Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach low bed height

G

Gera

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi Everybody

I bought a T6, California Beach and experience next issue.

When I make a low bed, the seats are go to upper position. After placing a mattress the height of the bed became at the level approx. for the level of windows. The problem is that having a roof in standard position the space between bed and celling is not enough.

Just like on the film

Another disappointment was finding that instead of pretty big storage place in the rear seat rows (under the seats, my father have a T5 - Ocean version) there are 3 very small containers. Normally it is perfect place to storage bedclothes.

But the way rear seats in Ocean lays, is different. It is only backrest goes down, not whole seat bed goest up, and than makes it flat.

Did anybody saw any aftermarket ready to install solutions ? In case if I will make a decision to make such modifications, can you recommend anybody with enough experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gera. I don't think there is much you can do about that, other than swapping out the whole rear interior for a two-seat Beach setup, which would be crazy money.

I have a two-seat bench Beach (rather than the three-seat bench in the video) and my seat / bed is at a lower height than that when folded. There are many many posts here about Beach two-seat vs three-seat, but it is difficult to visualise without seeing both:

- One of the complaints about the two-seat bench is that the Multi Function Board behind the bench is too low to get things underneath it, but the consequence is a lower bed height

- Drawers again are a personal preference, it works better for us with one wider drawer, but if it were more of an MPV then I'm sure three individual drawers could be better

- Lots of people seem to sleep upstairs (if there are just two of them) and leave downstairs in lounge-mode?

- We use Duvalays to sleep on, which is a combined foam mattress & duvet, rather than the mattress shown at 1.45 in the clip

All campers are a compromise, but I think this one in particular is a classic case of "swings and roundabouts".

Dear Hirsty,

Thanks for your time and opinion.

2 seat bench looks like option I will use in case if I will be able to do anything with that.

After searching web, it seems so far, that only custom modifications will be the option.

2 bench option is perfect. It is lower and we don't even use any mattress on it, because it is perfectly flat.
Just a sheet to cover it.

Guys,

Could you please share some pics in upright and bed position for 2 bench solution.... And what about 3-rd seat ? How it is done ? Or you put just as third - the second raw seat ?

Last but not least - what about mattress shelf ? Did you changed it ?

Thanks for attention and your advise...

Below images of 2 positions.
- I am not carrying the mattress from the rear bench, because it holds the boxes.
- Using the small mat from the side storage box on a rear board, that gives enough length for sleeping and leaves space for some boxes on a bench.
-In some extreme cases when there are too many things on the rear board and have to sleep below, I extend the bed by putting some boxes between the unfolded bench and front seats.

XbxovO4.jpg
3Mz2wE4.png

Last edited:
Dear Sp0_0k

Thank you so much for your photo.

Seems like this is the way I will go...

Just 2 questions

1. Who modified rear shelf ? Can you share the contacts ? (I will consider a purchase from someone with expirience)

2. Regarding the shelf behind the driver - I will appreciate for contacts as good.

Thanks your post and pics is really helpful.

Mine looks the same as Spooks, in real life it's longer than it looks above IMO & we sleep on it it just like that - I find the length fine & the width is fantastic for two people compared to squeezing up against a kitchen.

I think the rear board on a two-seat Beach is lower than the board in a three-seat version as standard (to match the bench) & that one has not been modified.

I find the length fine & the width is fantastic for two people compared to squeezing up against a kitchen.

Of course, it does depend how large you are.:Grin

1. Who modified rear shelf ? Can you share the contacts ? (I will consider a purchase from someone with expirience)
If you mean the rear board I've made a new one from the plywood because needed to shorten it a bit.
Also carpeted it so boxes slide nice and can sleep on it as well ;)