Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike rack crosswind

John K

John K

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Anybody else had an issue with the bike rack dropping on it’s own in crosswinds?
Returning to Calais today and happened twice, 120-130kph with a 20mph crosswind.

Yes me at the weekend. I've put a bungy around mine.

If you try and use the short tie on the top bar the clips don’t sit properly, but while waiting in the ferry queue i’ve attached the short tie to one of the top edges of the bike rail, which hopefully stops this happening.
Having said that it’s never happened before at similar speeds, so must be the combination of crosswind that did it!

It's probably the partial vacuum behind the van at high speeds that pulls it down. Not cross wind. Mine used to do it at high speeds. I haven't got one now. No scaffolding on my van. Looks better without it. Coat at the ready

Am i missing something, I have to tie mine up anyway, it came with one of the wheel ties holding it up in place. Only fit mine when carrrying the bikes...easy to take off/remove 1 person two bolts, simples..

image.jpg

I’ll let you know if this works!
I use bikes often enough that I want to leave the rack on, it also a useful drying rack!

P.S. we don't attach them as a figure of eight just straight round the top.

I use the two straps on the end rack, when folded up fasten with them to the top bar. Never come loose yet in nearly 6 years of doing it!
It is on a T5 so might be different for the t6 rack.

disagree. it's my real legs that need that

I believe your problem it that you have the supporting clips in the wrong place. It happened to me. Be sure that the clips grab the fattest part of the bike rack, not the smaller diameter part. Since learning this, I've not had an accidental fall of the rack.

Also the adjustable bikewheel holders need to be in a correct position! Once the rack opened you adapt them to the bicycle wheels when mounted to fix but they need to be moved for closing. First three positions, holders to the center and to the outside for the fourth, I believe. Then the clamp has good grip and never falls down!

Also the adjustable bikewheel holders need to be in a correct position! Once the rack opened you adapt them to the bicycle wheels when mounted to fix but they need to be moved for closing. First three positions, holders to the center and to the outside for the fourth, I believe. Then the clamp has good grip and never falls down!
I always move the wheel holders to the ends.

I have a child's bike on the forth rail, it won't fit with the wheel holders facing out so I have swapped then round. It works fine.
IMG_2909.JPG

I always move the wheel holders to the ends.

I have a child's bike on the forth rail, it won't fit with the wheel holders facing out so I have swapped then round. It works fine.
View attachment 48982
I see the difference. Mine is a Fiamma T5 Pro. The clips are on the vertical bars and moveable up and down, which can lead to snapping them to the wrong part of the folded rack. I've had 5 people and nine bikes in my van, 5 bikes inside with the 3 seater bench moved forward, and 4 more on the rack. Made getting to La Rioja for a 9 day bike tour with 9 people and only two vehicles possible, at a great savings in fuel and tolls. Incredible flexibility is the strong point of the Beach.

So my 2019, with presumably the latest rack, is also doing this on the motorways during windy conditions . Was in the dealer this week and ask them to cast an eye over it whilst working on the van.
Interestingly they told me the racks used to come with a strap to stop this?! Also said they tightened up the pivot bolts for me, but they recommend using a strap! What amused me is that they formally added this (somewhat crappy) workaround to the invoice!
2020-01-21 11.49.52.jpg