Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 TVS DSG Drivability Map

Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Has anyone had the TVS DSG Drivability re-map done to Their T6.1?

My Cali is my daily driver and as much as I love it the 7 gear at 40mph is getting a little anoying as is jumping straight to 5th or 4th with a gentle squeeze on the gas!
So i'm considering a TVS DSG re-map. I know this will affect at least the gearbox warranty and being VW probably the whole drivetrain but as my Cali doesn't have a sport mode theres not much I can do to the standard change.

I don't want to increase power as theres more than enough of that.

Any recommendations or horror stories out there?

My Cali is my daily driver and as much as I love it the 7 gear at 40mph is getting a little anoying as is jumping straight to 5th or 4th with a gentle squeeze on the gas!
So i'm considering a TVS DSG re-map. I know this will affect at least the gearbox warranty and being VW probably the whole drivetrain but as my Cali doesn't have a sport mode theres not much I can do to the standard change.

Only heard good things about it. @Loz has had it done on here a few months ago. On my radar ... but after gifting myself a VCDS first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ive only heard good news stories. Got in touch with Bognor who will remove and re-install either side of a dealer service for £50, to prevent warranty issues. Though they considered it unlikely that the software would be detected at a service in any case, so you may just want to revert to factory software if you have cause for a warranty claim?

Plan to get my T6 done as and when the current travel restrictions are lifted.

Oddly I have an issue with not changing down from 7th gear at 40ish mph, hangs on to 7th most of the time.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will message Bognor as they seem to be the experts although they are quite a distance from me.

Edit* just found the brochure Loz attached to this thread, sound good

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will message Bognor as they seem to be the experts although they are quite a distance from me.

I did a dealer search and found one about an hour away. 3 hours nearer than Bognor for me. Might be worth checking.

ECU flashes are not undetectable, even if you revert back to factory. At least not for Audi so I assume the same is true for VW too. These computer control systems are very sophisticated and the manufacturers are well aware owners might overwrite their software.

These look very knowledgeable as a repair centre in addition to doing TVS

www.bristoltransmissions.co.uk

Thanks, I have messaged them an equiry.
They come up as the go to place for gearbox problems on transporter facebook on a regular basis.

CLP Automotive of Sheffield are known for TVS 'stuff'.

Hi Shawn,
I had the drivability update done just last Monday. Paul was the techie that carried out the work. I asked about the 6.1 dsg at the time. Apparently the gearbox s/w is better than that of the T6 but is still lacking. A software upgrade to the 6.1 will still improve further and make a more pleasurable drive.
I would definitely get in touch if I was you, if only for a chat. All the staff are great and so enthusiastic about the work they do.
Since having my Cali done it is a complete transformation from stock. No more vibrations or straining in top gear on tick over, smooth move off with no delay which should take the nightmare out of using the levelling ramps. The kick down on an overtake is amazing, instead of reving the nuts off it before the gear changes up, the gear changes at correct point in the torque band,…… I could go on and on. It is an amazing upgrade.
I Can’t recommend Bognor enough. If further work required at any time, Bognor will be my first port of call.
As said previously, for the cost of labour they will reinstate your original software should you have the need to have dsg work done.

I have to thank members on this forum again for all the information and their experiences prior to me going for this upgrade.

Another option that you might consider is to do a VCDS adaption to the DSG gearbox. The DSG gearbox 'learns' your driving habits. So a software adaption will effectively reset the DSG and you will then 'teach it' how you drive.

Like others, I find some of the gear changes questionable and because I bought our Cali when it was 15 months old, then I'm seeing the results of the previous owner.

There are instructions on how the DSG adaption is done with VCDS on the Ross-Tech website. And since I own a VCDS then I have nothing to lose really.

After doing this and seeing if it makes any difference, I will then consider the remap option.

it does sound a very good upgrade.

Im often very thankful for S mode at times as D drives me nuts with its lazy and often sporadic behaviour. esp at low moving off speeds.

Does this also improve reversing? I always find I have to give it the beans when having to reverse. its a little unnerving when on an incline and around nearby vehicles.

TVS + done on my T6.
Reversing more controllable.
Gear selection matches road speed, engine revs in the 1750 to 2000rpm band instead of going down to 1000rpm area in 7th.
7th gear only used at 60+mph.
Not done at Bognor.
Installer reset the DSG to relearn my driving use/style.
Also gained speed limiting action as on a steep downhill with cruise at 70mph it changed down from 7th to 5th and held speed to 72.

Hi Shawn,
I had the drivability update done just last Monday. Paul was the techie that carried out the work. I asked about the 6.1 dsg at the time. Apparently the gearbox s/w is better than that of the T6 but is still lacking. A software upgrade to the 6.1 will still improve further and make a more pleasurable drive.
I would definitely get in touch if I was you, if only for a chat. All the staff are great and so enthusiastic about the work they do.
Since having my Cali done it is a complete transformation from stock. No more vibrations or straining in top gear on tick over, smooth move off with no delay which should take the nightmare out of using the levelling ramps. The kick down on an overtake is amazing, instead of reving the nuts off it before the gear changes up, the gear changes at correct point in the torque band,…… I could go on and on. It is an amazing upgrade.
I Can’t recommend Bognor enough. If further work required at any time, Bognor will be my first port of call.
As said previously, for the cost of labour they will reinstate your original software should you have the need to have dsg work done.

I have to thank members on this forum again for all the information and their experiences prior to me going for this upgrade.

Thanks for the update. Sounds good.
Sadly Bristol Transmissions never bothered to contact me so I think a trip to Bognor might be on the cards.

Thanks for the update. Sounds good.
Sadly Bristol Transmissions never bothered to contact me so I think a trip to Bognor might be on the cards.

Hi Shaun, I had mine done at Bognor, can certainly recommend. I made a weekend of it, had the work done on the Friday and stayed at a nearby CCC site for a couple of nights.

TVS + done on my T6.
Reversing more controllable.
Gear selection matches road speed, engine revs in the 1750 to 2000rpm band instead of going down to 1000rpm area in 7th.
7th gear only used at 60+mph.
Not done at Bognor.
Installer reset the DSG to relearn my driving use/style.
Also gained speed limiting action as on a steep downhill with cruise at 70mph it changed down from 7th to 5th and held speed to 72.
Do you now use the sport mode?

Another option that you might consider is to do a VCDS adaption to the DSG gearbox. The DSG gearbox 'learns' your driving habits. So a software adaption will effectively reset the DSG and you will then 'teach it' how you drive.

Like others, I find some of the gear changes questionable and because I bought our Cali when it was 15 months old, then I'm seeing the results of the previous owner.

There are instructions on how the DSG adaption is done with VCDS on the Ross-Tech website. And since I own a VCDS then I have nothing to lose really.

After doing this and seeing if it makes any difference, I will then consider the remap option.
I don’t think the gearbox adapts to individual driving style, but only adapts to “correct” based on internal parameters like clutch wear.

Would you trust a VW software engineer to program a gearbox with a mind of its own?

You can reset the DSG clutch bite point / reset the learning function by:

turn ignition on (do not start the van)
press the accelerator full down & hold for 20 seconds
the gearbox may make a noise
you feel a click through the accelerator pedal.
Start the van and drive normally.

Back