Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 headlight bulb change - do i need to make friends with The Borrowers?

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Read the manual, searched on here, never had trouble changing bulbs on any car before but at a loss as to how you are meant to access the headlamp bulbs on the T6. There is about 1" clearance behind the unit between it and the air filter. Any tricks? Feel i must be missing something obvious - perhaps it s the heat.:cool:

Changing bulbs on cars now a days needs very small hands indeed ...
Was just changing one on the wifes Renault Scenic yesterday...oh boy cramps in my hand.
On T5/6 indeed also very little clearance fitting bulbs....

Not looked at the headlight unit but the rear light cluster is lovely and easy, the whole thing unscrews and then you just slide the two parts apart to gain access the bulbs.
The headlight doesn't do similar then I assume?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Not unless I missed something obvious but I was tempted to whip the headlamp unit out. I have now done it but it does seam harder than it should be - I am pretty dexterous - I dread to think what it would be like with cold hands on a rainy february day by the roadside.

Just drive around with 1 headlight out, everyone else does:mad:

It amazes me how many people do - in many ways much more dangerous than no headlights as it makes a van appear like a motorbike.

Hi there, I too am struggling to get the headlight bulbs out our T6 :(
I'm wanting to replace them for something a tad brighter as I'm NOT impressed with what is there just now, the side lights seem just as bright as my main beam.

Can you tell me what size bulbs the were ?

Cheers Richy

It amazes me how many people do - in many ways much more dangerous than no headlights as it makes a van appear like a motorbike.
And yet the manufacturers make it almost impossible to easily change. The Renault Modus needs the front bumper to come off, and even the Ford Focus Estates that were police vehicles locally had to have the mechanics out to change the headlight bulbs as a few extra bits had to be removed to do it easily.
Bonkers...

Hi there, I too am struggling to get the headlight bulbs out our T6 :(
I'm wanting to replace them for something a tad brighter as I'm NOT impressed with what is there just now, the side lights seem just as bright as my main beam.

Can you tell me what size bulbs the were ?

Cheers Richy
Depends on the headlight.
H4 for the single headlight, H7 for the twins - I was looking it up yesterday as I was wondering about brighter high beam bulbs.

Also depends if it's a Beach or an SE they take different types on the T5, Don't know about the T6. There are a couple of threads from 2014 on the different specs for the T5.

For the T6 Beach it is H4 as standard or H7 if you have the Exterior Pack option

And yet the manufacturers make it almost impossible to easily change. The Renault Modus needs the front bumper to come off, and even the Ford Focus Estates that were police vehicles locally had to have the mechanics out to change the headlight bulbs as a few extra bits had to be removed to do it easily.
Bonkers...
And the French make us carry spare bulbs ..like you could ever change one at the roadside in a modern French car :)

Thanks guys,
Ive been advised on Osram nightbreakers by our local garage.

I'll give them a try before I start raiding the piggy bank for upgrading the full lights :(

image.jpg Well I had a go at changing all my H7 bulbs and the side light bulbs also to 120% brighter bulbs to try and make the lights better.

I bought the bulbs from Halfords and the sales person told me how easy it is to change them.

Initially it looked like my large hands would never squeeze into the space but after reading the handbook and familiarising myself with the clips I had a go...

Success! I managed it. It's a bit fiddly but it really helps to look inside the light from outside the vehicle to position and guide the bulbs back in.

Another thing to note is the bulbs have a tab at the bottom for the main beam and the tab is at the top for the dipped beam.

Other than that don't take the wires off the back until the bulb is out of its housing as it's easier to grab and manipulate the bulb by holding the wires.

Now I need to wait to dark to see if it's better and by how much. One last thing is that I changed the side lights to bright white so they matched the whiter headlights.

Next job is the DRL's....

View attachment 21161 Well I had a go at changing all my H7 bulbs and the side light bulbs also to 120% brighter bulbs to try and make the lights better.

I bought the bulbs from Halfords and the sales person told me how easy it is to change them.

Initially it looked like my large hands would never squeeze into the space but after reading the handbook and familiarising myself with the clips I had a go...

Success! I managed it. It's a bit fiddly but it really helps to look inside the light from outside the vehicle to position and guide the bulbs back in.

Another thing to note is the bulbs have a tab at the bottom for the main beam and the tab is at the top for the dipped beam.

Other than that don't take the wires off the back until the bulb is out of its housing as it's easier to grab and manipulate the bulb by holding the wires.

Now I need to wait to dark to see if it's better and by how much. One last thing is that I changed the side lights to bright white so they matched the whiter headlights.

Next job is the DRL's....

Thanks I'm about to try and change out the standard bulbs for 'Osram Nightbreakers'. tried once before but gave up as I ran out of time. To be clear, do you have to remove the air filter on the drivers side ?? Can't see how you can even get the old bulb out ??
Asked the main dealer to fit them as I've just had my first service but got the same old excuse how they couldn't possibly fit non VW parts !!! Very helpful !!
I've had LED DRL's for some time, easier to fit by the way but on my second set as they don't last long before they were showing a 'bulb fault' on the dashboard and were flickering. A bulb change solved it but have ordered a set from "Travelinlite", Elliot Broody, which I believe are tested and won't show a fault or flicker. A bit dearer at ÂŁ25 but worth it.

Thanks I'm about to try and change out the standard bulbs for 'Osram Nightbreakers'. tried once before but gave up as I ran out of time. To be clear, do you have to remove the air filter on the drivers side ?? Can't see how you can even get the old bulb out ??
Asked the main dealer to fit them as I've just had my first service but got the same old excuse how they couldn't possibly fit non VW parts !!! Very helpful !!
I've had LED DRL's for some time, easier to fit by the way but on my second set as they don't last long before they were showing a 'bulb fault' on the dashboard and were flickering. A bulb change solved it but have ordered a set from "Travelinlite", Elliot Broody, which I believe are tested and won't show a fault or flicker. A bit dearer at ÂŁ25 but worth it.

UPDATE -- Well finally changed them out !! Did the passenger side first (easier access) and the connector most definitely didn't just 'pull off ', required some slight leverage with a flat bladed screw driver.
Drivers side, couldn't get access so ended up taking the air filter box not completely off but lifted enough to gain access. On the bright side the connector did just 'pull off ' this time. Will give them a try tonight to see if there is a marked improvement on the woeful standard lights.

UPDATE -- Well finally changed them out !! Did the passenger side first (easier access) and the connector most definitely didn't just 'pull off ', required some slight leverage with a flat bladed screw driver.
Drivers side, couldn't get access so ended up taking the air filter box not completely off but lifted enough to gain access. On the bright side the connector did just 'pull off ' this time. Will give them a try tonight to see if there is a marked improvement on the woeful standard lights.
Forgot to mention in all of this that I am dealing with a T6, sorry !!

Glad to hear that you managed it. I didn't take the air filter off and managed it. I did the battery side first as it was easier to learn how to do it as there was a little more room.

I did the dipped and side bulbs together as it's only possible to change the side lights with the dipped bulb out.

Mine came away easily no need to give any force. The trick putting back was to look through the headlight from outside to align the tabs and then push gently into place.

Can you send me a link for the DRL bulbs that you mention please??

Glad to hear that you managed it. I didn't take the air filter off and managed it. I did the battery side first as it was easier to learn how to do it as there was a little more room.

I did the dipped and side bulbs together as it's only possible to change the side lights with the dipped bulb out.

Mine came away easily no need to give any force. The trick putting back was to look through the headlight from outside to align the tabs and then push gently into place.

Can you send me a link for the DRL bulbs that you mention please??

TravelinLite_T6-Transporter-Parts_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_fsubZ18584448018QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ999806938QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Apparently all bulbs are tested so they don't show a CANBUS error, I think there are 10 T6 related items including DRL's and full set of interior bulbs. Good luck !!

Agree with the above, there was a discussion on this the other week & I listed my steps required to change the bulbs - one of those jobs that are 'easy when you know how' but need a good deal of cussing the first time around.

Just about to change bulbs have t6 ocean 2016 reg are the headlight bulbs H4 or H7

Thanks just order Phillips x-treme bulbs hopefully they will help a little

Nobody has posted how good the difference actually is.
Disappointing results or best kept secret?

Back