Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Roof Stuck Open

T

theosmonds

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all,
Hope you're all faring well in these troubled time.
In an attempt to get some use out of the cali we've had the pop top up for a couple of days on the drive and this morning when I went to close it (impending rain), the control panel is not responding to Close or Open. It flashed up something briefly about the roof being in an indeterminate or intermediate state but that hasn't come back. When looking at the roof from the outside I can see it's dropped a fraction on the offside. Used a hop-up to take a look at the mechanism I can see the offside mechanism is 10-15mm back from being fully engaged. Nearside is fully engaged.
Referring to the manual there is a section on lowering the roof manually. So I followed the very poor instructions as best as I can and removed the panel housing the emergency buttons, exposing the foam above. I've had to pick all of this out in pieces until I finally find the hydraulic mechanism. Referring to earlier model threads on here I find what looks to be the equivalent of the brass screw (although the new one looks to be silver in colour but in the same position). It's incredibly tricky to reach but I have one screwdriver that is just able to turn it. I loosened it 2 full turns and nothing happened so I've tightened it and now looking for some advice.I've attached some pictures below showing the hydraulic positioning and the super difficult to reach screw. I'm utterly bemused at a system that involves having to spend 2 hours trying to find a screw just to try and lower the roof manually. The manual makes it sound so easy and the photo bears no resemblance to what needs to happen it seems.
I've called my local VW dealer to see if any of the technicians are working but understandably they're working on a skeleton crew.
Any thoughts aside from just torching it on the drive and walking away, as that's how I'm feeling :rolleyes:
IMG_20200603_110051.jpgIMG_20200603_110018.jpg you can see this one isn't fully engaged, although it was all good when we raised 2 days ago with the canvas taught.
IMG_20200603_105832.jpgIMG_20200603_105824.jpgIMG_20200603_105607.jpgIMG_20200603_105550.jpgI believe it's the screw that you can just see on the left with the yellow paint dab. Super difficult to reach.

I don't understand why it wouldn't let you retract. However I have read that after several days of being up, the electro/hydraulic roof can drop slightly over time. From memory I believe that the roof mechanism is designed to re-activate automatically from to time to time, without warning, to effectively re-adjust itself. I'm just guessing but could the warning message mean that until it has pumped itself up it won't allow you to retract?

There are many more people on this forum that know heaps more about these roof issues than I. I may be on totally the wrong track but maybe it's worth exploring. If this is the issue then leaving it for a bit longer might prompt it to auto adjust itself where upon, hopefully, you should be able to retract the roof. If I'm right and not ta uttering drivel, then this isn't this system's finest feature. You would think that any button pressing would bring on an immediate adjustment thereby allowing the roof to be retracted.

Good luck :thumb

P.s Have you tried calling VW Roadside assist or what ever it's called. You can't drive it until it's down so it would be a genuine breakdown call.

Last edited:
Was the control panel working for the other functions?
Did you try starting the engine to do the lowering?
Both questions are addressing power issues, as the van was standing. I’m not sure if we are sure which battery the roof mechanism uses.

Call VW assist this is an issue they should help you with if you and the roof are stuck.

Not quite sure which screw your turning to lower the roof.
My instructions say the slotted one.

7ebc3013b2b96bc949b59fa31c821d8d.jpg

Mike

Not quite sure which screw your turning to lower the roof.
My instructions say the slotted one.

7ebc3013b2b96bc949b59fa31c821d8d.jpg

Mike
yes that's the one on the right, although I haven't taken everything out like that. The manual only said to remove the bit with the emergency buttons. So I guess the lower of the two sections in your photo. In order to see the screw like yours I'd need to remove the touchscreen and housing as well.

Have you started the engine and let it run for a while to see what the control panel says ?

I think you are in new territory here as this is first roof/CP issue on the new 6.1 CP I have seen.

Are you on hookup?
Have you tried running the engine and then turning off and then just putting the ignition on (not start) and try and take the roof up before down?

Yes on hookup for the past 2 days as we've been using it as an office for a change of scene!
So I took it off hookup, tried with engine started, tried with engine off and ignition on. And nothing.
As you can see in the photos, it things everything is all ok!IMG_20200603_122102.jpgIMG_20200603_122052.jpg

Hi all,
Hope you're all faring well in these troubled time.
In an attempt to get some use out of the cali we've had the pop top up for a couple of days on the drive and this morning when I went to close it (impending rain), the control panel is not responding to Close or Open. It flashed up something briefly about the roof being in an indeterminate or intermediate state but that hasn't come back. When looking at the roof from the outside I can see it's dropped a fraction on the offside. Used a hop-up to take a look at the mechanism I can see the offside mechanism is 10-15mm back from being fully engaged. Nearside is fully engaged.
Referring to the manual there is a section on lowering the roof manually. So I followed the very poor instructions as best as I can and removed the panel housing the emergency buttons, exposing the foam above. I've had to pick all of this out in pieces until I finally find the hydraulic mechanism. Referring to earlier model threads on here I find what looks to be the equivalent of the brass screw (although the new one looks to be silver in colour but in the same position). It's incredibly tricky to reach but I have one screwdriver that is just able to turn it. I loosened it 2 full turns and nothing happened so I've tightened it and now looking for some advice.I've attached some pictures below showing the hydraulic positioning and the super difficult to reach screw. I'm utterly bemused at a system that involves having to spend 2 hours trying to find a screw just to try and lower the roof manually. The manual makes it sound so easy and the photo bears no resemblance to what needs to happen it seems.
I've called my local VW dealer to see if any of the technicians are working but understandably they're working on a skeleton crew.
Any thoughts aside from just torching it on the drive and walking away, as that's how I'm feeling :rolleyes:
View attachment 60265View attachment 60266 you can see this one isn't fully engaged, although it was all good when we raised 2 days ago with the canvas taught.
View attachment 60267View attachment 60268View attachment 60269View attachment 60270I believe it's the screw that you can just see on the left with the yellow paint dab. Super difficult to reach.
The “screw” shown in your handbook as “2” looks very different from the screw in the older example photo from @T6 CFO . Is there nothing resembling that?

Last edited:
Control panel reset? The equivalent of hitting the big red switch on a computer.

The “screw” shown in your handbook as “2” looks very different from the screw in the older example photo from @theosmonds. Is there nothing resembling that?
Yes the manual looks nothing like the panel. In fact the manual in the diagram doesn't even look as though the panel needs to be removed! Just stick a screw driver in the front ;) at least the previous model manual had a bit more info about the process! I worked out which screw it should be by referring to previous threads where someone had all the hydraulic pump out and you can see all the fixings and heads on the block.

Well I don't know what changed but I went and had some lunch, came back out to give it one last try before calling vw assist and this time it came to life and magically closed. o_O
So I reopened and everything looks good and tight and then closed and all seated nicely.. Madness.
Nice that it's closed but as soon as I'm able I'll get it booked in to have it checked before our first trip away. Less than 200 miles on the clock and in for the second time. Heho, complicated machines and all that. :thumb thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

Can you take another photo or the opening you have created with the panel removed, but try and get the camera square on so we can properly see up there?

For me? This a straightforward warranty issue, so call VW assist. Dont forget you already paid for their service in the price you paid.
Definitely agree it’s a warranty issue but having got to this stage I reckon it’s worth finding out how to carry out the manual drop.... ready for next time! I’d recommend any new Cali owners take some time to familiarise themselves with the process and do as many have done and pre cut the foam in readiness.

I just worry about invalidating the warranty by it being obvious to VW that an attempt to fix the problem has already been made (not by them). Maybe I'm just Mr Cautious.

I just worry about invalidating the warranty by it being obvious to VW that an attempt to fix the problem has already been made (not by them). Maybe I'm just Mr Cautious.
Not actually fixing the problem, but carrying out the instructions in the Handbook, written by VW, to manually lower the roof to make the vehicle roadworthy.
i don’t think there would be any Warranty implications.

Not actually fixing the problem, but carrying out the instructions in the Handbook, written by VW, to manually lower the roof to make the vehicle roadworthy.
i don’t think there would be any Warranty implications.
You make a good point. :happy

I do wonder if anyone at VW actually proof read the handbooks or even better get a customer to try to use it in a real world scenario.

I wonder if they are written in German in a clear and understandable way but then converted into English by Google translate?

Can you take another photo or the opening you have created with the panel removed, but try and get the camera square on so we can properly see up there?
More straight on image. Top is windscreen direction. I've removed a small chunk of foam in order to see what's going on and you can see the block on the left. The slotted screw is out of sight here in the bottom left hand corner. Certainly not what I expected after reading the manual which suggest it's on the right. SMG Tonbridge called me back and basically said to monitor it and if it happens again get VW assist to come and check/recover. The alternative is to drop it in, they raise the roof and leave it for as long as it takes for it to drop. They also mentioned that generally it wasn't a good idea (for warranty reasons) to go rooting around up there as you may then have issues, however I pointed out that I was just following the steps in the manual to lower the roof and make it safe to drive if required. I also didn't want to leave it with one side sagging slightly as didn't know if that could cause issues with the roof panel.

IMG_20200603_143259.jpg

I do wonder if anyone at VW actually proof read the handbooks or even better get a customer to try to use it in a real world scenario.
I've long thought that after reading parts of the Owners Handbook over the last 3 years. Some very strange English in places!

I've long thought that after reading parts of the Owners Handbook over the last 3 years. Some very strange English in places!
And they’ve left out the most useful section... the fuse allocations! Before I get told off..... :offtopic

Back