Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach cover

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

I have not been long the owner of my T6 Beach and excited about the year ahead, at present I have no garage/shelter. My question is regarding covers which ones people use and your feelings on them, do they tend to scratch/chafe the paint work in windy conditions?

And feedback is much appreciated

James

Hi all,

I have not been long the owner of my T6 Beach and excited about the year ahead, at present I have no garage/shelter. My question is regarding covers which ones people use and your feelings on them, do they tend to scratch/chafe the paint work in windy conditions?

And feedback is much appreciated

James
I presume from your question you don’t plan on using it all year round. Mine hasn’t seen the inside of a garage since I bought it New as it is used all year round. Still in perfect condition washed and waxed regularly. I think the Forum Shop sells a good cover that is lined to prevent that problem, but beware of rodent damage when laid up.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/maypole-vw-t5-t6-california-campervan-cover

Hi
I had a protec one fitted on our t5 Karmann motor home,it was Taylor made for the van and really good fit and quality .no scratch’s because the inside on a protec is made of a soft material.and breathable too
But...
if the vehicle isn’t totally spotless before you fit it then you run the risk of there being grit dust or road dirt being rubbed between the vans paintwork and the material for the amount of time it’s fitted .on a windy day that’s like sandpaper constantly rubbing against your paint...
I wouldn’t bother fitting one to a California if it was me it’s a get in and go van.
.unless it’s parked under a tree that covers everything with sapp as mhome was..
There good but a pain in the arse as well. :)

Thanks for your reply’s, maybe I’ll give it a miss :thumb

I had a pearlescent black Cali until last year which I kept outside but under a cover. (The club shop sell the very same Maypole covers). If it wasn't under cover the birds would use it for bombing practice. Being black it showed every mark so I too was apprehensive at first regarding the use of any form of cover. I also imagined it would mark the paint work through abrasion however I found the Maypole cover to be excellent in every way.
My only criticism concerns fitting it. If it's windy, forget it.
You can just chuck the cover on top and then pull it about until things come right but I found that system didn't work very well in practice. Fitting it on your own has to be a disciplined affair. The first time you fit it, find a large expanse of clean floor space e.g sitting room floor and open it up so that the outside surface is upper most. The end with the three adjustable straps is the rear of the vehicle. Roll each side into the middle so that you end up with a long sausage (running front to back) with the inside surface showing. Then fold the sausage up remembering which end is the rear (the end with three adjustable straps). Then carry it out and plonk the bundle on the Cali roof. For this you will need a set of sturdy steps. Once on the roof unroll the bundle firstly towards the front and rear and finally down each side. Then adjust the cover so it is central on the van and then do up the straps that pass under the vehicle. There are three buckles on the bottom edge of each side of the van cover and three separate straps which connect them with their partner on the other side. To fit, just bundle up the long strap into a ball having first connected it to the buckle and hurl it beneath the vehicle towards the buckle on the other side and you should find it will be easy to reach from the other side. Once attached tighten to remove any slack. Then do the same with the other two straps. Next tighten the three rear straps to a snug fit. Note: The cover is designed to fit over a bike rack if fitted.
Fold and remove the cover in the reverse manner and pack away in its bag. It will then be ready to fit next time. If used correctly they are superb at keeping a clean van protected from bird lime, tree sap and dust etc.

Note:
1. It is better to fold the mirrors in before fitting.
2. Ensure that before you attempt to either fit or remove the cover, that the three under van hard plastic securing buckles on either side of the cover (for the above mentioned securing straps) are folded away inside the protective pockets. If they aren't you might scratch the paintwork.
3. Only fit a cover to a spotlessly clean van otherwise any dirt will scratch the paint.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Borris that's a great help

I had a pearlescent black Cali until last year which I kept outside but under a cover. (The club shop sell the very same Maypole covers). If it wasn't under cover the birds would use it for bombing practice. Being black it showed every mark so I too was apprehensive at first regarding the use of any form of cover. I also imagined it would mark the paint work through abrasion however I found the Maypole cover to be excellent in every way.
My only criticism concerns fitting it. If it's windy, forget it.
You can just chuck the cover on top and then pull it about until things come right but I found that system didn't work very well in practice. Fitting it on your own has to be a disciplined affair. The first time you fit it, find a large expanse of clean floor space e.g sitting room floor and open it up so that the outside surface is upper most. The end with the three adjustable straps is the rear of the vehicle. Roll each side into the middle so that you end up with a long sausage (running front to back) with the inside surface showing. Then fold the sausage up remembering which end is the rear (the end with three adjustable straps). Then carry it out and plonk the bundle on the Cali roof. For this you will need a set of sturdy steps. Once on the roof unroll the bundle firstly towards the front and rear and finally down each side. Then adjust the cover so it is central on the van and then do up the straps that pass under the vehicle. There are three buckles on the bottom edge of each side of the van cover and three separate straps which connect them with their partner on the other side. To fit, just bundle up the long strap into a ball having first connected it to the buckle and hurl it beneath the vehicle towards the buckle on the other side and you should find it will be easy to reach from the other side. Once attached tighten to remove any slack. Then do the same with the other two straps. Next tighten the three rear straps to a snug fit. Note: The cover is designed to fit over a bike rack if fitted.
Fold and remove the cover in the reverse manner and pack away in its bag. It will then be ready to fit next time. If used correctly they are superb at keeping a clean van protected from bird lime, tree sap and dust etc.

Note:
1. It is better to fold the mirrors in before fitting.
2. Ensure that before you attempt to either fit or remove the cover, that the three under van hard plastic securing buckles on either side of the cover (for the above mentioned securing straps) are folded away inside the protective pockets. If they aren't you might scratch the paintwork.
3. Only fit a cover to a spotlessly clean van otherwise any dirt will scratch the paint.
Is the cover large enough to fit over a bike rack.

Back