Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Awning Connection

Jason craig

Jason craig

JAS
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I know there is a geek here that can help me a money me a lot of trial and error time I have a new T6 Oean with the VW fitted awning. I have also purchased an Vango Air Beam awning. Does anyone know the best way of connecting the Vango to the camper without removing the factory fitted wind out awning from the van?

Think there are strips ( kador- strips? ) that slide in the awning and other side in the tent....
Must have been said somewhere here.

We sell a kit in the shop, includes kador and fig of 8

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks Wim, I was too lazy to post the he link haha ..

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, looked at that kit but must have missed something. Didn't see how this connects to the van awning

As @snowy55 says, you need to roll the awing out a few inches, this will reveal the awning channel, the Kador slides in here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know there is a geek here that can help me a money me a lot of trial and error time I have a new T6 Oean with the VW fitted awning. I have also purchased an Vango Air Beam awning. Does anyone know the best way of connecting the Vango to the camper without removing the factory fitted wind out awning from the van?
May I ask which awning you found to be the best choice out of the Vango airbeams please?

May I ask which awning you found to be the best choice out of the Vango airbeams please?

I've looked at a few of these in anticipation of needing lots of extra toddler space on stays of more than a night or two. I'm really taken with the new Vango Galli. It's BIG but goes up quickly and runs the full length of the van as opposed being more like a tunnel tent so I was happier with how it would fit on a pitch and also how it might stand up to the weather too.

I've also been looking at the Vango Galli.

The spec in the PDF you can download from the Vango site says :

The AirAway comes fitted with a 6mm kador strip. This can be slid directly into a kador rail on the vehicle but Vango recommends using figure eight strips and an extra kador adaptor (sold separately) to ensure the kador fits snuggly and to provide flexibility when driving the vehicle away whilst the AirAway is pitched.

They are suggesting using a figure of 8 and another kador strip.

What's the downside of just sliding the 6mm kador from the awning straight into the kador slot on the van?

Is the additional figure of 8 just to make driving away easier? Any other upsides? If you weren't planning on driving away I'm guessing you won't need to do this.

The main reason for the fig of 8 is easy disconnection of the awning, if you just use kador on its own it could end up being quite time consuming each time you connect/disconnest the drive away awning.
Also some 6mm kador is too thick to go into the awning channel on the Cali, that why we recommend 4mm

Blondebier, there are a couple of good videos on tube for the Vango Kela 2 attaching to a California, which has the same principle. I watched those several time before buying the Kela. Still to test it out in practice but looks fairly straight forward and do-able even for me on my own with height limitation.

Thanks AlisonF. I've ordered a Vango Galli. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives. :thumb

Blimey that Vango Galli is quite a size ! It claims the packed down size is 78 x 40 x 42 cm and 27kg, which is better than I feared looking at it, although something to keep an eye on when choosing an awning.

Did you order the Driveaway kit as well from vango? Just wondering which size you need? Thanks

Yes - I ordered the Vango Driveaway Kit 4mm to 6mm 3m.

http://www.vango.co.uk/it/awning-kits/494-driveaway-kit-for-4mm-6mm-rails-3m-set.html

Blimey that Vango Galli is quite a size ! It claims the packed down size is 78 x 40 x 42 cm and 27kg, which is better than I feared looking at it, although something to keep an eye on when choosing an awning.

I was also mindful of the size. It seems quite compact in comparison with the others on the market. The outdoor revolution movelite 3 by comparison is 82cm x 55cm x 43cm

should it not be 6mm to 6mm??

Martin's post above said that 6mm is too big for the Cali rail
He said "some 6mm kador is too thick to go into the awning channel on the Cali"

The channel is sized for 6mm but I have found that if the end pieces of the rail are not exactly aligned with the main channel then it can take a bit of wiggling to get 6mm kador in.

There is an alternative way to connect the awning to the van.
The figure of eight will simply slot onto the top edge of the roll out awning if you have one.

This shows the principle. It also raises the drive away awning up and is far easier than threading kador strips. The kador strip method is also shown so you can see the height difference.

He said "some 6mm kador is too thick to go into the awning channel on the Cali"

The channel is sized for 6mm but I have found that if the end pieces of the rail are not exactly aligned with the main channel then it can take a bit of wiggling to get 6mm kador in.

Thanks.

I'd be surprised if the Vango stuff isn't bang on. I've asked for my order to be changed for a 6mm to 6mm kit. (They'll have it back if not.)

I'll let you know how how it measures up. Snuggly I hope!

I've looked at a few of these in anticipation of needing lots of extra toddler space on stays of more than a night or two. I'm really taken with the new Vango Galli. It's BIG but goes up quickly and runs the full length of the van as opposed being more like a tunnel tent so I was happier with how it would fit on a pitch and also how it might stand up to the weather too.
Thanks v much Lewis

Back