Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike Rack - Advice / Help

Seamelody

Seamelody

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Doris is a T6 and was supplied with the bike rack fitted, I've located the keys and tool for fitting ( Which I will not tamper with ) but would welcome some advice on how to securely fit out two mountain bikes, spent an hour in the rain but nothing seamed obvious. Wondering now if the four bars are not fitted correctly, can someone point me in the directions of "how to use " instructions or a video ... tried u-tube without any luck !

It should be obvious how to fit, so either you are missing something obvious or something is wrong that is not obviously wrong.

1. Pull the rack into the horizontal position. It might be locked into the vertical position with the shortest arm, so first make sure that is unlocked.

2. There should be three single headed arms and one double headed arm located on the top bar of the rack, close to the rear of the van.

3. For loading two bikes, push up the short arm and the medium arm to about 30 degrees above the horizontal; leaving the long arm and the double headed arm dangling vertically.

4. Load bike 1 onto the rail closest to the van, secure the wheels to the chocks with the straps and secure the crossbar with the short arm, sliding the short arm along the top bar if necessary.

5. Load bike 2 onto the rail second closest to the van facing the opposite way to bike 1. Secure the wheels and secure the medium arm to the crossbar.

Significant adjustments to the position of the arms might be required on first use, but once positioned correctly loading and unloading bikes is a doddle.

Arms can be completely removed and repositioned by opening the jaws and squeezing them closed while pulling on the arm. The plastic end secured to the rack will come off the arm (eventually) and the plastic end can then be repositioned and the arm reassembled in a new position.

Let us know how far along the stages 1-5 above you progress.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks - raining even harder now so will check out again once we have a dry day - much appreciated

If fitted from new, one thing that may confuse and certainly got me is that the bars to hold the bikes in place came clamped the wrong way around.

I ended up finding some pics of a rack in use before it became obvious.

If fitted from new, one thing that may confuse and certainly got me is that the bars to hold the bikes in place came clamped the wrong way around.
Ah-ha - something that is wrong which is not obviously wrong.

OP - the arm clamps go on the crossbar, not the top tube of the rack.

Unclamp the arms and remove the plastic ends with the hole through them. Put these on the top bar and refit the arms.

All will then be obvious.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu