Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 bike rack.

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just had the new T6 bike rack fitted. In the instructions it advises that is would be better to have stronger gas struts fitted to deal with the extra load. Has anyone here done this ? Is it really necessary?

Thanks

Sonas

Bike racks are a dealer fit option so the factory would not install more powerful spec struts I think?

Try it and see - guess is it will pop up just the same as normal especially as unloaded much of the [not that significant] weight is at the top.

With bikes on it's a different matter of course! You're not supposed to but like many we lift it with up to three bikes on with the use of two people. One to access the boot and one to hold it just in case it drops and kills the other...

I now use a plasterer's support strut to hold the tailgate open. I used to use a boat cover support strut until I did the most brainless thing imaginable- manoeuvred the van forward a few inches with 60Kg of bikes on the tailgate supported by the strut. The strut slipped and fell forward into the boot with the tailgate slamming on top of it...

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Just had the new T6 bike rack fitted. In the instructions it advises that is would be better to have stronger gas struts fitted to deal with the extra load. Has anyone here done this ? Is it really necessary?

Thanks

Sonas
With bikes on there (three) it’s heavy and I either get someone to keep an eye out while I ferret about in the boot or use a bit of wood/broom. It often holds up fine with two bikes. In the cold it can come down with no load. Wasn’t aware updated struts were available but even so unlikely to have bothered with them.

When I had a T4 the struts were going so when I replaced them I got new ones with more pressure to allow for the bike rack. It meant that I could lift the tailgate with one bike on there comfortably, but the downside was my wife struggled to close the boot when empty. For that reason I would not do it again when/if the struts need replacing on our T5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the stronger strut is the 1250N model. Just checked mine (Ocean with dealer fit bike rack fitted) and it has info printed on the strut, on the right hand one, so drivers side. It's feint and small, being blue print on a black strut, but it does say 1250N if you look carefully. Check yours and see what it says.