Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 speed limiter - a discovery

Rololux

Rololux

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Still relatively new to this van, and since my manual is in German, I am very much still in the discovery phase. Putting the speed limiter on is a bit of a pfaff, involving at least 6 button pushes, but once engaged I find it very useful to avoid those pesky speed cameras. However, I was a little frustrated that it only seemed possible to change the speed limit is 10kph steps using the +/- buttons. But today, I accidentally pushed 'resume' twice when re-engaging the limiter when coming off the motorway. And I noticed that it had increased from 90 to 91kph! So this is indeed a feature: Set the limit using 'set', increase to desired speed using +/-, then hit resume as many times as needed to reach exact speed.

Probably also works with ACC, but I did not test this.

Just thought I'd mention it in case other users have also not found this yet.

Thats a good find, have to try that tomorrow.

Do you know if there is a way of shutting up the constant ping ping if you go over the limit?
Its annoying, limit set at 70mph, go down a hill foot off the throttle & speed creeps up to 71mph you get a constant warning chime. I suppose I could use the brakes but I can't be bothered.

I set this ‘ping’ by accident at 25mph and had no idea how I’d done it....unbelievably annoying until I found it. It was on the main menu settings, accessed from the steering wheel. I found it by scrolling through in desperation. Sorry I can’t be more specific off the top of my head but am sure it will be in the manual too.

Still relatively new to this van, and since my manual is in German, I am very much still in the discovery phase. Putting the speed limiter on is a bit of a pfaff, involving at least 6 button pushes, but once engaged I find it very useful to avoid those pesky speed cameras. However, I was a little frustrated that it only seemed possible to change the speed limit is 10kph steps using the +/- buttons. But today, I accidentally pushed 'resume' twice when re-engaging the limiter when coming off the motorway. And I noticed that it had increased from 90 to 91kph! So this is indeed a feature: Set the limit using 'set', increase to desired speed using +/-, then hit resume as many times as needed to reach exact speed.

Probably also works with ACC, but I did not test this.

Just thought I'd mention it in case other users have also not found this yet.

... and when the ACC/CC is active, pressing "Set" reduces speed by -1.

- +/- for 5 mph changes
Res/Set for +/- 1 mph changes :thumb

On the ACC, once you have set your speed, RES = + 1mph and SET = - 1mph

The + and - 5MPH goes to the next x0 or x5 speed. ie if you have 71MPH set -5 will go to 70MPH and +5 will go to 75MPH.

I set this ‘ping’ by accident at 25mph and had no idea how I’d done it....unbelievably annoying until I found it. It was on the main menu settings, accessed from the steering wheel. I found it by scrolling through in desperation. Sorry I can’t be more specific off the top of my head but am sure it will be in the manual too.
I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the T6 in any form doesn't have a speed limiter. The T6-1 may be a different matter. Is what you are describing merely a audible warning if you exceed a preset speed i.e when you've fitted winter tyres? In other words, it sounds off at the pre-set speed but doesn't prevent you from going faster.

I've had proper speed limiters on Mercedes cars before and once activated you cannot accelerate above the preset speed.

Isn't what's being described in this thread merely a pre set speed warning signal set via the MFD with other references to the functions of cruise control system?

Last edited:
Borris you are correct for a T6 but not for the far superior T6.1!!!

No it is a limiter on the T6.1 works exactly the same as the merc one. Set the speed, foot down & it won't go over that speed unless you use kick down to over-ride it. If you lower the limit it does slow down. It does appear to be that it only has engine braking & won't apply the brakes, hence speeding up going down a hill.

I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the T6 in any form doesn't have a speed limiter. Is what you are describing merely a audible warning if you exceed a preset speed i.e when you've fitted winter tyres? In other words, it sounds off at the pre-set speed but doesn't prevent you from going faster.

I've had proper speed limiters on Mercedes cars before and once activated you cannot accelerate above the preset speed.

Isn't what's being described in this thread merely a pre set speed warning signal set via the MFD with other references to the functions of cruise control system?
The T6.1 does have a proper speed limiter that stops you going above set speed. However, it does not apply the brakes, so if you go down a hill, the engine idles, and you exceed your set speed. The beep being described here alerts you to this fact.

I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the T6 in any form doesn't have a speed limiter. The T6-1 may be a different matter. Is what you are describing merely a audible warning if you exceed a preset speed i.e when you've fitted winter tyres? In other words, it sounds off at the pre-set speed but doesn't prevent you from going faster.

T6 with ACC has speed control/limiting. Standard CC only maintains the speed but no limiting action.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Thank you @andyinluton and @Rololux. So the T6-1 actually has a speed limiter. :thumb

I posted as there seems to be a bit of confusion about this feature with a couple of posts being from T6 owners.

Sorry...I meant to reply to what I though AndyinLuton was asking about....obviously he was talking about something different.

Yes - one of those things that I really wanted but didn't think it had.
There do appear to be quite a lot of undocumented improvements.
With lots of London being 20mph limits now it's a license saver. set the limit & no need to worry about looking at the speedo.

Thank you @andyinluton and @Rololux. So the T6-1 actually has a speed limiter. :thumb

I posted as there seems to be a bit of confusion about this feature with a couple of posts being from T6 owners.
I'm not sure if confusion between the overspeed warning, set via MFD, and an actual physical speed limiter as use by ACC is at play here.

Speed limiters are to be a required feature next year. Some vehicles have it already.
Our Citroen C3 2017 has it. Changes gears to control downhill speeds in cruise and takes the power off in normal driving, can still overspeed in downhill.
Not tried any VW vehicle.

Last edited:
T6 with ACC has speed control/limiting. Standard CC only maintains the speed but no limiting action.
I have a T6 with ACC and was unaware it had a speed limiter function. So are you saying that once set you are unable to accelerate above that speed?

Sorry...I meant to reply to what I though AndyinLuton was asking about....obviously he was talking about something different.
No Dr-Snickers you are correct.
The T6.1 has 3 separate systems:
1. Old style overspeed warning like the T5/6 set 100kph for winter tyres & a gong goes off if you exceed it.
2. ACC set the speed & van speeds up / slows down depending on traffic tries to maintain the speed you have input.
3. Speed limiter, set a speed, you drive the van, press accelerator to control speed etc but the van will not accelerate past this point, however this speed may be exceeded downhill if engine braking is insufficient to hold the van back. if you do overspeed a chime goes off continuously.

No Dr-Snickers you are correct.
The T6.1 has 3 separate systems:
1. Old style overspeed warning like the T5/6 set 100kph for winter tyres & a gong goes off if you exceed it.
2. ACC set the speed & van speeds up / slows down depending on traffic tries to maintain the speed you have input.
3. Speed limiter, set a speed, you drive the van, press accelerator to control speed etc but the van will not accelerate past this point, however this speed may be exceeded downhill if engine braking is insufficient to hold the van back. if you do overspeed a chime goes off continuously.
Re the T6-1 all is now clear. Thanks.

However, my understanding until now, has been that any T6 with ACC or standard cruise has 1 and 2 but not 3. I still think that's correct but am ready to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I don't think the T6 has enough buttons on the steering wheel, its one of the new ones that gets you access to the toggle between ACC and speed limiter.

Its the bottom right black button on the left hand side.

6.1-r-lin-scaled-e1603630036895.jpg

Re the T6-1 all is now clear. Thanks.

However, my understanding until now, has been that any T6 with ACC standard cruise has 1 and 2 but not 3. I still think that's correct but am ready to be proved wrong.
Hi @Borris , the T6 with ACC has a speed limiter. Once set, it does not accelerate beyond the set speed.

Last edited:
Hi @Borris , the T6 with ACC has a speed limiter. Once set, it does not accelerate beyond the set speed.
Sorry to be dense but are you not describing a normal function of the cruise control e.g set speed to 40mph and it will stay at that speed? Or does the function you describe allow you to use the throttle as normal e.g in stop start traffic, but won't let you go above the pre-set speed?

I've had this T6 for over a year but haven't managed to drive it that much. Also being a bloke I tend not to read instruction books that much, only for reference. They induce a coma quicker than a party political broadcast. So it's highly possible it does have a speed limiter and I haven't discovered it yet.

I didn’t see the speed limiter in that video just the normal ACC

Filmed in a T6
Thanks, all is clear now.

Ok I own up, it was just me being thick. I was imagining that the vehicle SL being described operated like those fitted to the Mercedes cars i've previously owned and was unaware of anything similar on a T6. I can now see what was being referred to.

Actually, my excuse is that in the fifteen months that we have had the van, I have only used the ACC briefly and on very few occasions. Due mainly to the covid restrictions, we haven't be using the van much except for the very occasional trip to the supermarket. So I had forgotten about that aspect of the ACC. :(

I'll get my coat.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
I would just clarify Boris, what was shown in that video is the ACC - as item 2 on my list.

Press the additional steering wheel button on a T6.1 & you can change from ACC to Speed limiter mode that works exactly the same as the Mercedes system, ie set your maximum speed, it highlights that range on the digital speedo, & that is the maximum speed normal operation of the accelerator will let you go. In this mode the up / down buttons etc change the limit speed in exactly the same way.

I would just clarify Boris, what was shown in that video is the ACC - as item 2 on my list.

Press the additional steering wheel button on a T6.1 & you can change from ACC to Speed limiter mode that works exactly the same as the Mercedes system, ie set your maximum speed, it highlights that range on the digital speedo, & that is the maximum speed normal operation of the accelerator will let you go. In this mode the up / down buttons etc change the limit speed in exactly the same way.
Yes, I agree. Unlike the T6-1 the T6 hasn't got a conventional SL. That was really the point I was trying to make, badly. You have put it so much better than I could.

As I understand it, the ACC can only be used as a SL when the ACC is engaged and in automatic mode. In other words once set it will do it's own thing responding to traffic conditions but not exceeding the preset speed. OTOH the T6-1 SL function is a new addition which as you have said, works like the conventional Merc system and enables the driver to set the maximum speed whilst retaining manual control of the speed beneath that preset level. :thumb

Back