Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Bike Rack

brianpilk

brianpilk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Had a new Bike Rack fitted to our Cali last week (Liverpool VW). Just returned from Bala after a couple of wet days with our 2 bikes which (as per the recommendation) I installed in positions 1 & 2. I removed the arms for positions 3 & 4.
However here is my problem, I actually had to heave them onto the rack using a step ladder, duly clamped them up and locked, all fine. When I got to the other end had to borrow a ladder to remove bikes. Now I am not a "Short Arse" (having played Rugby in the Second Row until the age of 42) I had no chance of unlocking position 1 in particular, without being on a ladder, do I need to take a ladder, or maybe a couple of Prop forwards mates to give me a boost every time I go away? Don't think Polly would be too pleased, having to feed us all!
Sleeping arrangements could prove interesting!
All answers appreciated rude or otherwise.

Had a new Bike Rack fitted to our Cali last week (Liverpool VW). Just returned from Bala after a couple of wet days with our 2 bikes which (as per the recommendation) I installed in positions 1 & 2. I removed the arms for positions 3 & 4.
However here is my problem, I actually had to heave them onto the rack using a step ladder, duly clamped them up and locked, all fine. When I got to the other end had to borrow a ladder to remove bikes. Now I am not a "Short Arse" (having played Rugby in the Second Row until the age of 42) I had no chance of unlocking position 1 in particular, without being on a ladder, do I need to take a ladder, or maybe a couple of Prop forwards mates to give me a boost every time I go away? Don't think Polly would be too pleased, having to feed us all!

I have arm 1 at the far left and arm 2 at the far right. Arm 3 goes in the middle. I can lock and unlock from the side of the rack.

I’m 6’.

I have arm 1 at the far left and arm 2 at the far right. Arm 3 goes in the middle. I can lock and unlock from the side of the rack.

I’m 6’.

I’m 6’.
Thanks Tom, will give it a try in the morning , but the crossbar dictates positioning to a certain extent?

Thanks Tom, will give it a try in the morning , but the crossbar dictates positioning to a certain extent?

Yes #1 bike goes front wheel to right.

#2 bike goes the other way around.

#3 bike is a child’s bike and the long arm needs to go through the frames of #1 and #2.

It’s different when we take the Bromptons.

When taking bikes on the rack I do take a folding double step in the van or I’d never reach. It doesn’t take much room as it folds relatively flat

Hi, I was not gifted with height, unfortunately! We bring 4 bikes with us (T6) & I can manage them myself - I invested in a folding step. I got a taller one than those I usually see - it’s about 40-50cm tall (picked it up for €14 in our local hardware shop). It’s one of the most useful things I’ve bought for the Cali: doubles up as a step when I need to reach the roof or cleaning the windscreen and makes a great spare seat when eating outside. I usually keep it to one side in the boot, but when the bikes are loaded on, I store it under a sleeping bag on the bed (rear shelf).

Yes #1 bike goes front wheel to right.

#2 bike goes the other way around.

#3 bike is a child’s bike and the long arm needs to go through the frames of #1 and #2.

It’s different when we take the Bromptons.

Well thanks one and all for your input to my problem ...... SOLVED
Tom you were spot on. With the sun shining on me this afternoon, & adopting a more measured approach, I saw my error immediately. I had fitted the arms the wrong way round so that the Star Head/Lock were pointing to the sky instead of to the ground. Once I turned them over, no problem, feet remained on terra firma & Bikes fitted a treat. In mitigation when I fitted them last time it was chucking it down. I am such a Duck Egg, at least that's what I think Polly called me!

I'm 5 ft 7 and need to put a foot on bumper to lock and unlock first bike at back, I've not marked the bumper that I notice

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I'm 5 ft 7 and need to put a foot on bumper to lock and unlock first bike at back, I've not marked the bumper that I notice

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Thanks for reply, but turns out I had fitted the jaws upside down, I currently weigh in at 161/2 stones, so not risking climbing on the bumper