Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean Lowering (a bit)

nickdrums

nickdrums

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So, I've decided to take the plunge and have my California Ocean lowered a bit. I looked at all the options and spoke to some very knowledgeable people, and ended up deciding to go for the most moderate approach I can see, which is the VW approved Eibach 30mm lowering springs as fitted on the Sportline vans. To my surprise, VW Van Centre in Birmingham was the cheapest place to get this done, at £465 including VAT. It's all happening next Friday. I'm sticking with my 17" Cascavel wheels, and hoping for a slightly firmer, less wallowy ride and a slightly better look - let's see!

Here are some "before" photos - stay tuned for an update next weekend!

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

Booked in for the following Monday for lowering. Current centre of wheel to underside of wheel arch is 420mms on the rear and an jaw dropping 455mm on the front

I always thought is was a good thing to have a higher car so you can pass over curbestones and other high stuff on the roads without having to worry about scraping or damaging the underside of your vehicle.
For me personally, a lowered California is not that nice.
I would even prefer to get the back end 30 mm higher to get even tyre wear.

I don't know anyhow how you could lower the Cali for 42 cm on the rear. Are you cutting holes in your wheelarches?
42 mm is more than enough.

Lowering is 3cm.

OK so here is the after picture. I've only driven the modified van once - back from the van centre yesterday - but I really liked the new ride - still very smooth (I reckon smoother) but much less wallowy. As you can see you have to look closely to perceive a visual difference, but that's what I wanted - was not after too racy a look.

IMG_7234.jpg

I have been considering having this done also so great to hear that you are pleased with the drive.
It does look like the front has ended up lower than the back though so I would be interested to know if this
was intentional and does it mean the table / bed are not level when the van is parked on a level pitch?

I have been considering having this done also so great to hear that you are pleased with the drive.
It does look like the front has ended up lower than the back though so I would be interested to know if this
was intentional and does it mean the table / bed are not level when the van is parked on a level pitch?

It looks better.

Hmm good question. The parking out front is as level as any pitch and as you can see my little van spirit level is showing the sink top as slightly nose down but not much. To be honest we tend to sleep with our heads at the front so I normally aim for a definite nose up stance when parked for sleeping anyway so I don’t think this will reverse that.

image.jpg

Thanks for checking. That's flat in my book! If it was a shelf I'd put up I'd be claiming success! Must be a deceiving photo.
Van looks great and definitely moving me closer to a decision.

I measured mine before and after. The Eibach springs dropped the front down 40mm and the rear 20mm. So the heights after were 415mm front / 400mm rear

Hi @nickdrums
How's the ride 3 years down the line? I'm pondering a modest change like yours.

Have to say, I didn't like it in the end. Went from super wobbly to much too hard for me - I was feeling every blemish in our wonderful UK road surfaces. I subsequently opted for VB air suspension and am really pleased with it. Not only can I now choose the ride height (sport is good for getting the car tariff on French tolls), but probably best of all is the self-level when camping. It doesn't cope with everything (obviously), but has allowed me to ditch the chocks and get level is seconds. Expensive, but really good.

Have to say, I didn't like it in the end. Went from super wobbly to much too hard for me - I was feeling every blemish in our wonderful UK road surfaces. I subsequently opted for VB air suspension and am really pleased with it. Not only can I now choose the ride height (sport is good for getting the car tariff on French tolls), but probably best of all is the self-level when camping. It doesn't cope with everything (obviously), but has allowed me to ditch the chocks and get level is seconds. Expensive, but really good.
Can I ask how does the VB ride quality compare to the standard and lowered springs?

I've been on it a good couple of years now, so comparisons a bit hazy, but I do really like it. It's WAY less crashy than on the lowered springs (in sport mode), and in normal mode I feel it's much less boaty than standard springs. Best thing to do is find a place which fits it - they will have vehicles you can take out with it on and see how it feels. I went to Dirty Weekenders in Worcester, and would highly recommend them.

I've been on it a good couple of years now, so comparisons a bit hazy, but I do really like it. It's WAY less crashy than on the lowered springs (in sport mode), and in normal mode I feel it's much less boaty than standard springs. Best thing to do is find a place which fits it - they will have vehicles you can take out with it on and see how it feels. I went to Dirty Weekenders in Worcester, and would highly recommend them.
Can I ask if you have had any issues with the ACC after the VB install? Was admiring a conversion at Etties Field a few weeks back and the owner mentioned ACC was playing up after VB install. Not liking the different ride heights apparently. He was getting pushed between VW and installer each not accepting ownership of the issue. ( Which should surely be the VB installer eh?)

Having Googled ACC, I can tell you I don't have it! I have normal cruise control but not adaptive.

A small point. Lowered springs are not harder…..they’re just, well…..shorter.
You’re ride stiffness is unchanged.

Hey @nickdrums
I’m in Halesowen and should be receiving my Cali Ocean in a couple of months time.
I’m wanting VB air, as I want adjustable suspension, and a floating on air, wafting down the road feel.
Saw your post and glad you’ve put the place in Worcester as I didn’t want to travel far to get it installled on a brand new Buzz.
Wanted to get VB fitted to keep the 5 year warranty.
So thanks :thumb

Back