Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 In the Press

Yes the California's are popular but after reading there not without there problems dual mast flywheels roof corrosion issues that are temporary masked with zink primer I've spoken to many painters about this yes it will hold of corrosion for a bit probably till around the time there's no warranty also egr valves failing 180 engines using oil this is a big problem I have read and done extensive research and the price people are asking for used California's and the prices Topgear are stating the beech is starting at 30 the se shouldn't be more than they are new now so once there released this will have to have an impact on the t5 figures we've decided to wait because hopefully the roofs will be without problems and the new engines hopefully will be with out problems and as the t5 California are not cheap for not much more we can have a new t6 hopefully we figured they've changed the engines for a reason probably emissions but a friend of ours has a 2 litre t5 done 109k and has had a lot of problems after 60k so we are waiting for the t6 fingers crossed this will be ok

Don't forget the taxes. Each country has different tax regimes on new vehicles and it is not uncommon for base spec vehicles to be very, very basic with a very long, and costly, accessories list to choose from.
The present T5.1 California SE is about £20,000 more than the basic spec Van it is built on BUT it does have the electric pop top, kitchen, fridge, parking heater, swivel seats, sliding bed etc: which makes up the difference.

Yes the California's are popular but after reading there not without there problems dual mast flywheels roof corrosion issues that are temporary masked with zink primer I've spoken to many painters about this yes it will hold of corrosion for a bit probably till around the time there's no warranty also egr valves failing 180 engines using oil this is a big problem I have read and done extensive research and the price people are asking for used California's and the prices Topgear are stating the beech is starting at 30 the se shouldn't be more than they are new now so once there released this will have to have an impact on the t5 figures we've decided to wait because hopefully the roofs will be without problems and the new engines hopefully will be with out problems and as the t5 California are not cheap for not much more we can have a new t6 hopefully we figured they've changed the engines for a reason probably emissions but a friend of ours has a 2 litre t5 done 109k and has had a lot of problems after 60k so we are waiting for the t6 fingers crossed this will be ok

Well ...all i can say is that its a shame for the few of the many t5 Cali owners who have had problems because ive had none ,and three other cali owners i know have had no issues, mine is fully loaded from the factory and is a dream with no hints of problems .. no rust ,no engine issues , so may be im one of the lucky ones or may be VW no what they are doing , i seem to think they have a good track record...? just a fantastic van and the t6 is based on its predasesors sucsess hence it looking more or less the same apart from a new dash which as it happens is a nice touch.

Best wait until 2020 before you buy a T6 so that you can see if there are any reliability issues, but then again the T7 will hopefully sort those out in 2021. :confused:

I just love all this talk about residuals.

We don't even know when the T6 is appearing, let alone have seen a price list, second hand t5's fly out of the door and in the meantime amidst all this wondrous speculation I'm having a ball finding out just how good the T5 is and just where it can get me to next.

My next vehicle when I decide to change this one will be a California. It's been quite the best vehicle that I have ever had for living up to it's promises.

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/vans/volkswagen/transporter/

:Nailbiting I found less problems reported on the 03 to 09 and more problems reported on the 2010 on
As we are going to use this huge purchase frequently rather than most that probably get used 10 times a year I was quite taken back by people's reports check the link out

We are aware all vehicles have problems but you don't spend the amount you do when buying a California on your every day car anyway it seems you guys are having 0 problems so enjoy the honeymoon it would seem.

Yeah a great site. A whole 9 road test reports filed in 2014, very representative of the number of T5s sold, especially as one of the reports is from South Africa.

If you want to buy a T6, then buy a T6. Just don't fool yourself that the comparable model with accessories is going to be cheaper in T6 form than the T5 or that the T6 is going to be super reliable compared to its predecessor, it won't. The Environmental requirements of EU 6 will see to that.

Have fun, I am in my T5.

I think that this guy is just frustrated that we are all enjoying our Cali's here and now.

All these people waiting for a T6 Cali may not get it to use until summer 2017 if all these reports are true. Also I hate to think of all the new teething problems and recalls there will be with the new engines.

I personally would go and buy a dealer stock or used T5 Cali, you could get knocked down by a bus next week!

I wasn't a guy last time I looked kick for now we will have to keep using the Audi R8 and the tent:thumb

Why the need to bang on about how much the cali costs?

New for New it cost me around £10k more than the car I replaced it with, no big deal when in return I will probably experience half the depreciation of the car that I traded it in for.

In frequency of use I am in my Cali every week, looking to spend my 45th night this year in it next Wednesday, and apart from the convenience and the joy of a Lifestyle the savings in hotel bills that I have so far experienced has more than paid for the vehicle depreciation. I just wish I could park it somewhere in London as that would have been another £150 saved last Wednesday!

Yes it is a big chunk of money to have tied up in any asset, but the cost of ownership are lower than the car I traded it in for, the economies to be achieved with it are variable but can be huge and the joy of ownership are far greater than any vehicle that I owned.

I would love to see the R8 loaded up for camping, can we have some pictures please? the glovebox on the T5 is bigger than the boot of an R8 or do you tow a little camping trailer from halfords?

handy having the picnic table permanently attached to the rear of the car like that! you would find the cali has a far better storage solution, fitting it in the door panel rather than on a bit of unistrut on the bootlid:happy

We are aware all vehicles have problems but you don't spend the amount you do when buying a California on your every day car

Cheaper than the R8 you are currently using for camping.

It is a van conversion when all is said and done, over 2 million T5's and over 50000 Californias sold but you always find niggles, problems, faults especially on the internet forums and review sites. People are more likely to leave a scathing review of a bad meal than a glowing review of a good meal. The T6 will have it's own faults some probably carried over from the T5, i would love to swap in time for T6 but i am out there using mine now safe in the knowledge that there will always be a buyer for the T5 Cali when i come to sell. Huge fun to be had no matter what age or model your Cali is, but you could be waiting a long time for a more expensive T6 (less discount probably) to arrive and expecting it to be more reliable or better as a camper van is very naive or optimistic.

Would be fun getting that onto some of the campsites I've been on recently!

Back