Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 VW 30mm lowering springs ?

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have just had the new VW 30mm lowering springs fitted to my T6.1 Ocean after a lengthy wait for the new revised springs.

It has definitely lowered by 30mm all round but the rear is 30mm lower than the front ( I measured from the centre of the wheel to the underside if the wheel arch) You can see it in the photo - so the van appears to be sloping down to the rear.

Does anyone know if this is correct ? The rear is not particularly loaded, most of our camping stuff is not on board.

I must say the handling around corners is vastly improved, there is just so much less bodyroll. It also doesn't appear to be much more 'crashy' over bumps.

That is correct, someone showed the technical drawings on here previously, the rear has a smaller gap to the wheel arch than the front. If the van is actually level it looks like its sagging at the back.

I’m sure others will be along to explain this properly, but if I recall correctly the measurement from wheel centre to wheel arch is a red herring and is a standard difference. That is, had you measured the distance between the same points before installing the lowering springs you would have observed the same difference.

The difference is perhaps appears more noticeable with the lowered springs.

When setting up the correct way to measure rake (nose down/up) is via a chassis leg to a known horizontal, front to back

Once again. ARB DO NOT, that’s DO NOT affect stiffness, only roll. Any perceived increase in stiffness is imaginary.

Once again. ARB DO NOT, that’s DO NOT affect stiffness, only roll. Any perceived increase in stiffness is imaginary.
Don't know why you brought it up as ARB hadn't been mentioned, but If both wheels on an axle hit the same bump at the same time then stiffness is not affected as bothe ends of the ARB have to move the same amount in the same direction.

However if only one wheel hits a bump that forces one wheel to move vertically the ARB does make a difference as the ARB has to twist, as only one end of the bar moves, the ARB is therefore restricting the travel of the wheel. The thickness of the bar dictates the force needed to twist it. Therefore the ARB DOES affect the stiffness of the suspension.

I have just had the new VW 30mm lowering springs fitted to my T6.1 Ocean after a lengthy wait for the new revised springs.

It has definitely lowered by 30mm all round but the rear is 30mm lower than the front ( I measured from the centre of the wheel to the underside if the wheel arch) You can see it in the photo - so the van appears to be sloping down to the rear.

Does anyone know if this is correct ? The rear is not particularly loaded, most of our camping stuff is not on board.

I must say the handling around corners is vastly improved, there is just so much less bodyroll. It also doesn't appear to be much more 'crashy' over bumps.
The front wheel arch is cut higher than the rear, by design.
Do Not measure from wheel centre to wheel arch, but wheel centre to horizontal body line.

The reason is fairly simple. On standard suspension and wheels, the rear wheel moves up within the arch when the suspension is compressed.
The front, also moves up within the wheel arch when compressed and steering straight ahead BUT if not steering straight ahead but turning the turned wheels could foul the wheel arch, hence the front arches are higher. Remember, it is a van, used to carry heavy loads and the suspension and suspension is a compromise between heavy and light loads capability.

Eg:
79F079F3-048C-41A8-822C-289003862DD0.jpeg

Last edited:
I must admit although I understand it probably is level the stance looks wrong to me.
You haven't even loaded it yet either. I'm sure I have read something about this issue on the T6 Forum.
People have been complaining about a “ sagging rear suspension “ on the T5, 5.1, 6 and now 6.1.

Just looking at the picture that VW use on the configurator - on that it looks like the wheel arch gaps are the same but then there is a distinct downhill slope to the front of all the horizontal lines on the body & the awning. You can compare it on the picture below by scrolling this page up/down so the lines are level with the top of the window its displayed in. Then do the same with the technical drawing above.

1606932334057.png

Just looking at the picture that VW use on the configurator - on that it looks like the wheel arch gaps are the same but then there is a distinct downhill slope to the front of all the horizontal lines on the body & the awning. You can compare it on the picture below by scrolling this page up/down so the lines are level with the top of the window its displayed in. Then do the same with the technical drawing above.

View attachment 70276
Likewise the shadow beneath the vehicle . Vehicle is nose down.

Nowt to be confused about, your van looks right and is as the drawing above, if the wheel arches were level like the VW picture above it looks down at the front.

VB Air Suspension T6 height measurements which have a 5mm front to rear difference with the exception of when in carpark mode.

Measurements are taken from wheel/axle centre. simple reason for this is because that remains constant whichever wheel diameter is fitted from 16" to 20".
It is easier to measure from wheel rim bottom to the arch but the actual distance from wheel centre to rim edge would have to added, no it's not as simple as adding the diameter as that doesn't include the rim lip that retains the tyre.

Mode---- Front - Rear
Std ---------440---- 445
Sport----- 415 ----- 420
Offroad ----470--- 475
Carpark----380-- - 355

all in mm's. and on a level surface.

was all nicely spaced out prior to hitting post key!

Last edited:
When I measured the before and after, the difference was -40mm on the front and -20mm at the rear.

Roads must be smooth run around by you. I have a bump by me that has me out of the seat. Mine is booked in for B14 Comforts and I hope this sorts the ride out at the front.

@Rowls1958
I see you are local to me Rowls (i'm in Newport) who did you use to fit the new springs?

Sinclairs Cardiff........

Thanks. They wern't interested when I was looking to buy a Cali so i'd sort of ruled them out for servicing or other work. Would you recommend them?

Absolutely not, bunch of clowns ! There was a nice sales guy called Darryl when I looked to buy in January but their discount was rubbish - not his fault ! He's now left.

I mistakenly thought I'd give them a go with some warranty work and the lowering springs. They had the van 2 weeks and I had to constantly chase them. When I picked it up last Friday there was damage to the rear bumper, nearly one week on still trying to talk to the service manager although promised he'd ring me on Tuesday. Apparently he's "too busy" to call me. Absolutely fuming, if he doesn't talk to me tomorrow I will get straight onto the MD and if no joy, straight to the small claims court. I'm not pi**ing about with idiots like this. They are arrogant, rude and treat you with contempt. Probably not that unusual for many VW dealers......

Where on earth do they train junior members of staff, to tell you a manager is 'too busy' to contact you is litetally unbelievable !!! Too busy ??? I'm f*****g busy, we are all busy, don't tell me someone in your company is 'too busy' to ring me when promised - twice.... Sorry, really sends me over the edge a bit !!!!+

Absolutely not, bunch of clowns ! There was a nice sales guy called Darryl when I looked to buy in January but their discount was rubbish - not his fault ! He's now left.

I mistakenly thought I'd give them a go with some warranty work and the lowering springs. They had the van 2 weeks and I had to constantly chase them. When I picked it up last Friday there was damage to the rear bumper, nearly one week on still trying to talk to the service manager although promised he'd ring me on Tuesday. Apparently he's "too busy" to call me. Absolutely fuming, if he doesn't talk to me tomorrow I will get straight onto the MD and if no joy, straight to the small claims court. I'm not pi**ing about with idiots like this. They are arrogant, rude and treat you with contempt. Probably not that unusual for many VW dealers......

Actually as VW dealers go if they've only damaged one bumper despite having for two weeks you've got off lightly. Its normally considered a good result if it comes back with less broken than fixed.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like my first impressions of them when they couldn't be assed to talk to me about a £70k purchase wasn't far wrong then.
I think I will be looking at Hereford for my servicing instead.

Where on earth do they train junior members of staff, to tell you a manager is 'too busy' to contact you is litetally unbelievable !!! Too busy ??? I'm f*****g busy, we are all busy, don't tell me someone in your company is 'too busy' to ring me when promised - twice.... Sorry, really sends me over the edge a bit !!!!+

Try some constructive Criticism on the dealers Twitter:

E1E2C256-1D3C-4D53-A46D-21F7ECEF842A.png