Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 - Removing the Awning

wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi Peeps
I want to remove the awning on my T6.1 Ocean. I never use it, so it's a drag in every sense of the word. There have been several threads about this, and there is a video (
) that I will follow, so I'm happy with how to go about it.
What I need to know, and can't find anywhere, is the spec for the shorter bolts that I should use to fill the holes left when I take the clamps off. Does anybody know what I will need, please?
Also, if anyone has removed their awning on the T6 or T6.1, any gotchas would be nice to know.
I know it will be a faff putting it back on, so I'll leave that for the next owner to do. ;)
Other reasons for removing it:
1 I want to do some stealth camping, so I want it to look as little like a campervan as possible. That's why I got one in white. Also, copy of the Sun, empty Benson and Hedges fag packets, half-full Lucozade bottles, Screwfix catalogue and bits of leftover KFC on the dashboard to help with the effect.
2 Is it just me, or is it damned ugly?
3 I don't want it stolen. Actually, I wouldn't mind it being stolen - I just don't want the rest of the van damaged when they do it.

I use washers of the same thickness as the brackets on the original bolts, actually tap washers, which do just fine.

I took mine off in Feb, followed the instructions in the video that you linked and it worked like a dream. It's heavy though, so be careful you don't ding the van when it comes off, leave plenty of space to walk away from the van. Have a blanket on the floor to put it on once it comes off. Doing it with one person at each end is much safer - I had to do it alone.

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad
Just remove the awning by winding it out enough to undo the 2 bolts then wind it in and lift it off the brackets. Then raise the roof and remove the 2 bolts holding each of the 2 brackets. You can either replace the bracket bolts or leave them out.

I want it to look as little like a campervan as possible. That's why I got one in white. Also, copy of the Sun, empty Benson and Hedges fag packets, half-full Lucozade bottles, Screwfix catalogue and bits of leftover KFC on the dashboard to help with the effect.
Wow! With that kind of camouflage you'll never get any waves from other VW campers!!

Hi Peeps
I want to remove the awning on my T6.1 Ocean. I never use it, so it's a drag in every sense of the word. There have been several threads about this, and there is a video (
) that I will follow, so I'm happy with how to go about it.
What I need to know, and can't find anywhere, is the spec for the shorter bolts that I should use to fill the holes left when I take the clamps off. Does anybody know what I will need, please?
Also, if anyone has removed their awning on the T6 or T6.1, any gotchas would be nice to know.
I know it will be a faff putting it back on, so I'll leave that for the next owner to do. ;)
Other reasons for removing it:
1 I want to do some stealth camping, so I want it to look as little like a campervan as possible. That's why I got one in white. Also, copy of the Sun, empty Benson and Hedges fag packets, half-full Lucozade bottles, Screwfix catalogue and bits of leftover KFC on the dashboard to help with the effect.
2 Is it just me, or is it damned ugly?
3 I don't want it stolen. Actually, I wouldn't mind it being stolen - I just don't want the rest of the van damaged when they do it.
In that case don’t forget to cover up or scrape off the Ocean logos and tape up the roof.
Anyone who knows camper van knows exactly the profile of a California.
If you intend selling it you should get a few hundred for it but probably be better keeping it for when you eventually sell the van as most people want the awning.

Anyone know how much bettr the fuel consumption is without the awning ?

Anyone know how much bettr the fuel consumption is without the awning ?
I removed it before winter and didn't experience a noticeable difference in consumption. I removed it because of the looks during wildcamping in wintertime (without using the pop-up roof).

Probably negligible . The VW California is hardy what you would call streamline..
Is more about how you drive it IMO
I agree, speed and weather or bikes on the rack kill it more I suspect.
On the twisty commute which includes long stretches of 50MPH and villages moving from speed limits to max 50mph increased it to brim to brim with heater use 39mpg ( 41MFD) from 35mpg, only 5 minutes longer.

Just remove the awning by winding it out enough to undo the 2 bolts then wind it in and lift it off the brackets. Then raise the roof and remove the 2 bolts holding each of the 2 brackets. You can either replace the bracket bolts or leave them out.
As well as the two bolts accessed by winding out the awning a bit, on the OPs T6.1 there are also 2 bolts holding the 2 brackets to the keder rail (piping rail?) on the side of the van, these need to be loosened and the brackets slid along the rail to get them off (and there are 3 bolts on each bracket under the pop-top - just to be pedantic ;)) ... it's all in the video - and may well be different on earlier vans - I don't know - but a T6.1 with a standard VW Awning is 5 bolts on each bracket - 3 under the pop-top, one through the awning and one into the keder rail.

I took mine off and flogged it.

1648885113828.jpeg

Thank you everyone for your comments! I feel much happier going about this. I'll store it in the shed afterwards, so a new owner can take it or leave it.

Thank you everyone for your comments! I feel much happier going about this. I'll store it in the shed afterwards, so a new owner can take it or leave it.
Good thinking. We had to replace our awning after only three and a half years because the seem came apart. Luckily we did a deal with VW and the dealer we all contributed a third each (Supposedly).
Still cost us £250 and this time the awning material is in one piece. If your buyer doesn’t want it you will have absolutely no problem selling a nearly new Genuine California awning for £400-£500.

just drive slower; read-out from our Cali after slowing down on motorway due to road work, normally around 31/2 mpg

1648889370917.jpeg

Right, have removed the awning and am now having a cup of tea.

It's certainly heavy and very advisable to have 2 people lift it off. Thanks for the help!

I'm not bothering with the brackets until next time I lift the roof, which may be some time.

I don't think it looks right without it

Yeah but I like barn doors & manual too so I'm definitely a small subset of VW van owners. Officially ND.

We won't use it, birds are perching on it & shitting down the van & the tree droppings are getting stuck in the valley.

Plus I'm too short to wash the roof properly with it there & it's claustrophobic standing under it.

So it's gone to be cosseted indoors.

Big fan of removing for the non-summer seasons. Welcome to the club