Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 150PS - cooling fan running on after a drive - does yours?

hirsty

hirsty

Two Seat Beach DSG
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Nothing to worry about I'm sure, but I thought I'd ask if anyone / everyone else is the same? Now that the weather has turned a bit warmer I've noticed that the cooling fan on my new T6 is running-on for five minutes or so after each run now - and it makes a lot of noise!

All is normal on the water temp dash gauge and the oil temp display on the MFD, no leaks or fluid loss etc. Still taking it fairly easy at c.1,500 miles, the manual says to go steady up to 1,000 miles & yesterday we were playing the economy run game (41mpg) going low revs at 50-ish on empty roads.

I don't remember my '09 T5 fan staying on even once in 35'C+ temps or thrashing around in the Alps, does your van do the same please?

Ours does the same. Makes a real racket!
Not on every journey though, seems to be the shorter trips. Didn't get it last night for instance after returning from Cornwall, which is just as well as it would have woken the neighbours!
As you say there appears to be no other indication of a problem.
We've done just over 4K in ours now and my wife does regular longish journeys to work which we have always figured would sort out the DPF (always seemed to on our old SE).

Definitely a cooling thing, not DPF. As an aside, when I had my T5 chipped at Pendle Perfomance he recommended that on each journey you should rev it up to 4K rpm once warm - however briefly - just to blow through the junk.

T6 cooling fan sounds like a Harrier jump jet though! It kept running after the engine was switched off after both a longer run up the A1 on Weds and short hop 12-miles into the countryside yesterday. Interested in whether it's common?

Definitely a cooling thing, not DPF. As an aside, when I had my T5 chipped at Pendle Perfomance he recommended that on each journey you should rev it up to 4K rpm once warm - however briefly - just to blow through the junk.

T6 cooling fan sounds like a Harrier jump jet though! It kept running after the engine was switched off after both a longer run up the A1 on Weds and short hop 12-miles into the countryside yesterday. Interested in whether it's common?
Happens to ours too. Not too fussed about it (other than the noise!).

Lots of vehicles do that to cool the rad once stopped. Perfectly normal.

Alan

Our 204PS does it too. First time I thought we had cleared for take off. :)

I don't think revving to 4000 will clear the dpf, sounds like some poor advice. It purposely goes on a regen cycle. The dpf also traps the junk so may speed up the build up.

Mine does the same, not on every journey though. First time it did it I'd just parked in my underground garage, got 10 steps away and then it started, I thought that the whole garage was imploding! :eek:

I don't think revving to 4000 will clear the dpf, sounds like some poor advice. It purposely goes on a regen cycle. The dpf also traps the junk so may speed up the build up.
The worst thing for the DPF is short journeys and low engine revs.

Mine does it regularly too, I get a bit burning smell as well. It seems to be on shorter journey's, I'm hoping its just cause it's new (400 miles now) but like Quinnster77 said I'm not looking forward to it happening on a campsite at night!

After 1 year driving my T6 4motion as everyday vehicle I never had the fan running after a trip , however the DPF many times..

One week old and my beach started this noise tonight after pulling up on the drive . First time that I have heard this , even the wife noticed and said what the bloody hell is going on with that !!! And for the mrs to pick up on a noise from a vehicle means that it isnt something that is normal , I must say I haven't heard anything like that ever from another vehicle ! This can't be normal can it ????
If this is standard then what the hell !!!!!
Not happy !

Ours does it too, I agree it is loud but you do get used to it, these are vans at end of the day, we all gave up refinement to have a Campervan.

Just had my van serviced after 1 year - one of the 'quality improvements' was to alter this behaviour as apparently they are too sensitive to the heat. They said it will still do it, just not quite as much.

There were a few other bit too including a fuel pipe and a fuse under the drivers seat, nothing major though.

Mine did it a lot whilst new and breaking in but improved and only now when dpf is regerating. Short journeys can cause regen more often.

Ours does it too, I agree it is loud but you do get used to it, these are vans at end of the day, we all gave up refinement to have a Campervan.[/QUOTE
Refinements! Lol !
I have a T6 4 motion as my works vehicle and that isn't as noisy , maybe as it's got the old faithful Euro 5 under the bonnet!!!
This seems to be only on the new Euro 6 engines then ???
I thought technology is ment to improve???

Short journeys seems to be the killer. Don't use my Cali much for short journeys but been aware of the cooling fan a few times but it has not come on once during the current trip.

Mike

http://mikeandjanes.blogspot.co.uk

As others have said this is normal behaviour and is nothing to worry about.

When ours had the 21G3 and 23U8 campaign "enhancements" this behaviour changed.

It still does it occasionally. The front of the vehicle get's really hot, smell is still there, but the fan speed is much reduced.

It's not as loud and shouldn't make the neighbours dog bark... :thumb

Ours is the same. Sometimes I notice and sometimes I don't. Most times I don't and I am guessing that is because I'm in a car park or something. I only really notice when I pull up at home.

Noticed last week that the idle was up over 1000rpm and when I parked up had the fan noise (not the first time). Seems it's the DPF burn off process. First time I've noticed the idle so will look out for it in future.
A bit annoying as I'd done a 230 mile run 2 days previously and a 180 mile one the day before.

The salesman said to do a 20 mile run in 5th gear once a month when collecting. No comment on that other than no chance.

As I said in this thread 14 months ago ....

DPF regeneration used to be a PITA with the T5. VW have obviously fixed the problem with a short "soot burn" and high heat generation with an accompanied need for fast cooling.

My Beemer used to do the same.

So did my BL montego but that was just the vehicle catching fire :Grin

I had a bit of an experiment with the running the van at over 2000 RPM (as suggested somewhere on a forum) the other week. Where I live I can't drive the van fast enough to do that often (van speed limit, not MH), so 5th gear is the only option...

After the software update it does t less frequently and seems to be less aggressive too i.e. much quieter

Back