Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike Rack Instructions

Bill R

Bill R

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The Rack was fitted on the new Cali - no Instructions and, not unexpectedly it seems too difficult for the Dealer to get me a copy.
I know the use of the rack is not exactly difficult to work out but does anyone have a PDF file to add to the Downloads section for the T6 Rack please ?
Many thanks

If you are really struggling bill I can photograph each page but to be honest its not much more help than figuring it out yourself.
Anything in particular troubling you?
I did already photograph this page for my own reference.Bike rack info.JPG

If you are really struggling bill I can photograph each page but to be honest its not much more help than figuring it out yourself.
I did already photograph this page for my own reference.View attachment 29628
Hey thank you !
I don't want you to go to all the faff of doing that. I've already removed it and put it back on and carried a bike on it so it was just a case of checking there wasn't something that wasn't obvious - " you don't know what you don't know" without the instructions after all
:thanks

I dont think you'll be missing much then.
So long as you have sussed out how to operate the 4 clamps that secure the bikes for movement and locking you have pretty much got it covered.
However the manual does warn to be careful positioning them when the rack is in the closed position as they could clash with the rear wiper arm.
The wheel chocks slide in the rails to desired position by squeezing them and the rails for the 1st three bikes can be moved left and right to suit the geometry of the bikes by using the plastic fly nuts but the 4th one can't.
To close the rack making sure its secure and prevent it coming unclosed when driving, you have to be sure the wheel chocks are positioned right at the ends of the rails against the plastic ends.
Finally there are measurements for where to put replacement protective stickers but I guess you'll see that when you remove the old ons.

I dont think you'll be missing much then.
So long as you have sussed out how to operate the 4 clamps that secure the bikes for movement and locking you have pretty much got it covered.
However the manual does warn to be careful positioning them when the rack is in the closed position as they could clash with the rear wiper arm.
The wheel chocks slide in the rails to desired position by squeezing them and the rails for the 1st three bikes can be moved left and right to suit the geometry of the bikes by using the plastic fly nuts but the 4th one can't.
To close the rack making sure its secure and prevent it coming unclosed when driving, you have to be sure the wheel chocks are positioned right at the ends of the rails against the plastic ends.
Finally there are measurements for where to put replacement protective stickers but I guess you'll see that when you remove the old ons.
Brilliant, thanks again. Who needs Instructions ?
:cheers

One useful tip, in case it's not obvious, is that you can remove an arm by loosening the clamp and then pulling the arm away from the rack. Handy if you go to load the 3rd bike and realise the arm is hidden behind two bikes,

One useful tip, in case it's not obvious, is that you can remove an arm by loosening the clamp and then pulling the arm away from the rack. Handy if you go to load the 3rd bike and realise the arm is hidden behind two bikes,
Thanks Stuart :thumb

The bike rack was already installed when we collected the van in November last year.

The tool to open the special screws did not come with the van and it took the dealer some time to organize it. I collected it last Saturday.

What I found in the envelope was a kind of "torque wrench" or "torque key". Instead of the silver in the middle it is black plastic.

Now there is a lot I am wondering about getting the bike rack back on the van:

holding the bike rack, how can I see where to hook it in at the top? It is so high up I have to use a ladder, but if I use a ladder I can't hold the bike rack....?

How does the "torque key" suppose to work? When I opened the screws I was surprised that they were not more tide. I easily were able to open the screws.

Any info is appreciated. I am sure I could figure out a lot, but I am afraid that I will do some damage to the van in the process.... :(

Thank you.
Eberhard

21002_0NS_4386_1500x1500_285010d0.jpg

The bike rack was already installed when we collected the van in November last year.

The tool to open the special screws did not come with the van and it took the dealer some time to organize it. I collected it last Saturday.

What I found in the envelope was a kind of "torque wrench" or "torque key". Instead of the silver in the middle it is black plastic.

holding the bike rack, how can I see where to hook it in at the top? It is so high up I have to use a ladder, but if I use a ladder I can't hold the bike rack....?

How does the "torque key" suppose to work? When I opened the screws I was surprised that they were not more tide. I easily were able to open the screws.

Any info is appreciated. I am sure I could figure out a lot, but I am afraid that I will do some damage to the van in the process.... :(

Thank you.
Eberhard

I took the rack off on my own and could possibly have put it back on single handed too but just had someone to take some of the weight whilst hooking it on.
You first have to hook it over the top lip of the tailgate with it slightly open, then lower the bottom of the rack so the 2 brackets hook over the side edges.
You then just use that tool to tighten the 2 screws and that's it.
The 4 contact points should have a transparent tape on the paintwork to protect it, so it should be obvious where to hook it on.
Like I said, it's probably just the weight which would stop you doing it alone but taking it off us easy
Hope that makes sense !

Yeah, I haven't fitted mine yet but...
Clearly better/easier with 2 people.
The brackets at the top of the 2 arms will hook over the tail gate and I assume you have protective film in the right places on the tail gate top and bottom?
If you don't have this you can buy it but if you do have it then you can align the rack properly on the film.
I guess the bottom brackets will just fall into place if the top is right and they are loose enough to juggle.

The torque wrench indicates the desired torque or tightmess when the twist in the shaft has reched a point where the pointer lines up with the mark on the plastic bit. Over tightening will stretch or worse still snap the bolts.
Go steady...

Thank you for the information.

Well, I will give it ago. I just was wondering about the tool. Sometimes things seems more complicated than nessecary.

But, certainly not today, we got one snow shower after the next. :(

Eberhard

I received the plastic protective film pack today, just looking through it....
The main page has four cut outs on it, two larger rectangular peices, and two smaller hockey stick sized peices, which go where?
There is also a Lone Ranger small rectangular peice?? and another piece with some small arrows on it?
Guidance appreciated.

Quasimodo instructions remember an overhang on them to wrap over the edges.
IMG_4521.JPG

It depends on your own skill.
I spent 20 years needing to get the correct torque on bolts in my day job and you do get a feel for things.
You dont need 20 years to get a feel for things either, 6nm is not a lot to be honest (you are in pushbike component range like doing up a saddle). So you could guess it.
If you consider not damaging the tailgate, not striping the bolt thread and it not coming loose again you should be OK.
But the torque wrench that comes with it is nothing fancy, it just has a plastic indicator on it that lines up once the shaft of the tool has twisted under the force of 6nm.

It depends on your own skill.
I spent 20 years needing to get the correct torque on bolts in my day job and you do get a feel for things.
You dont need 20 years to get a feel for things either, 6nm is not a lot to be honest (you are in pushbike component range like doing up a saddle). So you could guess it.
If you consider not damaging the tailgate, not striping the bolt thread and it not coming loose again you should be OK.
But the torque wrench that comes with it is nothing fancy, it just has a plastic indicator on it that lines up once the shaft of the tool has twisted under the force of 6nm.
Thanks 2020freedom for the quick reply.
Do you know whether such a key can be bought?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Thank you.
Eberhard

Would anyone happen to have a link for the VW T6 bike rack torx key, I've misplace mine

I did already photograph this page for my own reference.View attachment 29628
Hi, this is the car I recently bought... Am I missing a bracket for the fourth bike, or am I being stupid? I need to come to a club meeting so I can learn some basic skills!

IMG_20190711_212626.jpg

Hi, this is the car I recently bought... Am I missing a bracket for the fourth bike, or am I being stupid? I need to come to a club meeting so I can learn some basic skills!

View attachment 47411
The 4th bracket is a stand-alone clamp that clamps bike 3 to bike 4, I believe.

DC2162FA-4BD5-467D-8B41-00486BF942C0.jpeg

Ah thanks, I'm guessing I can buy this from vw for about £50?!

Ah thanks, I'm guessing I can buy this from vw for about £50?!
Nearer £70 + .Try the Forum Shop, Phone them, but as you’re not a VIP no discount.