Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike rack choice

BigMan

BigMan

Hi Everyone,

My T6 Cali is due for delivery on three weeks and I want to get a bike rack, like many I feel the VW T6 is very ugly, I have seen quite a few on the road now and it really does not float my boat!

Anyyway, I have been looking at other options and come across the Fiamma T6 one? I like the look of this (and the price) But I am unable to find any reviews on it? https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/bike-racks

Also luckily I specced tow bar on my Cali so a Thule option is also a contender.

Pro's and cons of the above please?

Thanks

Well, sorry cannot help you. I use an Altera tow bar rack as I want to :-
1. Be able to open the Tailgate
2. I want to remain below 2m vehicle height.

As BigMan says, there's nothing about these racks yet, because they are new and in the case of the T6 model, not even available until later this month. They do look quite neat, but are they just for two bikes? It looks like it, but the descriptions say four.

Looking forwards to seeing a pic of one of these attached to the T6. Might be a popular alternative now that the old style VW rack isn't available in the U.K.

2. I want to remain below 2m vehicle height.
This piqued my interest...

We plan to take two Bromptons and toy bikes for the boys.

I had always planned to fully fold the Bromptons, put them in carry bags and transport them on the bike carrier, probably end to end, and keep below 2m, but I have wondered how to lock them to the carrier.

Such was my piquedness that I have just ventured out in the rain to my bike stable to test. The handlebars can be folded and the seat dropped right down, without the other two folds. Bromptons should be able to be mounted on the T6 bike rack side by side and still keep the van under 2m. Oddly, I could not find any photos of this partial Brompton fold on the web.

Now I just need to work out how to protect them from the elements; how I lock them to the rack is now obvious.

Such was my piquedness that I have just ventured out in the rain to my bike stable to test. The handlebars can be folded and the seat dropped right down, without the other two folds. Bromptons should be able to be mounted on the T6 bike rack side by side and still keep the van under 2m. Oddly, I could not find any photos of this partial Brompton fold on the web.
Given that I could not find any photos of Bromptons folded in "low mode", I though I should take a picture so that people unfamiliar with the bike can understand what I am talking about:

IMG_2273 (2).JPG

Uebler primavelo does a bike rack for T6. 2/4 bikes.

We had a Fiamma Carry-Bike for our T4 and I liked it a lot, particularly the <2m height with bikes.

Our T6 has yet to arrive but I have bought a Thule Raceway after another club member had a good experience with one:

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks/thule-raceway-2-_-991001

It ticked all of my boxes:
  1. <2m with bikes
  2. Quick to remove / collapse
  3. Cheaper than VW full rack (it's £280)
  4. Carry 3 bikes
The only slight issue I can see it the chrome strip on the bottom of the tailgate (we've ordered the chrome pack) is a little on the thick side for the bottom clamps. I may need to open out the angle of the clips to allow the bottom straps to grab properly. Will report back at the end of March....

Similar to the Dahon folding city bicycles.
Yes - but I think that the Brompton fold is far more elegant than the Dahon.
dahon_vs_brompton_fold.jpg