Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 bike rack

Scorps

Scorps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Got home from day trip today, to find my bike rack was in the open position. Has anyone else had this problem?

Got home from day trip today, to find my bike rack was in the open position. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes ours drops down periodically. Keep meaning to put a strap round it.

I don't trust the retaining clips, I use the shortest bike clamp and put it at the side and clamp both frames together.
That's a good idea I was thinking of Velcro strap

We use the outermost wheel retaining straps to attach the rack when closed to the top of the bike rack frame attached to the back door. Basically, fold the bike rack and you will see straps line up well and no need for additional straps/equipment.

The above is probably not the best solution for the vertically challenged but works well for us

We use the outermost wheel retaining straps to attach the rack when closed to the top of the bike rack frame attached to the back door. Basically, fold the bike rack and you will see straps line up well and no need for additional straps/equipment.

The above is probably not the best solution for the vertically challenged but works well for us
Thanks for the advice I'll give this a go :thumb

Such a good idea, thanks

We have the old T5 bike rack (Kylie) on our T6 and I just strap it closed using the straps from bike rack rail number 4. No issues at all. (I use a step so I can see/ be sure it is fully secured).

That is probably because one or more of the stands for the wheels are positioned so the rack does not lock in probably … then it will open again.

Kmann is right check your wheel holders and straps aren't getting in the way. The rack stays up if properly clamped in. You should be able to tell or feel when you close it if it hasn't properly engaged and then work out which wheel holder is the problem. I guarantee where your bikes fit best in wheel holders will not be where the clamps like it so take a photo or mark where the holders go to save faffing time when loading.

That is probably because one or more of the stands for the wheels are positioned so the rack does not lock in probably … then it will open again.
There was nothing fouling it and the wheel holders were well clear

There was nothing fouling it and the wheel holders were well clear

Sounds really odd. The only thin I can think of is that someone has put it down or you unaware have hit something in reverse (The holder will come down, if you have something to push hard in it - see arrow on the picture below). It is my experience that the holders are quite tight when proper engaged.

IMG_5135.jpg

Anyway here is a picture of that I meant in my earlier post.

IMG_5130.JPG

Last edited:
On our Factory Tour we had the experience that the frame holders came loose and the bikes turned over and were only held by the wheelbases. After the first time, I tightened everything, but after 50-10 km it tilted again, and then the one foot base actually broke off.

I had to take everything off and turn the frame holders so that the were grabbing from the top (supported by gravity just in case).

I have never seen that before, and it is most likely my mistake, not securing everything was in proper place. Lucky the bikes did not fall onto the Road. Could have been a disaster.

Be aware of tightening the holders, when you move them. The piece that grabs the bike rack has to be secured well.

image1.png

Sounds really odd. The only thin I can think of is that someone has put it down or you unaware have hit something in reverse (The holder will come down, if you have something to push hard in it - see arrow on the picture below). It is my experience that the holders are quite tight when proper engaged.

View attachment 22706

Anyway here is a picture of that I meant in my earlier post.

View attachment 22699
The rack was definitely up when I left the car park, not obstructed by the wheel holders and straps. It's when I reversed on to my drive and got out I noticed it was down. I was lucky I never reversed close to the garage door like I normally do as I would have a repair bill now.

My T6 bike rack (ugly) drops down too. It did it whilst driving 3 times on one journey. None of the wheel rests were getting in the way. The retaining clips don't seem fit for purpose for the weight of the rack. Mine is now tied up with a bungee. I'm going to discuss with Breeze Totton, when I'm next in there.

It is really strange some of you have this problem. On my T6 rack, I have to use some force to pull the platform from the holders? I guess there must be a constructional difference?

My bike rack has dropped but each time it was because the wheel clamps did not allow the rack to be fully locked in. For security it probably best to use a strap as in the examples already quoted. Happened to me while I was reversing in a VW dealership just missed the bonnet of the car behind!

Last edited:
My bike rack has dropped but each time it was because the wheel clamps did not allow the rack to be fully locked in. For security it probably best to use a strap as in the examples already quoted. Happened to me while I was reversing in a VW dealership just missed the bonnet of the car behind!
If you slide the wheel chocks fully to the outside edge of the rack it means the rack will fully clip in the closed position.

It is really strange some of you have this problem. On my T6 rack, I have to use some force to pull the platform from the holders? I guess there must be a constructional difference?
Mine is the same as yours. A good firm clip in. No dropping here.

Mine is the same as yours. A good firm clip in. No dropping here.
Mine is quite a strong push but still managed to come down. I use the small bike clamp now to secure just in case.

I didn't know there were supposed to be clips! My 'T5 rack on T6' has always been held vertical by two wheel straps ... o_O

Last edited:
mine too has done this. it's not the wheel holders fouling but it never quite goes HOME. I will add pics later but I removed the 4th bike holder completely as that hit first when pushed up. but there is still a gap where the clamps aren't fully home around the verticals.

I added my recent experience of this to another thread here as I hadn’t spotted this one

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-bike-rack.19371/

Key points are it did it twice in one journey - the second one after we’d checked it. We completed the journey with the rack down, a driver following us may have needed an underwear change.
It sounded like a bomb going off at the back of the Van when it happened - we were on the Motorway so something we definitely couldn’t miss.

Reading through the thread -
Using the wheel straps to secure it - Nice idea, has anyone’s rack come undone using this? The plastic is pretty soft on the straps and the force it opened with on ours would probably strip some of the threads. (I’m guessing you can buy spares though?).

The 4th clamp is a nice idea but I assume takes a little while to set up? Will take a look at that today.

Ultimately though - VW have introduced a new bike rack that is prone to opening whilst driving. I can Heath Robinson my own solution but this is something VW should be sorting out. It just needs one or two clips at the top.

My Atera Strada has a really clear / simple mechanism to make sure you know the rack is properly locked when setting off. Granted it’s a completely different style of rack but VW engineering’s (or whoever manufactures it) faith in a plastic cantilever lock alone has proven to be misplaced.

Last edited:
Also, is it possible to change the thread title to something like “ T6 Bike rack dropping whilst driving”? Would make it a lot easier to find using the search. :)

Have a look where the 2 black clamps are on the rack. If they are too high up it wont go home,they need to be near the bottom so the top doesnt hit before the clamps have a full grab. Some people fit them wrongly when building them up new,they come off easily to move.mine used to drop too,looking at some internet pics i saw that mine were alot higher up so i moved them down and its been fine since