Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 BIKE RACK QUESTIONS

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'd be very grateful for some info regarding the T6 bike rack.

1.How long are the channels that the bike wheels stand in? (My bike has a longer wheelbase).

2. Is it best to go with the VW rack, or are other makes better? Fiamma/Thule??

3. The van is nearly 5 metres long and the ferry I use frequently has a max length of 5 metres. Does the bike rack (folded) stick out enough to make the van over 5 metres?

4. If the rack does stick out too far, can it easily be removed for the ferry crossing and re-fitted the other side?

5. If decent 'fitted' racks are not going to work, has anyone tried a strap-on rack?

I'd be very grateful for some info regarding the T6 bike rack.

1.How long are the channels that the bike wheels stand in? (My bike has a longer wheelbase).

3. The van is nearly 5 metres long and the ferry I use frequently has a max length of 5 metres. Does the bike rack (folded) stick out enough to make the van over 5 metres?

4. If the rack does stick out too far, can it easily be removed for the ferry crossing and re-fitted the other side?

5. If decent 'fitted' racks are not going to work, has anyone tried a strap-on rack?

I can't comment on the VW rack (although I believe it's the same as the Thule model) but I have just sold my T4 Westy and its Fiamma rack, and will probably buy a nearly identical model for my T6.

One of the better 'features' of the Fiamma rack was the ability to pop it on & off with a gentle shove. I'm sure it wasn't designed that way but it worked just fine and made it very easy to remove when not in use.

It also folded up to be almost in line with the back of the van. That said, the T6 is only a shade under 5m so I doubt you'll find a rack that will measure up under that magic mark other than a tow-ball mounted rack.

1. Not sure but my bike's wheelbase is 1193mm and it fits fine.

2. Unless you're going to go for a towbar rack, the T6 rack is regarded as the best. The other option is the less ugly T5 rack but not sure if you can still get these for the T6.

3. I guess it must do, although not at ground level if that makes any difference.

4. Yes, just 2 bolts and it lifts off.

Thanks for replies so far.
- Wheelbase of bike is much longer - tandem! 1560mm with front wheel removed and fork turned backwards. If the wheel channels are long enough, that's great. If not, I will need to look at a 'hang on' rack.
- Hoping to have a tow bar one day but they are horrendously expensive and I will need the removable type to stay under 5 metres.
- The VW or Fiamma racks sound like possibilities if I can remove them for ferry crossings.
- I've heard that rear bike racks are not permitted in Spain.
- I'll have a look to see what Halfords have got in the way of 'strap on' racks. I don't have much hope.

I've heard that rear bike racks are not permitted in Spain.
Think it is the strap on ones. I have the vw rear rack and travelled through Spain ok . I also used the red and white warning sign on the back.

I've just been looking at the Fiamma rack on the Just Kamper site. It's a whole lot less expensive than the genuine VW one but it doesn't say if it fits the T6. It does look like it folds tightly against the tailgate so I might get away with it.
Does anyone have one of these? How far does it overlap the rear bumper when folded?

Thanks for replies so far.
- Wheelbase of bike is much longer - tandem! 1560mm with front wheel removed and fork turned backwards. If the wheel channels are long enough, that's great. If not, I will need to look at a 'hang on' rack.
- Hoping to have a tow bar one day but they are horrendously expensive and I will need the removable type to stay under 5 metres.
- The VW or Fiamma racks sound like possibilities if I can remove them for ferry crossings.
- I've heard that rear bike racks are not permitted in Spain.
- I'll have a look to see what Halfords have got in the way of 'strap on' racks. I don't have much hope.

I think you will seriously struggle to get a tandem on the T6 rack, or the Fiamma, for that matter. My touring bike takes it close to the max. Plus they are designed to have the front wheel on, unless you can work out a way of securing the fork drop outs to the rail and that will require a modification.

If you do go down the VW rack route, don't have any worries about the 5m issue on ferries. I have been on Eurotunnel and Brittany Ferries with it folded and they didn't question my length.

If I were you, I would look at the various solutions for carrying a tandem as your starting point and then work out how you can apply that to your van. For instance, looks like most tandem carriers go on the roof....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will seriously struggle to get a tandem on the T6 rack, or the Fiamma, for that matter. My touring bike takes it close to the max. Plus they are designed to have the front wheel on, unless you can work out a way of securing the fork drop outs to the rail and that will require a modification.

If you do go down the VW rack route, don't have any worries about the 5m issue on ferries. I have been on Eurotunnel and Brittany Ferries with it folded and they didn't question my length.

If I were you, I would look at the various solutions for carrying a tandem as your starting point and then work out how you can apply that to your van. For instance, looks like most tandem carriers go on the roof....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply.
Tandem has 20" wheels and therefore much smaller than a standard tandem. I can get it into a surf board bag with seat stems and front wheel removed. I just need a way to get it on the van without carrying it inside. I noticed that some people put a bag or box on the bike rack.
Roof carrying is not an option (even without the pot-top roof issue) as it's then too tall for the ferry. Ferry company are very strict about dimensions.

Tandem has 20" wheels and therefore much smaller than a standard tandem.

I expect you will have to hang in on the back.

I'm trying to figure out how to transport our tandem.

The only viable place is on the roof - but how can I get it on and on and off? Mrs C won't be able to help much.

I expect you will have to hang in on the back.

I'm trying to figure out how to transport our tandem.

The only viable place is on the roof - but how can I get it on and on and off? Mrs C won't be able to help much.

This is a problem I have encountered and solved.
There is a tandem lift called the BTS Bike Lift. Basically, it assists the bike from a position alongside the vehicle to upright on the roof rack. It uses a gas lift to take the actually do the lifting, you just push it in the right direction. We used one for many years to load a full-sized touring tandem.
Failing that, there is a roof rack with a sliding section. It slides sideways and hinges down the side of the vehicle. You strap the tandem to it and then lift and slide onto the roof.

On our last T5, we had a Witter tow-bar mounted rack. This was basically an upright tube forked at the top with two horizontal bars sticking out backwards. We found it easy to hang a full sized tandem on the rack with the wheels removed. The wheels also hung on the rack. You do need a tow bar and a trailer light board. This worked well until the ferry company imposed the 5 metre rule.

This is a problem I have encountered and solved.
There is a tandem lift called the BTS Bike Lift. Basically, it assists the bike from a position alongside the vehicle to upright on the roof rack. It uses a gas lift to take the actually do the lifting, you just push it in the right direction. We used one for many years to load a full-sized touring tandem.
Failing that, there is a roof rack with a sliding section. It slides sideways and hinges down the side of the vehicle. You strap the tandem to it and then lift and slide onto the roof.

On our last T5, we had a Witter tow-bar mounted rack. This was basically an upright tube forked at the top with two horizontal bars sticking out backwards. We found it easy to hang a full sized tandem on the rack with the wheels removed. The wheels also hung on the rack. You do need a tow bar and a trailer light board. This worked well until the ferry company imposed the 5 metre rule.

These are all expensive options. I already have a Pendle tandem carrier, and can load my heavy Thorn expedition tandem onto my 1.64m high car. I am thinking that if I can use something already used in the van, such as luggage crates, to create a sufficiently robust 30cm step, I may be able to manage to load the tandem onto the van. But I need to wait for the delivery of the van to find out.

IMG_1968 (800x600).jpg

I'm getting hold of a Thule Raceway rack to try out (there are versions for two or three bikes). It's listed as compatible with the T6 tailgate. Will post how I get on:thumb

I'm getting hold of a Thule Raceway rack to try out (there are versions for two or three bikes). It's listed as compatible with the T6 tailgate. Will post how I get on:thumb
Excellent! That will be really useful. Thank you.

These are all expensive options. I already have a Pendle tandem carrier, and can load my heavy Thorn expedition tandem onto my 1.64m high car. I am thinking that if I can use something already used in the van, such as luggage crates, to create a sufficiently robust 30cm step, I may be able to manage to load the tandem onto the van. But I need to wait for the delivery of the van to find out.

View attachment 16192
Nice tandem & trailer. :) Looks like you're on an ex-railway viaduct. Plym Valley?
I managed to get a very robust steel folding stool from a camping shop. It's about 30cm tall I'd say.

Here are some pics of the Thule Raceway rack fitted. Will also take a second MTB no probs. The 3-bike version is, I believe, identical apart from longer arms. The arms can be angled individually so you can adjust the angle / height of the bikes. Did a 30 mile trip as shown with no problems, loosening, paint marking etc. Very quick and easy to refit and remove the rack once you've worked out the setup you want. We never carry more than two bikes so the VW racks are a bit OTT for us really. The arms can be folded flat against the tailgate when not carrying bikes. Set up as shown the rear visibility is still pretty good and the reversing camera, high brake light and number plate are only slightly obscured.Thule Raceway 1.jpg Thule Raceway 2.jpg Thule Raceway 3.jpg
So far very happy with it. Hope this is some help. Any questions please ask :thumb
A couple more just to show how it folds down: -
Thule Raceway 4.jpg

Thule Raceway 5.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the Thule Raceway rack fitted. Will also take a second MTB no probs. The 3-bike version is, I believe, identical apart from longer arms. The arms can be angled individually so you can adjust the angle / height of the bikes. Did a 30 mile trip as shown with no problems, loosening, paint marking etc. Very quick and easy to refit and remove the rack once you've worked out the setup you want. We never carry more than two bikes so the VW racks are a bit OTT for us really. The arms can be folded flat against the tailgate when not carrying bikes. Set up as shown the rear visibility is still pretty good and the reversing camera, high brake light and number plate are only slightly obscured.View attachment 16393 View attachment 16394 View attachment 16395
So far very happy with it. Hope this is some help. Any questions please ask :thumb
A couple more just to show how it folds down: -
View attachment 16419

View attachment 16420

This looks like a very useful rack that can also be easily removed when not in use. It also allows the carrying of something with a less conventional frame. I can also see that it does not restrict the motion of the rear wiper.
Thank you. :)

This looks like a very useful rack that can also be easily removed when not in use. It also allows the carrying of something with a less conventional frame. I can also see that it does not restrict the motion of the rear wiper.
Thank you. :)
Thanks. Yes I set angle set as close as possible to the rear window without it blocking the wiper. It also gives the possibility to keep the bikes below roof height as each arm is independently adjustable. Getting it on and off takes seconds by leaving the top support cable lengths as originally set up and then attach and release the rack by adjusting the bottom ones. Also when fitted the cables can be locked with a key lock.

I'd not seen this one. Looks good and certainly an option.

Mike

I'd not seen this one. Looks good and certainly an option.

Mike
If you wanted to try one Halfords do free returns at their stores. Their prices seemed competitive too. That was my backup plan but ended up keeping it:thumb

If you wanted to try one Halfords do free returns at their stores. Their prices seemed competitive too. That was my backup plan but ended up keeping it:thumb
Thanks.

Mike

Having spent the last couple of hours reading through old threads on this forum i am still a little somewhat confused. Did we finally get to the bottom off the "does the old style T5 rack fit the T6"? IE old shape new brackets, or are we stuck with the "ugly T6 ones"?

Having spent the last couple of hours reading through old threads on this forum i am still a little somewhat confused. Did we finally get to the bottom off the "does the old style T5 rack fit the T6"? IE old shape new brackets, or are we stuck with the "ugly T6 ones"?
You can order either the new shape or old shape for the T6. It has to be specifically for the t6 though. Can't put a t5 rack on a t6.

You can order either the new shape or old shape for the T6. It has to be specifically for the t6 though. Can't put a t5 rack on a t6.

Cheers Dave,

Where is the best place to buy these from? when i say best i mean the cheapest.
Do i go through the dealer or is there still someone on the forum who sells them?