T6 has been my only vehicle for the last 4 years. Before that it was a Ford Transit based self-built campervan in the USA, before that a pickup and a Defender in Africa. I’ve got used to driving ‘trucks’. While my California is in the garage for a diff-lock repair, I’ve got a Passat for a courtesy car. It drives so much better. I don’t think a van can match that. I do miss my camper already though.
Then you went up the comfort ladder, until you will have to go from the Passat back to your van. But as you mention, you miss the many extras the camper has on offer, while the Passat 'just looks classy' and drives like a car (it is a car), but it may cost almost the same as a california.
If they made a California with all the bits and bytes it has on offer, AND finished like a E-class in nappa leather and wooden trim with fancy analog clock, and alcantara roof lining, on air suspension, it would cost an arm and a leg. The only reasonable thing to do is to choose a V-class Marco Polo, just because it drives and looks much better, but gives in on living area practical comfort.
I can not see the added value of the E-class, after 5 years. Which has also deprecated much more than a Cali will. If that was a Passat it would be even worse.

Thanks for your useable reaction!

I love my T6.1 but there is one real bug that I have. How can you have a glove box that is so small the manual won't fit in it? Bad design or what?
Not true. My manual fits perfectly in the glove box when positioned spine down to the left of the compartment.

I love my T6.1 but there is one real bug that I have. How can you have a glove box that is so small the manual won't fit in it? Bad design or what?
I need the glove box for more regularly used things - charge cables, guide books, sweets, lighters etc etc.
The rarely-used manual sits well in the pocket on the door side of the drivers seat base.

Back