Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California order nearly in - last minute option jitters!

We have an order in for a bamboo green. Hopefully arrive in next few weeks in London so if you don't get chance to see one before then you are welcome to come and take a look.
That's really kind, thanks. Not doubt there'll be an announcement when it lands!

I think colour is very tough with the Cali because choices are so limited compared to the rest of the VW range, it seems. I started with silver, then went to white and now settled on Indium silver with the black interior on the T6 Beach. The result is that it should be smart, easily to resell, not look like a van and also not stand out on a hillside i.e. great for stealth camping. I would love to have been more adventurous, but felt this was the best balance for me.

FWIW I quite like the bamboo green and think it cuts a nice balance between 'not ordinary', smart and low-key in wild places. I thinks it goes better with the light interior on the Ocean/Beach (rather than Kutamo black on the Beach),but I wanted the dark interior so it kinda ruled it out. I also think grape yellow is pretty fab for those who are happy to stand out! Acapulco blue was 'nice' but I would rather it had been a stronger/richer blue, rather like the old Olympic blue. All personal, of course.
I agree with you on the blues - our 05 Caravelle is a darker, but brighter blue (don't know the colour name, just the code).
The yellow is striking, but a little too much. The red seems a wholesome red - saw that on a t6sportline with white bumpers at Preston...
Having seen a two-tone T6Caravelle (red lower,white upper) at Preston, and seen continental customers can get Californias in two-tone lower in cherry red, bamboo green, Acapulco blue and mojave biege, we feel a bit miffed that we Brits don't get that choice - a really iconic look. Check out the VW Konfigurator for the choices.
Anyway, well try and see a Bamboo green vehicle and confirm it's to out liking.

There are some colour's I would not buy a Cali and could not live with, there are other's I could learn to live with. So if buying new then for me once I have decided -- Ocean or Beach -- Auto or Manual and engine size. The colour us the most imprtant choice for me get it wrong and you will have to learn to live with it for the next number of years. I would go out of my way to see a T6 or a Caddy in the colour choice if it was not white black or silver. Would not buy blind. Lot of money to spend and get in wrong. (my view)

There are some colour's I would not buy a Cali and could not live with, there are other's I could learn to live with. So if buying new then for me once I have decided -- Ocean or Beach -- Auto or Manual and engine size. The colour us the most imprtant choice for me get it wrong and you will have to learn to live with it for the next number of years. I would go out of my way to see a T6 or a Caddy in the colour choice if it was not white black or silver. Would not buy blind. Lot of money to spend and get in wrong. (my view)

Whoops, replied without a reply - Tablets! And just found that I can't find a way of editing one of my posts.. It's it possible?

Regarding colours - Sound advice Andy, we have a plan to get to Leicester tomorrow - only a slight detour!

Whoops, replied without a reply - Tablets! And just found that I can't find a way of editing one of my posts.. It's it possible?

Regarding colours - Sound advice Andy, we have a plan to get to Leicester tomorrow - only a slight detour!

To edit posts you have to be a VIP Member.

Thanks, Leicester is not to far, I may give them a call to see if it's still there.
I just rang Parkway Leicester - they still have the Caddy in bamboo garden green. We shall be going there to see it. The Acapulco Blue Ocean will be good to see too - I'm sure it will help make up our minds.

I just rang Parkway Leicester - they still have the Caddy in bamboo garden green. We shall be going there to see it. The Acapulco Blue Ocean will be good to see too - I'm sure it will help make up our minds.
Can you please take plenty of photos of the bamboo green van. I'd love to see them.

Visited Parkway Leicester today and saw a few colours and took a few photos.
Here is the Bamboo Garden Green Caddy (these are all thumbnails, so click on for a larger
VW-Colours-Bamboo-Garden-Green-Caddy-01.jpg VW-Colours-Bamboo-Garden-Green-Caddy-02.jpg
Really difficult to get the colour to show up right (is it green or blue?) even with a DSLR so I took along a colour standard card to give a better chance...
VW Colour - Bamboo Garden Green.jpg
This photo has been colour balanced in Adobe Lightroom so that the White is 'white' and the grey neutral - this should mean the colour is free of influence from lighting, reflections, etc. It does not mean it will look perfect on your monitor/laptop/iPad/tablet, but the standard colours might help!

Also there was a Kombi in Blackberry - another colour which is subtle.
VW Colours Blackberry Kombi 02 (next to black).jpg VW-Colours-Blackberry-Kombi-01.jpg
Another colour card shot
VW Colours - Blackberry.jpg

And also two calis - one in Reflex Silver and the Ocean Demonstrator in Acapulco Blue.Their Beach demo was also in blue.
VW Colours - Reflex Silver & Acupulco Blue Californias.jpg
No colour cards here as they are a little more obvious!

I hope this helps people.

The diversion we took was well worth it as it made up our minds that, of the colours available, the Bamboo Garden Green is the best for us, though we remain uninspired by the range of colours for the Cali.

Last edited:
Wahey - van has arrived and will be registered 1st March! Thanks everyone for their advice

Hi all
This is the spec we have paid deposit for but not finalised. We got 7% discount. DTD was better but wanted to have the dealer local(wish). We were ready to finalise the order but now I have had a few last minute option jitters - mainly driven by the fact that it is such a big decision / investment. The jitters are listed in brackets in the spec. What do people think? Are we missing any vital options that we cannot get later? Are the jitters below to be ignored and should we just get on with it !!?!?! :)

For context we are a family of four. Children are 4 and 6. We will use the van for festivals, weekend trips and camping holidays around UK and Europe. We live in north london so rarely use our car (unless we go out of london) so we have so may use this as main vehicle.

Vehicle
2.0TDI 110kw/ 150ps EU6 7-speed DSG BMT (Should we go for a larger engine? We are unlikely to be towing anything. Would the bigger engine additional weight offset the gain. Given the outlay surely a couple of extra thousand is worth it?)
Paint
Metallic - Bamboo garden green

Options

N2N valley fabric (Should we go for leather instead. Our children vomit regularly! Though even the leather seats 'apparently' need gard x?)
7PF Lumber support manual
Z3F 17 inch davenport wheels
9VP Digital sound package
4Y2 Locakable storage compartment
QE6 Storage Net
8T2 Cruise control+multi-function steering wheel
7X8 Front and rear parking sensors with rear parking camera
ZE7 Leather mulifucntion wheel with radio and telephone controls
Detachable towbar including electrics
NF1 Awning in black
6N2 Mudflaps front and rear
QL0 Privacy glass with heat insulation (eek - would this spoil the view?)
Alternator – uprated 180A. ( We will be going to festivals with the elec hook up. Want the leisure batteries to last as long as possible. This was only option available with our spec. Apparently we can get an upgraded battery later on but not currently available. Hoping this is the right choice.)
Heavy-duty anti-roll bars, front and rear, with standard suspension and shock absorbers.

Dealer Options

Extra comfort mattress (probably the most expensive way of getting a mattress but want to have it ready when the vehicle arrives and not wanting to risk size differences to T5)

Try and leverage some more goodies or ones you have selected to equal the extra 1% + + you could have got elsewhere since you showed your local dealer loyalty!

Not that I am expert but seen comments on bike rack and there are pro's and cons but VW rack stays on (will you get four bikes on it?) - I chose the tow bar and feeling I may have made an expensive mistake but trying to negotiate half price rack but still undecided

Bamboo Green should be called 'Bamboozle' Green because it does look a bit like blue in certain colours and I took sample outside but it was cloudy :( it is an unusual colour and for a long time was on our preferred option list!

Seat covers seem a great idea for puking kids and muddy boots

Would probably ditch the sound system for me since kids probably prefer I pads with ear phones and it is expensive

Tinted Glass essential to reduce temperatures in sunny weather, security from prying eyes and modesty (unless you go upstairs - hah!)

You may consider outside shower system to hose down muddy welly's? We chose this to hose down our two little dogs

Don't forget to think about rear window wiper/washer but consider trade off for double glazed units (see previous threads and uncertainty of this)

Note you skipped on sat nav (me too) and going for a Tom Tom? (I could not justify cost and wanted other stuff) However we did choose the App Connect so that we could link an iPad to use as a sat nav if we wanted and also for a media interface off our iPhone etc

Heated front window is useful in winter and I have a Volvo which I have had for almost three years and just discovered this feature this winter and its brilliant to save on the smelly ice sprays and scrapers! (really safe and convenient option and ice just melts away in front of your eyes!)

We went for side scans and with two kids its not a bad safety option to keep you focused especially for cars that creep up on the passenger side

Good luck and whatever you choose you will be happy and like me will always think 'what if'!! Kids will love it even if it was a beaten up old bus so they will be completely smitten when you take off on your first trip!!

Good list. Similar decision points to me and slight differences in choices that are really just personal preferences.

The trade off with the rear insulated window is with a heated window. You get washer and wiper whatever option you choose.

I know some time has passed but would you be able to post a picture of your Bamboo Green as we have placed an order for the same colour and have some concerns?

What are your concerns? I was keen on this colour but Mrs DM over-ruled me.

I have seen it. It's one of those colours that looks very different in different light conditions. Quite green in natural light, quite gold in artificial light. If you are concerned I suggest you try to find one at a dealers rather than rely upon photos for the reason above.

I know photos aren't idea but the problem is that it is a rare colour and I have spoken to several dealers within reach and none of them have anything with that colour.

Get on to Google and do search for "california+bamboo+green" plenty come up.

Give you some idea. It's a fab colour. Sign on the dotted !

We were undecided between Acapulco Blue and Bamboo Green, but in the end we opted for the blue. The green looks lovely tough and it was a hard decision for us!

I know photos aren't idea but the problem is that it is a rare colour and I have spoken to several dealers within reach and none of them have anything with that colour.
Ask about Caddys as well as it is a colour option for them. Not quite the same but more representative than a car.

The photo in our profile should help.
We love our Cali but don't think we would choose the colour again. It does look a lot nicer in the bright sunshine.
The advantage of having a slightly drab colour scheme is that it does not stand out when left on a London street

The advantage of having a slightly drab colour scheme is that it does not stand out when left on a London street
Interesting - one of the reasons we chose Grape Yellow was because it does stand out on a London street:
  • less chance of having wing mirrors taken out in narrow streets
  • less chance of theft as a thief would feel more exposed driving off in a vibrant colour
Or so we thought...

Back