Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach seven seat downstairs waterproof mattress cover

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Mrs B and I have just spent five lovely days in our new T6 Beach touring glorious Derbyshire. During our holiday we visited Nick at Comfortz Leisure in Bolsover. Nick had previously agreed to make for us a waterproof mattress cover for the VW Comfort mattress that covers the three seater bench seat when in bed mode.
image.jpeg
You will note that we also have Inka waterproof seat covers, also supplied by Comfortz Leisure. They are essential with our sticky little crew.

According to the vehicle hand book there are three different bed lengths available on a seven seat Beach. Following discussions with Nick we both made the assumption that the majority of owners would adopt the medium length option. In this mode you have a very large double bed but also have ample space left behind the front seats to stand in to get ready for bed etc. In this mode the middle row, the two very heavy swivel captains seats if fitted, are removed and the vehicle is being used as a five seater.
image.jpeg
The VW Mattress, which I think is supplied as a optional extra, consists of six transversely laid slabs of foam. Some are sculptured to level out the undulations in the seat contours and the whole thing is wrapped in and joined together by a dark grey materiel cover. The complete mattress is made up in several parts to enable the owner to configure the mattress in the different bed lengths. To do this there are built in zips to enable the mattress to be reconfigured as required. I am probably not describing this very well so to get a better idea of how the whole thing works please see California Chris's Youtube demonstration video on the "New T6 Beach seating options". Sorry, I tried to do a link but failed miserably.

Anyway Nick has now made us a waterproof two piece cover for the medium bed length option. The two mattress sections are joined together with twin 50mm velcro tapes.
image.jpeg
Each of the velcro tapes serves a different purpose. The further one in this photo joins the two sections together as a close fit when in bed mode. The nearer velcro strip allows sufficient slack in the waterproof cover to enable the two parts to be folded to stow away on top of the multiflex board. In practice I don't use the second velcro and just stow the two halves unjoined. The advantage of the velcro strips are that it enables the two mattress halves to be joined together quickly without having to fiddle around with those zips.
image.jpeg
Before I first slept on the downstairs bench with the VW Comfort mattress I fully expected it to be an uncomfortable lumpy bumpy affair. However in practice it has proved to be a very comfortable bed albeit a little on the firm side at first. We soon got used to it though.

If you have a busy outdoor adventurous life then one of these wipe clean mattress covers will help you keep your van clean. Just think wet muddy kids and dog and need I say more. Now that Nick has a pattern, you should be able to order one of these excellent covers from Comfortz Leisure.

Once again another example of the superb and super quick service from Comfortz Leisure. Many thanks to Nick and all at Comfortz.

Alas, back home now and "Bluebell" has been converted back to school bus mode.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Borris, I've just swapped in my Ocean for a Beach as expecting our third child in early December and am just learning all about the vast differences between the two vehicles!

Thanks for the information Borris, I've just swapped in my Ocean for a Beach as expecting our third child in early December and am just learning all about the vast differences between the two vehicles!
Hearty congratulations on the forthcoming arrival of number three and or course your new Beach.

These two vehicles are like chalk and cheese. We've had and thoroughly enjoyed both versions. Neither version is better than the other, just designed for completely different user needs. We are now on our second Beach and are still marveling at it's supreme versatility. It has to be the ultimate multi purpose family utility/camper van. I have no doubt you will find that you have made the right decision for your growing family.

We have four children, all now grown up with their own children. When they were young we had to bolt a series of baby/child seats to the vehicle chassis as best as we could. Most people didn't bother. It now makes me shudder to think of children travelling in cars unrestrained but that was the norm then. We eventually ended up with seven seater Peugeot 505 estate cars. However, today vehicle design and child safety has improved a lot and we have the glorious Beach to kart our eight grand kids around in. :thumb

Good luck.